• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

SweetnSexyEnglish VS Brighthouse

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4412 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please help, I have an issue with Brighthouse and my laptop, however the store NEVER give you the head office number and guess what it's not even on the website!!

Please help!!

I have a Laptop which is falling apart before my very eyes, I refuse to pay anymore money one any of the items until the laptop is sorted, have spoken with the store who asked why didn't I just pay on the other two items, so I made an offer to pay on the two items but refuse to pay a penny more on the laptop which I still owe lil over £400 on (if that) it's price is just over £800 and by the time their interest is paid it will have cost me over a thousand pounds and I refuse to have it fixed because there is no way that an item costing that much should be falling apart.

Unfortunately the store is unwilling to co operate and I need to go over their heads if I am to see action!

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Nationwide Won:D Benefits returned £577

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, after a little searching, ive found that Brighthouse are owned by Caversham Finance ltd.

Caversham Finance Ltd trading as BrightHouse

Chiltern House

Marsack Street

Caversham

READING RG4 5AP

England

Telephone: 0118 946 6000

Hope this helps

be safe

JGG

:)

I am really desperate for some advice because I think I am going to end up loosing it i.e. my temper and have had so many personal problems at the moment I really can not take anymore.

The story so far...

I brought a lap top from brighthouse March last year, the one I requested was a brand item what I actually received wasn't but I didn't find this out till I needed a part and called curry's parts master where they could'nt find anything on the model no. I gave them.

The long and short of it was that brighthouse came up with the name Infinity and contracted two companies one to make the shell the other to make the internal. the cash price is £846.36 over 104 weeks at a rate of £10.45 a week with interest making it over a £1000.

After having the laptop 15 mths the lap top has fallen to bits, the key's dont type .i.e. missing out letters, the dvd drive has fallen out the machine, the part to open the drive has fallen off, the hindges are cracked and falling apart and the lettering is coming off the keyboard not to mention the constant blue screens.

I have been to them a few times and enough is enough, as the only offer is I either added service cover so it can be fixed, I dont want it fixed as once I finish paying for it the service cover ends, they offer extended service cover but not on the lap tops?? Because the model no. is not recognised I would have the same problems once I finish paying for it with no one responsible for it.

So they say I should claim it on my home insurance but that would mean I have to lie and say it was accidental damage, but then I will loose my two year no claims, my premium will go up plus I have to pay £50 technical report and £50 to log my claim.

I decided not to pay them to force them to do something, but they dont accept part payment so I cant pay on the two good items without paying on the item falling apart. I have been to CAB and was advised the item costing £1000 should give me 10yrs service not 15mths and that the item is not fit for purpose, I have been to trading standards and was advised to start the letter process but because I refuse to pay for the lap top and they wont accept my money on the items that are ok that they can make me look like a debter by making my account be defaulted.

Saturday I received a call from the store the person was from another store I explained everything and they decided to go straight to the area manager over the shop manager's head. ((considering I called customer care three times last week and never received a call from the area manager as promised until my last complaint where I stated the area manager couldn't even lower himself to talk to me)) Now they offering me a like for like exchange and transfer what I have paid already but only on a refurbished item if its a brand new I loose everything I have paid already as I have to start from scratch??

I have worked out based on there info, they say I have 33 weeks left on my contract. Original terms are 104 so that means I have paid 71 weeks which total £741.95...yet they say i've paid £661.95...

The deal is I have to take service cover in order to get the exchange on a like for like refurbished ((second hand)) item. What they are offering me... the cash price is £526.87 brand new with interest £674.96... if they transfer what I've paid already it wipes out the cash price hence they would owe me money, but as it's a second hand item they really should not be charging me the brand new cost... now because they want me to take service cover and I have been told they can not put service cover on an item that is to be paid off how can they expect to still charge me on this exchange?? But as far as they are concerned they cant see the problem that I have paid more than the cost of the brand new item yet they selling me a second hand and still trying to make money...What do I do?

I called trading standards but what they say I should request seem long winded which is a partial refund...which although sounds right brighthouse wont do the right thing, or they say I should recind the contract (dont ask) can someone offer any advice??

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

After going into the store with my receipts which did show I'd paid way more than I had perviously been told, I brought up the conversation I had with Trading Standards, however the deputy manager is useless she has no power to deal with anything off her own judgment. She then called or claimed to call the area manager who basically gave me two choices, one to put it in writing to him or go down the route of trading standards which more seems like a slap in the face to say they refuse to do anything for me.

I have emailed out a copy of the letter but am going to post three more recorded delivery to both the shop, head office and the address he supplied me with. He didn't even have the decency to give me a number to contact him but the customer service number instead.

This whole situation has given me a headache...:evil:

you are doing the right thing - let us know what their response is

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

The letters are all posted via recorded delivery, while the responce received today from the email sent to customer services reads:

Thank you for your email received in our office this morning

We are sorry to learn that you have been dissatisfied with the service we have provided and can confirm that we will be conducting a thorough investigation into your concerns. Once we have completed this, we will write to you again.

In the meantime, if you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0800 526 069.

Nothing to write home about really, I had been advised to take the contracts to Trading Standards because of the discrepencies and hopefully they will get on the ball with that, have also been advised to find out what their complaints procedure are, as I have never received a copy, have requested that and have been told should they not send anything through that should be passed to trading standards also.

Also came across some information links as follows:

U.K. Retailers / Loan Sharks BrightHouse Have No Stock | The News is NowPublic.com

Forums - Brighthouse.co.uk - PC Advisor

I have received feed back in regards to the quality of the Infinity Machines and my next step would be to get a technical report to back what I have been advised and what I can already see for myself.

My request for the company complaints procedures was replied to which reads:

We follow the Complaints Procedure as recommended by the Financial Ombudsman Service.

I take it this means I am expected to go look it up for myself as they didn't outline anything? Also after reading some information on Consumer Direct, I requested I have in writing from them information on what the status on my payments for the item in dispute, as the verbal agreement meant I wasn't to pay anything on this contract and until the exchange, but as they have gone back on there word I am wondering if they will try to have me for breach of contract as they could in fact lie as it was a verbal agreement, the only notes was what he claimed he put on file but I never saw any and as they wouldn't provide me with any therefore I have no proof.

And can anyone advise where i can find information relating to goods not fit for purpose so I can find out what I need to do.

update...

No reply to the email requesting the status of my payments in regards to the laptop, though I know they have read it as I received a read reply. And no letter to say they have received my formal complaint however I contacted the Financial Ombudsman Service, who work speedily and have wrote to me and I think as I have received mine, they should also have received their backing my request for action on this matter.

But Trading Standards just say I have to wait in accordance with the time scale on the letters. But they have no idea what this will cost me if Brighthouse go back on their word as they have already done, Plus there is a conflict of time scale, as the FOS say they have 8 weeks to deal with a complaint, while trading standards only advised me to give them 14 days to respond to my one letter and 7 days to the other, if they are within there rights to take up to 8 weeks plus I already owe 5 weeks at £10.45 a week it will be £135.85 and rising and if they then try to say I have defaulted while making this matter drag out then I could look at owing and loosing out. Trading Standards say Brighthouse couldn't be so in considerate But under the verbal agreement I wasn't supposed to pay till the matter was sorted but now I realise Brighthouse is not to be trusted it leaves me feeling nervous.

Hi, sorry, I have not had time to read the whole thread - will do later.

Is the agreement a credit agreement regulated under the CCA?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

If the item is not fit for purpose then they ahve a duty to replcae it or refund you.

I think it's all in the Supply of Goods Act. Try reading the section which is about something being fit for purpose.

It means that wahtever they make/sell you should be made to "cope" with doing what it is designed to do. Your laptop fell apart and was made from 2 differnent parts (from what I can gather) hardly fit for purpose, is it?

Also, it's description has to relate to what it is - if they sold u it in the description of one thing, but the u find out it's made from 2 - i can't see that being legal, can you?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

Its a Hire Purchase agreement, I am vague on what my rights are I have been reading everything online I can find, but am aware as I do not own the item as yet I am not responsible for the item.

So far they have still not replied to the status of my item, and I went in on Thursday to pay on the one remaining item that is not in dispute and was told I owed them £70 plus which my table and chairs are £6.39 and not in arrears...there are supposed to be notes on my account, but whether there are and the assisant just didn't read them is anyones guess though the deputy manager's slightly cold attitude tells me they got my four page complaints letter outlining the serious problems I have had.

If I can get my money back all the better I could buy a laptop and still have change with the money they have got but as yet I am still waiting. the 7 days given the Finance Company ((though I dont see the difference as the finance company and the shop are one and the same))is almost up so I will give them till tuesday before calling TS again and say I have had no reply to the 4 letters I sent out, even though the area manager requested I put it in writing to him, and I've had no acknowledgment either.

I just hope any unsuspecting potential customer reads my posts before thinking of going to brighthouse!!

I have issued a reminder letter now to Brighthouse, as the original letter was emailed the 21th although my postal letters went out 23rd it is past the 7 day's deadline for Caversham Finance to respond if going by the email date, but can someone tell me what lenght of time they really have due to the conflict of time allowance given by the Financial Ombudsman and Trading Standards?

This is an easy one...

You have a hire purchase agreement with Brighthouse - and I understand you either removed or did not take the "optional service cover"? If so, very sensible!

Brighthouse should provide you with a fully working product for the duration of your HIRE purchase agreement. Period.

No ifs, no buts, no optional service cover... doesn't matter. Their contract is little more than a re-worked "simple hire" contract - a throw back to when the same parent company was a TV rental company.

Now then, here's the good bit...

My advice is this (and please appreciate, this is ONLY advice, and whether you take it or not is entirely up to you - plus you do this AT YOUR OWN RISK!)... Simply stop paying for the item. This will invoke Brighthouse's usual response of harrassment and calling to your home to re-posses the laptop...

As you have paid more than one third of the agreement total, Brighthouse CANNOT reposses without a court order... (however, experience tells me that they will... because they assume you are stupid and that YOU don't know the Law... And the Law says: If the laptop is repossed after you have paid more than one third - and without a court order - and against your wishes - then YOU are entitled to ALL the money you have paid on the agreement.

The ball is your court.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Hi lefty, I haven't been paying for it since it has been disputed and as yet they have not contacted me further either to ask for money or to acknowledge my letters.

So I dont know if this would be an option they will try and I am more concerned about the £661 I have already paid for the substandard laptop.

Hi lefty, I haven't been paying for it since it has been disputed and as yet they have not contacted me further either to ask for money or to acknowledge my letters.

So I dont know if this would be an option they will try and I am more concerned about the £661 I have already paid for the substandard laptop.

Would this HP agreement be covered under the Consumer Credit Act? If so, send in a sec 77 request and if they can't procude the agreement then they can't enforce it. ie, you don't have to paya nymore.

Plus, you may get back everything you've paid against it.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

I dont know if I am just being dumb but whats is a sec77 request?

I dont know if I am just being dumb but whats is a sec77 request?

Hehe, thought you'd ask.

If you download a copy of the CCA from the statutes library, you will see that it is a very powerful tool for consumers.

If you send a request under that section and a chque for a pound, they have to send you a copy of the original credit agreement. If they can't then the Debt does not exist and you [may] be able to claim back everythin you've paid under it! :)

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Thank you un1boy!

Well I have some new news of my own....I got a call today from the store and they are offering me a HP Pavilion DV6122EA, I have looked on the HP site and I see this item is discontinued, so I am trying to get a pricing for it, the store has said it's been out 6mths so it's a new laptop my question is if it's so new why is it discontinued? Has anybody on here got that particular Laptop and can give me some feed back on it? Would be much appreciated. Also they have said it's second hand it's just been returned, so erm if its so good why has it been returned...thats another question to be asking!

lol

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Thank you un1boy!

Well I have some new news of my own....I got a call today from the store and they are offering me a HP Pavilion DV6122EA, I have looked on the HP site and I see this item is discontinued, so I am trying to get a pricing for it, the store has said it's been out 6mths so it's a new laptop my question is if it's so new why is it discontinued? Has anybody on here got that particular Laptop and can give me some feed back on it? Would be much appreciated. Also they have said it's second hand it's just been returned, so erm if its so good why has it been returned...thats another question to be asking!

The laptop they're offering you hasn't been returned, it's been repossessed most likely. You'll find a similar model on the web for around £399.

If you accept their replacement, you'll find yourself in a delicate position because they'll make you sign a brand new agreement for the "new" product. This means all the rights you had previously (regarding having paid more than one third of the purchase price etc) will go out of the window. Also, as it's a "quality refurbished" product, you can expect a 90 day guarantee at best!

Take it if you want to, but only on the condition that your EXISTING agreement remains in force.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

Hi Lefty, can you send me the link to that as I've searched the site and can't find it, I am going to call HP directly and see what the going rate is for the laptop that is discontinued. When I called the store back the employee wasn't aware it was discontinued...yea right nuff said. But advised me they could still get hold of these items, though i have not found it on pcworld or curry's.

What you said about the contract I am aware of and after reading a few of the problems others have outlined I can see why. Also the deal originally offered also stated that I had to take there service cover, is there anyway I can get what I am owed, whether it be my money back or an exchange without having to accept the service cover?

Furthermore do I have to accept a second hand item anyway?

You may have misunderstood me, I said you'll find a SIMILAR model on the web from around £399. None of the main electrical retailers stock HP Pavillion laptops anymore - as you have said, they're mostly discontinued.

Brighthouse currently advertise the "ACER" brand.

We all know, though, that a basic spec, half decent laptop can be obtained these days for just a few hundred quid.

Tell me more about service cover? Have Brighthouse said that in order to replace your CURRENT model with a discontinued secondhand HP model you need to add service cover to a new agreement? If so, I'd speak again to trading standards.

You could, of course, just accept their offer, take the "new" laptop, sign up for service cover then simply cancel it the next day.

Again, the ball is in your court, but DON'T take any flannel from Brighthouse.

Lefty

;)

Just had a little conversation with Consumer Direct, If I can find evidence of the actual value of the laptop they are offering I can try and negotiate with them or refuse as by rights they have to find something of a similar value and the fact the item is discontinued and HP can not price a discontinued item, then I dont have to accept it :) So I am now on a major search for the item with pricing so I can take it to the store, see if we can strike up a deal. Also as my original contract didn't have service cover they cant force me to take it with this exchange, and they also need stick with my original contract so thanks Lefty, I will be fighting the new contract terms to the fullest!!