• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Caz V Barclays / Woolwich **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent 1st letter requesting details of all default charges on Feb 27th

Received standard letter on 8th March saying they will investigate.

On 20th March I received the bank statements, didnt have to pay £10.

Sent 2nd letter on 22nd March requesting settlement which came to £2932.50 otherwise i would take them to court and also ask for interest at 8% plus costs.

It is now the 27th March and I am waiting for a response.

Not sure what to expect, but I am guessing they will send me a standard letter with a silly offer around £1000 i would guess from looking at other threads, so lets wait and see.

They have 9 days left to respond, I have prepared the next letter giving them 7 days to settle otherwise i will start court proceedings.

So fingers crossed they agree to settle.

Watch this space and i will keep you all informed.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be prepared for a longish haul with Barclays - they like to keep things going until the bitter end

Spoke to them today and they are swamped now - which I am delighted about :D I am also delighted they settled mine! http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/54565-chorlton-barclays.html

If you think my advice has been helpful, please click on the scales to the left :) thank you!

Non illegitimi carborundum

I wish I was a glow worm,

A glow worm's never glum!

How can you be grumpy,

when the sun shines out yer bum?! :p

Amex * 2 *** WON *** Settled

Marbles ****WON*** In full settlement

Capital 1 ***WON*** In full settlement

MBNA ***WON**** In full settlement

Barclaycard ***WON*** In full settlement

Barclays Bank - ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey (Mrs Chorlton) ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey (Mr and Mrs C) - MCOL submitted 16/5/07

I got 9.9% interest (the APR on my account) - they didnt question this at any stage.

I was ready to accept s69 8% interest, but if they dont ask they dont get!

I know wonder, if I had made the calculations based on 20% interest or some random number, if they would ever have noticed ;)

If you think my advice has been helpful, please click on the scales to the left :) thank you!

Non illegitimi carborundum

I wish I was a glow worm,

A glow worm's never glum!

How can you be grumpy,

when the sun shines out yer bum?! :p

Amex * 2 *** WON *** Settled

Marbles ****WON*** In full settlement

Capital 1 ***WON*** In full settlement

MBNA ***WON**** In full settlement

Barclaycard ***WON*** In full settlement

Barclays Bank - ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey (Mrs Chorlton) ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey (Mr and Mrs C) - MCOL submitted 16/5/07

OK I MADE A BOO BOO AND ASKED A QUESTION ON SOMEONE ELSES THREAD, SO I HAVE RETURNED TO MINE, SORRY

NO IS THE ANSWER. I SENT THE FIRST ONE INCLUDING A LIST OF CHARGES AND ASKING FOR A REFUND, HOWEVER IT SAID YOU HAVE 14 DAYS OTHERWISE I WILL TAKE YOU TO COURT, SO WHEN THE DEADLINE IS UP NEXT WEEK, I SEND ANOTHER ONE GIVING 14 DAYS (OTHER SITES SAY 7 DAYS HENCE THE CONFUSION).

AFTER THAT, I THEN TAKE THEM TO COURT AND DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MORE LETTERS OR ANY MORE TIME

HOPE THIS IS RIGHT, CAN SOMEONE JUST CONFIRM THIS.

thanks

CAZ:confused:

Hi Caz, found ya,

sorry didnt mean to sound like i was having a go, but the MODS dont like you to merge threads

Right, your first letter was the request.

Next you send the LBA.

You will prob receive the reply that they are sorry to hear .......and looking into it....but will take about 8 weeks blah blah blah.

this is std.

you will then get their offer of about 1/3 your claim which you accept but intend to recover the full amount.

have a read here

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

Ok thanks, sorry didnt mean to sound offish if i did, big appologies, i didnt mean to i am very grateful for any advise and i dont want to do anything wrong so thanks again

talk soon

i did read the step by step instructions, but i think that because i read the advise on the money expert and they said only give 7 days i have got confused, so now i will only read this site and do what it advises.

Less confusing then

Thanks

caroline

I have just had a phone call from a friend of mine, who was talking to a collegue at work. Their brother works for Barclays and he says that they are settling claims for under £500 almost in full immediately, under £1000 trying an offer then settling, but if for more they are waiting till court.

So there is no point in sending the LBA, he says if you have sent a break down of your claim with a letter stating you have 14 days to settle or you will take them to court, then dont bother sending out another and it will be ignored in most instances, you may as well just go straight to the court and save yourselves two weeks.

Anyone any views on this ?

if you miss out the LBA stage then there may be grounds that the correct procedure was not followed and possibly be struck out for not allowing the defendant enough opportunity to settle.

We all know this would never happen but its a loophole that Barclays could use.

I think the problem is that i used template letters from Money Saving Expert and they seem to say different things to the ones you are all using.

My last letter read as follows

I WOULD LIKE TO REQUEST A REFUND OF ALL THE DEFAULT CHARGES THAT HAVE BEEN APPLIED TO MY ACCOUNT.

UNDER THE UNFAIR TERMS IN CONSUMER CONTRACTS REGULATIONS 1999, CHARGES MUST REFLECT ADMINISTRATION COSTS AND CANNOT BE PUNITIVE. I BELIEVE THAT THE FOLLOWING, RETURNED CHEQUE, UNPAID DIRECT DEBIT, UNPAID STANDING ORDER, UNAUTHORISED DAILY OVERDRAFT FEE, GUARENTEED CHEQUE CARD CHARGES ARE UNLAWFUL AS THEY DO NOT REFLECT THE TRUE COST OF GOING INTO AN UNAUTHORISED OVERDRAFT.

YOU HAVE TAKEN £2932.50 FROM ME, AND I WOULD LIKE TO REQUEST REPAYMENT OF THIS £2932.50 TOTAL SUM. I ALSO ASK YOU TO ENSURE ANY DEFAULT NOTICES ENTERED AGAINST MY CREDIT RECORD ARE REMOVED ENTIRELY.

PLEASE REPAY THIS MONEY IN FULL AND REMOVE ANY DEFAULT NOTICES WITHIN 14 DAYS. IF THIS IS NOT DONE, I WILL BEGIN A CLAIM AGAINST YOU FOR THE FULL AMOUNT PLUS INTERST AND MY COSTS

YOURS FAITHFULLY

BLA BLA BLA

IT IS THE LAST PARAGRAPH WHICH HAS LEAD ME INTO CONFUSION.

IF I STATE WHICH I HAVE, YOU HAVE 14 DAYS OR I WILL START A CLAIM AGAINST YOU, BUT THEN SEND ANOTHER LETTER GIVING A FURTHER 14 DAYS WILL THEY NOT THINK I AM WEAK AND LIKELY TO NOT STICK TO MY TIME LINES. OR IS IT A GOOD THING TO SEND ANOTHER LETTER

I WENT BACK ONTO THE MONEY SAVINGS EXPERT SITE AGAIN AND THEY SAY YOU CAN SEND ANOTHER LETTER GIVING ANOTHER 7 DAYS WITH A BREAK DOWN INCLUDING INTEREST. BUT IT IS NOT LIKELY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE AND YOU CAN SKIP THE NEXT LETTER AND GO STRAIGHT TO COURT.

I KNOW I SHOULD STICK TO ONE SITE AND I HAD INTENDED TO STICK TO THE ADVISE ON HERE, BUT AS I STARTED WITH DIFFERENT LETTERS TO EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD I CONTINUE DOWN THAT ROAD, OR JUST SWITCH.

ANY ADVISE, I KNOW I AM REPEATING MYSELF BUT I DONT WANT TO MAKE A MESS OF THIS , IT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME AND MY CHILDREN TO GET THIS MONEY, IT IS SCARY. IT WILL CHANGE OUR LIVES.

HELP PLEASE

CAZ

Ok Me Again, I Know I Am Being A Real Pain, But I Have Just Been On Your Template Of Letters And Understand Where The Confusion Is. On Your Sar You State You Give Them 14 Days And If You Do Not Get A Responce Or Settlement You Will Send Them An Lba Giving Them A Further 14 Days.

Mine Did Not Say That, So As It Did Not Say That I Feel Maybe I Should Do As I Stated And Go Straight To The Next Stage That I Stated I Would Take Which Is Court.

So Any Ideas How Is Start This Process And What I Will Need, The Time For Them To Settle Before I Start Court Is Up Next Thursday So I Want To Be Ready To Go.

Help Please Someone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ok Me Again, I Know I Am Being A Real Pain, But I Have Just Been On Your Template Of Letters And Understand Where The Confusion Is. On Your Sar You State You Give Them 14 Days And If You Do Not Get A Responce Or Settlement You Will Send Them An Lba Giving Them A Further 14 Days.

Mine Did Not Say That, So As It Did Not Say That I Feel Maybe I Should Do As I Stated And Go Straight To The Next Stage That I Stated I Would Take Which Is Court.

So Any Ideas How Is Start This Process And What I Will Need, The Time For Them To Settle Before I Start Court Is Up Next Thursday So I Want To Be Ready To Go.

Help Please Someone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hi you mean the Prelim not the SAR, ok if you have only given them 7 days on your LBA you can always wait 14 days. You will have then given them the required time frame. Should they not reply start court action.

Can you also not type in caps please thank you :)

yes sorry i mean the prelim, i havnt sent a LBA only a prelim, which gives them 14 days, unlike your template which gives them 14 days plus another 14 days, mine said only 14 days.

SO what you mean is give them an extra 14 days anyway as a matter of goodwill giving them more time (which i am sure they will need at the moment if the news is correct, and they are inundated)

Ok i will do that. Sorry for typing in caps it is a habbit, i will try to remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks

caz:)

Ok great, thanks for that, they have 6 days left of the prelim. i do not expect to hear anything so i will send out an LBA next Thursday giving them anothe 14 days.

I know i wont hear anything and they wont settle, but this will give me the time needed to look into the court proceedure, so that i understand all i am suppose to do.

thank you so much for your advise.

I will tell all I know.

Caz;)

caz you are doing the right thing.stick to the instructions and stick to your timeframe and you can't go wrong.

i think if you try to take short cuts you could possibly jeapordise your claim.

it takes ages and i should know , it took me exactly six months , but you will get there in the end .

oh and try not to worry too much as i also know it is damned nerve wracking at times.

just think of the interest mounting up.:)

good luck.

Help i just went onto someone elses thread to see how they were getting on and they phoned the bank as they had only been offered a third of what they expected, and they were told that with the new ruling by the OFT that the charges were now £12 so they were sending the difference

I was not aware this was happening and does anyone know anymore, i have been trauling the news and internet and have been unable to find anything.

Anyone any ideas what is going on, are we all about to be throwing hundreds of pounds away on court costs.

help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is no new ruling , only for credit cards .

but people are still claiming those back and winning.

just another scare tactic by the sound of things.

take it all the way and let the judge decide (you will win the banks dare not go to court);)

sounds like someone talking about something they know nothing about, [at barclays] possibly trying it on if the caller sounded a bit green.

The key to phoning is. have all the facts and figures, stay calm, and sound confident, know what you are going to say BEFORE thay answer..

as said there has been no ruling yet, so keep going,

thanks dickeggsy, i love the way if i have a question, i am guarenteed that someone very clever will know the answer on this site.

I guess that makes you very clever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can rest a little bit now, i just keep getting paniky thinking this is too good to be true and something is going to go wrong. For example the day i file in court will be the day they say the banks are correct and it all stops, it would just be my luck.

So thanks again

I am going to continue watching the cricket and stop worrying tonight.

I can save that till tomorrow.

Caz

OFT UPDATE as at 29/03/07:

OFT launches inquiry into bank charges

By Jane Croft and Michael Peel in London

Published: March 29 2007 15:38 | Last updated: March 30 2007 01:51

A full-blown inquiry into retail bank pricing was launched by regulators on Thursday, de­laying a high-profile ruling on bank overdraft charges which, it had been feared, could signal the end of free banking in the UK.

The Office of Fair Trading, which has been investigating overdraft charges, said it needed to do more work on penalty charges which can be as much as £30 a day and would now open an in-depth study into all retail banking.

and...

Threats to free banking have delayed OFT ruling

29 March 2007

The Office of Fair Trading’s delay on announcing limits on bank charges is an acknowledgement that a clampdown on fees could mean an end to free banking for all, leading financial research company Defaqto believes.

Defaqto’s Head of Banking David Black considers that any cap on charges is now likely to be set higher than previous estimates of £12 for certain items.

But he also believes banks could benefit from the introduction of a cap as it would limit the amounts of cash customers can claim as refunds. Currently the Financial Ombudsman Service is dealing with more than 1,000 inquiries a day about bank charges and individual banks are paying out compensation.

The OFT has announced a wide-ranging investigation into bank charges and will not report until the end of the year. Previously it had been expected to issue guidance by April 2007. Chief executive John Fingleton has said consideration has to be given to the effect on people who do not currently incur bank charges as well as those who do.

David Black said: “The banks are caught in something of a cross-fire at the moment. They are enjoying the proceeds of high overdraft fees and charges while also taking a hit by quietly refunding customers who complain. Any cap on charges from the OFT would hit their income going forward but would also set a limit on how much they have to refund.

“For the banks the issue of default or service charges on current accounts is of far greater concern than last year’s reduction of credit card fees to a standard £12. The simple reason is that the sums involved are very much greater.

“It will be imperative to listen to the public pronouncements of the major banks over the course of next six months as they may seek to cut their charges in order to influence the OFT decision.

“It is difficult to second guess the OFT but my expectation is that they will introduce a cap although for certain items it is likely to be higher than the £12 on credit card defaults.”

Some analysts argue that the better off or more financially prudent are currently being subsidised by the less well-off or imprudent. People who do not pay default charges have free banking if they remain in credit although millions do pay for their banking via added value accounts.

Wow Darn3n,

I am shocked and very impressed, i have been searching the internet for the last couple of hours for information, and within 10 minutes of me mentioning it on my thread, you have put everything to rest with all the information i could have needed.

That is great news, so there will be no ruling until the end of the year.

How cool are you, Thanks so much. it makes for an interesting read, i am sure more people will be starting to question it.

Thanks again

Caz