• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part used for testing (and ours reinstalled) as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Welcome say I owe late charges for payments covered by Insurance Company

Ringosgal
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In 2007 I purchased a car from Welcome with a repayment of £345.25 each month.

During the 4 years I only missed one payment quite early on and this was repaid the following month along with the missed payment charge.

In 2009 I was made redundant and was also recovering from a back operation which I had a couple of years earlier but never had the chance to fully rest for my back to heal properly.

As I was paying for PPI within my repayment to Welcome I utlised this as I was not in a position to work between 2009 and 2010 so the payments we made by the insurance company.

Fast forward to May 2011 my car broke down and I called the breakdown service which was also included in the warranty.

I was informed by them that my warranty had come to an end some weeks before

at which point I queried how this could be when I was still paying Welcome, I was advised to call them.

When I called Welcome I was told that I had one final payment outstanding to the tune of £345.25 which was due in June.

I informed them that I would not be making this payment until they could explain to me how I owed this if my warranty had expired - the warranty was included in the agreement.

I received a letter from Welcome indicating that they had refunded me £150 approx as a goodwill gesture.

They say that I still owe them £162 which is the amount of money they claim are for late payment charges.

The late payment charges that they are saying are owed is because the insurance company did not make payment on the days that I used to pay my installments.

I informed Nicole (she is the one who kept calling me) that it was out of my hands and I could not control what days the insurance company made the payment

- the company was used by Welcome and not by me

- I fulfilled my part and that was to issue my sick certificates and sign the declaration form and return to the insurers.

Welcome have until recently called me continuously on my mobile sometimes as late as 7pm asking of my intention to repayment these late payment fees.

I have continuously informed them that I will not be paying it.

Had the car not broken down I would have been none the wiser

and would have made the payment thinking that I had miscalculated my payment dates

not knowing in hindsight that I was paying for something that I could not be held accountable for.

I have written to the FO twice but have yet to receive a reply.

Does anyone know if I am able to claim anything back from Welcome.

I paid extra for PPI yet still they never froze my account so that late payment charges were not applied to it

- I did not even know about this until the insurers enquired of me why Welcome had not frozen it.

Can I take court action against Welcome?

They have posted me a default letter but in it it states the amount of the agreement and the amount paid which are the same figures,

it also states the £162 but does not state what it is for

how can they issue a default letter and show me to have defaulted when the agreement figure and the amount paid figure are one and the same?

They have also told me that they will be passing my case onto debt collectors to which I told them I don't actually give a toss as the car is paid for and they can't take it

- am I correct in this?

Also the car is not in the same name as that on the agreement.

Welcome have tried to spoof me of my money,

they say they deducted some for goodwill and the way I see it is because they realised that they were in effect charging me a full months money when I didn't owe it.

They received payment from the insurance company for a whole year and never in that time did they contact me with regard to any late payment

and now that the agreement was at an end they are trying to take more money out of me which I refuse to pay on the point of principle and morals

- I have told them to take me to court as I am pretty sure I would have a good case.

Has anyone had similar encounters to this. Sorry for going on so long but they have really got on my last nerves.

you are quite correct

however you should nott have been putting upi with all this rubbish

you should have been reclaiming - the lot!!

have you got a copy of your agreement & all the statements?

if not you need to SAR them.

as for the crap that they can take the car - no dice i'm afraid welcome

and they know it!

so to recap

get reclaiming all those penalty charges - letter/late/debt councilling etc etc [anything that says FEE]

get reclaiming the PPI and any other warranty/GAP/life ins you have paid.

you'll be quids in and have the car too boot

you've got a nice pocketful coming your way.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Oooh great thanks sooo much. As for the statements I have only ever received three of them and they have said that I will have to pay for copies which, initially I refused to do however I will write to them asking for copies and pay what they want by postal order. What is SAR? As for claiming the PPI can I still do that even though payments re made through the insurers when I was not able to work as the PPI was to cover payment in events of sickness/loss of job which both applied to me at the time.

I am soo grateful to you for your help but yes this is the route that I will definitely be taking.

the sar will give you EVERYTHING they hold on your for £10 - ALL the statements etc etc

as for the PPI payments

just add those up and remove them from the SOC total.

we'll deal with that when we get the SAR return

just inc i line that says:

this is to unclude copies of any/all agreements with your company.

include details of old addresses then and since too

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ringosal

If you are still getting phone calls send them a copy of the letter you can find by clicking the link below.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?493-Harassment-by-telephone-response-letter

Also - and this is important - you need to complain about them to the Office of Fair Trading. What they are doing is against debt collection guidlines - and in my view also very close to being criminal.

The OFT may not investigate your complaint as an individual - but it adds weight to the complaints against them.

however you should nott have been putting upi with all this rubbish

as for the crap that they can take the car - no dice i'm afraid welcome

and they know it!

dx

dx

I think that it has become abvious that this tactic of threatening to take the cars - knowing they can't - is a company wide business practice and must be stopped.

I would now encourage all caggers who have this issue to complain to the OFT and their local trading standards dept.

• 4 weeks later...
the sar will give you EVERYTHING they hold on your for £10 - ALL the statements etc etc

as for the PPI payments

dx

Thanks for the help you have given me. Who do I actually apply to for the SAR is it the head office of Welcome or the bank? At the time of making payments I was with Natwest but that account was closed in 2009 so I'm not too sure who I am meant to write to for the SAR. Your further help is most appreciated.

sar always go to the OC original creditor WELCOME FINANACE

dx

and they

• 1 month later...

as for the PPI payments

dx

Good evening and thanks for all the assistance you have given me to date. The latest position is that I have received a bundle of papers from Welcome's head office however they did not enclose any statements in that so I have written to them asking that they send me them.

One question that I do have is what is the SOC? After I do receive the statements what is the next step that I have to do?

Your further assistance is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks to date.

you fill out the SOC [schedule of charges]

with all the PPI payments

read the notes

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?330996-Latest-Spreadsheets-PPI-Claims-and-Charges-Claims-Dec-2011

also read a few of the other thread concerning PPI reclaims

dx

and they

you fill out the SOC [schedule of charges]

with all the PPI payments

read the notes

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?330996-Latest-Spreadsheets-PPI-Claims-and-Charges-Claims-Dec-2011

also read a few of the other thread concerning PPI reclaims

dx

Sorry if it seems I'm coming across dumb

- I clicked on the link in respect to a single premium policy but it asks for the monthly payment of PPI.

I have looked at the agreement and it gives a figure of £9,300 for the car and £3,607.. credit for the insurances marked as N.

It further states that total amount payament for the insurances is £4,632 which is the £3,607.29 (N) added to £1,024.71(W) which is the charge for credit of insurances

- all of these figures come under the heading of Key Financial Information.

There is then a section titled Other Financial Information where it states £2,217.29 PPI in one section and another section it says total cash price of insurances

G to L inclusive amunts to £3,607.29 and these are for mechanical breakdown insurance £650,

Emergency Recovery £390 and Shortfall Extra Insurance £350.

So my question is do I list all the payments for the insurances or do I just list down the payment for the PPI?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

ALL.

read the RED notes tab on the SOC.

you need to find out what % of your PCM was for ins.

to do this:

total cash price all insurancs / total cash price of loan * 100

that will give you a % figure

then apply that to you PCM

so fd the answer is 19% , then calculate what 19% of your PCM was.

use that figure in the SOC

dx

and they

ALL.

read the RED notes tab on the SOC.

you need to find out what % of your PCM was for ins.

to do this:

total cash price all insurancs / total cash price of loan * 100

that will give you a % figure

then apply that to you PCM

so fd the answer is 19% , then calculate what 19% of your PCM was.

use that figure in the SOC

dx

Really really sorry to ask but what do you mean by PCM?

I have honestly read through the notes but don't understand what you mean by PCM or FD.

I have completed the form with all the figures for the insurances which gave a monthly figure of PPI of £8239.29,

total cash price for goods of £9,340.00 and 8% simple interest of £21,255.47 and a final total of £38,834.76

- what am I to do with these figures?

Am I to add in the finance charges for goods, charge for credit for goods and total charge for credit?

Really sorry to be such a pain but I am really not experienced in this sort of figure work and very much appreciate your assistance.

per calander month.

fd is if ===typo

can you please post up your agreement.

scan the required letters/agreements/sheets

as a picture[jpg] file

or convert them to .PDF

ENSURE:remove all pers info inc barcodes etc using paint program

but leave all figures and dates.

goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites

it would be better to upload a multipage pdf

than many single ones

or if you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

or use word and save as pdf

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB:you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

then hit reply button

dx

please REMEMBER to sanitize you details or ANYTHING that can identify you.

inc car details or any barcode etc etc

leave all figure/dates though. [poss remove the day part too]

dx

and they

• 3 weeks later...

again there were a couple of account number and your name twice too.

all done

i have broken the files into 3 smaller pdf's.

on the call logs, there appears? to be a page missing

date range 25/01/2010 11-04-2012

have you got them please..

i also note in several places they phoned your works

that is AGAINST all guidelines.

AND

they actively asked you to go borrow money off family and friends. nasughty

[22/7/9..]

like the comment about HPCI charge too- not correct.

looks like they owe you more than you owe them.

always the way.

2 spreadsheets needed now and the fos complaint form too.

dx

and they

Many thanks for your help to date. I have checked and double checked for the missing page but have not been able to find it however will have to look when I get to work as that is where I scanned the docs. So apart from the outstanding page(s) what is the next step in regards to the spreadsheets and fos complaints form? Are you able to let me know which figures I should be using on the sheets please. Your continued assistance is greatly appreciated.

again there were a couple of account number and your name twice too.

all done

i have broken the files into 3 smaller pdf's.

on the call logs, there appears? to be a page missing

date range 25/01/2010 11-04-2012

have you got them please..

i also note in several places they phoned your works

that is AGAINST all guidelines.

AND

they actively asked you to go borrow money off family and friends. nasughty

[22/7/9..]

like the comment about HPCI charge too- not correct.

looks like they owe you more than you owe them.

always the way.

2 spreadsheets needed now and the fos complaint form too.

dx

I may be wrong here, but why is the OP being advised to reclaim the PPI?

OP stated in first post that he claimed on it and it paid out for him, thats why the payments were late.

Hard to say that the PPI was no good for the purpose when it was used.

Jogs

matters not if its been claimed on HAS

the cost of the ppi is charged throughut the loan, but only active for 12mts.

all you do is to make a claim and take the payments off the total.

next job ringo is puty all the penalty fees into a spreadsheet.

a quick look at any welcome reclaim thead will show you the details.

i'l look in later if i can

dx

and they

Please advise me if I am wrong but isn't PPI there to protect you if you are unable to work through sickness or loss of job.

I will be making a claim for PPI as in my opinion although I used it when I was sick

I have realised that I DID NOT have to have the insurance for mechanical breakdown,

recovery breakdown (which I could have sorted out myself)

but was told that I COULD NOT purchase the car unless I had these insurances included

- it would not seem to me that this is not the case.

In the four years that I have had the car I have only had to use the breakdown recovery three times,

all instances were for a flat battery

- but I could have joined one of the many breakdown services that re available.

Therefore in my opinion I was forced to take out these insurances.

Also as the car finance company knew that I was having payments made through their insurers for approximately 12 months

should they not have frozen my account so that it did not incur any late charges?..

.this they did not do and I was advised by the insurance company that this is the normal practice

- hence Welcome applied late charges to my account which were out of my control.

Welcome have harassed me at work with regard to the outstanding money which they say I owe for the late payment

and they have also issued a default notice against me although I owe nothing on the car

in my opinion they have made a malicious default entry on my credit file.

PPI is supposed to cover your payments in their entirety and I don't see why I should be held accountable to something that is done by their insurance company.

I am very grateful to the assistance that I have received from dx

- he/she is the only person to have offered me any help and nothing has been too much for them and they have answered every one of my queries.

I will continue to act on the advice of DX whose advice I value greatly.

I may be wrong here, but why is the OP being advised to reclaim the PPI?

OP stated in first post that he claimed on it and it paid out for him, thats why the payments were late.

Hard to say that the PPI was no good for the purpose when it was used.

Jogs

EVERYONE was forced to take all manner of USELESS insurance by the welcome reps

they got a heafty commission for selling them.

your claims will be dealt with by the FSCS who are well vested in the tricks pulled by local reps.

dx

and they

Good evening again,

could you just confirm to me that the figures I need to put down are all the ones relating to the insurances on one spreadsheet

and another for the charges on the statements I have received from Welcome?

I have tried to find a reclaim thread in respect of Welcome but haven't been able to locate one yet.

Also where do I find the FOS complaint form and do I send the spreadsheets to them or to Welcome?

Lastly are you able to point me in the direction of the spreadsheets as I cannot seem to find in my thread where they are located.

Many thanks again for your help to date.

Much appreciated...:-)

EVERYONE was forced to take all manner of USELESS insurance by the welcome reps

they got a heafty commission for selling them.

your claims will be dealt with by the FSCS who are well vested in the tricks pulled by local reps.

dx

the spreadys [sOC's] are here:

use the stat int one for the PPI

StatIntSheet v101.xls

we need to workout IF welcome charges interest on the PENALTY fees

if they did , then use the fosCI sheet and their int rate at D15.

FosCISheet v101.xls

the fos cq is here:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi.html

NOTHING goes t the FOS

the PPI claim will be

SOC + FOS CQ + covering letter [your own ]

the PENALTY claim will be

FOSCISHEET+complaint letter from the green library tab top left.

on the PPI

you'll need to work ot WHAT portion of your PCM was PPI

total cost insurances / total cost loan X 100 = %

then that % of your PCM was the insurance element.

so:

4632/11982.44*100=38.66%

so 38% of PCM [£345.280 = £133.49

so

EACH month you paid enter the date /reason [ppi] / amount [£133.49]

dx

and they