Free computers and 1 years Broadband Internet for Families on Low Income.

adamrao
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5013 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Free computers for low-income families

More than a quarter of a million families will be able to claim free computers and internet access under the Home Access programme. The programme is designed to boost the achievements of children from lower income families.

Apply via the Home Access website, or call 0333 200 1004

Home Access - Home Access

Home Access is a government drive which will help low-income families to get access to a computer and the internet to get online at home.

The Home Access programme will allow 270,000 families with children in years 3 to 9 to apply for grants to buy computers and broadband connections from approved suppliers.

If you are a low income family receiving certain benefits you could qualify for a grant to buy a computer and/or a minimum of one years’ internet access.

Depending on what you need, the grant allows eligible familes to buy one of the following packages:

1. full package (a computer, one year's internet access, service and support)

2. a computer with service and support only

3. one year's internet access only

You can also request an application form from the Home Access Grant Helpline by calling 0333 200 1004.

Check Eligibility;

Have a look at the eligibility requirements below. You may be able to qualify for a Home Access grant if you:

• Answer yes to three questions in Section one

AND

• Answer yes to at least one question in Section two

Section One:

Are you a parent or guardian responsible for and living with a child…..

…who is in school years 3 to 9?

…who attends a state-maintained school in England full time**?

…who has not already had a computer from a Home Access Grant or similar programme, such as Computers for Pupils?

Section Two:

Do you receive at least one of the following?

• Free school meals for your child***

• Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance

• Income support

• Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and an income of less than £16,040

• Guaranteed Pension Credit (not Savings Credit)

• Income-based Employment Support Allowance

• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

Contact Home Access if you believe that you are someone you know may be eligible.

PLEASE NOTE!

If you already own your own computer and already have a Broadband Internet Connection you may not be eligible.

:-|Impossible is I'M Possible:lol:

If you think the advice given is useful then show your appreciation by clicking on the scales.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to thank you I think it was you, discussing this very issue on another thread. I rang them up after reading your comment and found we qualify and the form arrived a couple of days ago. Just got to fill it in now.

My two kids have problems with their reading/dyslexic and they suggested it would be possible to get desktop with colored keys etc to help with the letters.

Daughter over the moon and said she could start to do homework online with the school, so we will keep fingers crossed.

this is a slow move from the government many other countrys have it in place already - never the less a good move in theory. hopefully it will be successful, unfortunatly it is only those i believe on low income or single parents only who qualify, no mention yet for the disabled who would greatly benefit from such actions.

p.s. who is paying for it and is the connection to the internet free?

Is this just for England looks like

brilliant idea

I have seen kids happy like never before. :D

If you think the advice given is useful then show your appreciation by clicking on the scales.

Got the form in front of me, oh I have a panic just looking at forms. But from what I gather so far its aimed defiantely at the kiddies.

'You must be the adult responsible for the child you are applying for'

It also says first come first served so got to get it done rather than sit on the form like I tend to do.:)

The form is really easy to fill out. Just take your time and go through it. If you dont understand anything then there should be Guidance Notes that came with the application and you can refer to them. It didnt take me long to fill it out.

I phoned up for an application form on the the 18th of January, got the application on the 23rd of January, sent it back the same day, received my documents (proof of my Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit) back on the 30th of January and another letter saying i had been given the grant. I am now waiting for a Card so i can buy a laptop from one of the Approved Suppliers.

I already have a pc but it is very slow and a pain in the neck at times. My daughter will be able to use the laptop when i am on the pc and there will be no more arguments in my house.

If anyone wants a list of the Approved Suppliers then send me a PM and i will give you the links.

I gave my mum the phone number to get an application form but she forgot to phone them so i did it for her. She will have me filling the form out for her as usual.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

when the application pack arrives they ask you for an up to date letter from child benefit, well at least one thats less then a year old.

We all know that child benefit didnt send out letters of entitlement in 2009 because the government changed uprating day.

so the last one that eveyone will be able to find is 2008, no good

child benefit have been illundated with requests for letters, so if you are thinking of applying get in quick and phone child benefit as soon as possible

next letter isnt due out to April 2010

Shouldnt the children sitting their GCSEs exams get it as well, up the age limit ?

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

who is paying for these laptops?

I believe it is the Government who are paying for it. Great idea. I thought i didnt qualify until i read it in my local paper.

Micky, i had no problem finding a Child Benefit letter. I didnt have my Child Benefit number handy when i applied for Child Tax Credit so i had to call them and they would only give me the number in writing. They were pretty quick sending it though. I kept the letter and used it when i had to apply for the Home Access Grant.

I'll have to get off my bum and fill it in tommorow. I am a bit of a hoarder so if tear a few cuboards apart, I'll find a child benefit etc letter;)

I when doing ou course was offered free computer and large screen to help me, I didnt fill it in and lost out, more fool me.

I'll have to get off my bum and fill it in tommorow. I am a bit of a hoarder so if tear a few cuboards apart, I'll find a child benefit etc letter;)

I when doing ou course was offered free computer and large screen to help me, I didnt fill it in and lost out, more fool me.

Honestly it wont take you long. I filled out the form quicker than i could find my Child Benefit letter. You go for it.

Yesterday I waited (rather wasted) 25 minutes on child benefit helpline 0845 302 1444 just to get a CHB ref no. but no joy. Then found a different number (geographical though) on saynoto0870 and someone was on the line right after the first ring.

MIKEY DABODEE you seem quite ignorant and flipant, you compare payments of laptops to payments of war. im sorry but i feel that is totally uncaring and out of order.

if it comes across like that to you then thats fine by me

my brother is serving out there and of course we support him and we are proud but I have my doubts to why he has to be there, but he has none

we just have the worry and the wait

its just nice to see money going on enjoyable things

Edited by MIKEY DABODEE

if it comes across like that to you then thats fine by me

my brother is serving out there and of course we support him and we are proud but I have my doubts to why he has to be there, but he has none

we just have the worry and the wait

its just nice to see money going on enjoyable things

My nephew is there as well Mickey and I feel the same. Lets hope they are home soon

I think the free laptops scheme is an excellent one, lets hope everyone who is entitled to it applies and are successful in their application.

It should be extended to Wales and Scotland as soon as possible, its only fair