• Tweets

• If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step. It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.        
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
    • UK travellers are being caught out by post-Brexit passport rules.   When do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule? WWW.BBC.COM UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.                                   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

My HSBC Loan/Creditcard PPI problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone. Another forum newbie here – Please point me in the correct direction if I am in the wrong place. :)

I believe I have been mis-sold SPP PPI on my HSBC personal loan and I’m also now aware that I am being charged CCPR on my HSBC Mastercard.

I was only alerted to this yesterday when speaking to a company called Chase Saunders about a debt management plan. They are quoting me an initial £50 to look at my claim but after doing a bit of research and finding this forum I am reluctant to hand over my money when I could possibly do it myself (with a little friendly help)

I have read many threads on this forum over the last 48 hours and am very grateful for all of the information I have got so far and I would like to apologise for the length of the post and thank you all in advance for any further help you can offer me.

This is my story:

Firstly, I originally opened an account with HSBC in 2003 and took out a loan in order to close an account that I had defaulted on with Barclays.

The Barclays default was actually caused by them adding ridiculous charges to a small overdraft (and my naivety and ignorance). I have pretty much wrote this one off, as it was so long ago and I don’t have any documentation relating to it, much less much of a memory of it.

The loan I took out in November 03 with HSBC was for £3500 at an APR of 14.9% (charge for credit of £1088.36) totalling £4588.36. On top of this I was given a loan for PPI £700.0 plus £217.67 interest, totalling £917.67.

I don’t remember asking for this PPI, I certainly was not offered any alternatives to it and was not offered the loan without taking PPI. I do however have a copy of a form I have signed titled ‘Insurance sales acknowledgment slip’ which says that I have received a copy of the brochure, had the essential features explained and that I understood them.

As I mentioned before, I was young naive and really wasn’t sure of what I was signing up to.

Now onto my most recent loan. –

Two years later (almost to the day) I ran into more financial difficulties and went into HSBC to re-negotiate the loan and reconsolidate.

This time the details (60 months) were:

Amount of loan: £7,500,00 PPI: £1,770,00 Total Loan: £9,270,00

11.9% interest rate

Loan interest: £2,350,88 PPI interest: £554,80 Total interest: £2,905,68

I have various policy documents explaining the PPI and also one supporting the fact that they explained some of it to me.

What they didn’t explain to me was that I could take out PPI somewhere else and they certainly did not ask if I had any pre-existing medical conditions

that may prevent me from claiming (I had been diagnosed with depression a few years ago). I was also under the impression that if I didn’t take the PPI I would not be offered the loan.

Now, I am very concerned that the fact I have signed these documents will mean I’m unable to do anything about it?

The loan currently has £3043,95 left on it which is 15 months.

I also have a HSBC mastercard with a £3000,00 limit of which £2979,28 is outstanding (APR of 21.9%). I am being charged 79p per £100 on the balance for ‘insurance premium’.

I was originally given the card with a £1000 limit on it and they increased it without informing me up to the £3000 and I certainly do not ever remember asking to take out or signing anything to take out insurance for this.

The reason all of this has come about is, I went to HSBC yesterday to try and consolidate the credit card and loan (and my £400 overdraft) but was refused a new loan.

My questions to you are:

Do I have a case for reclaiming the PPI on the first and/or second loan?

Do the fact I have signed documents detailing that they have explained some aspects of the PPI to me have any effect?

Is there something I can do to reclaim the CPPR on the credit card?

From what I have read the first step is to ask for a SAR from HSBC. Is this right and is it worth it given that I have a lot of the agreements here in front of me?

Help, I’m confused, what can I do next? :confused:

Feel free to ask if there is something I’ve not explained properly or is unclear.

Many Thanks.

Do I have a case for reclaiming the PPI on the first and/or second loan?

It is certainly worth giving it a go as you have mis-selling reasons.

Do the fact I have signed documents detailing that they have explained some aspects of the PPI to me have any effect?

Explaining just some of the aspects is not good enough they have to make sure you are perfectly happy with what they are selling to you that includes making you aware of any exclusions.

Is there something I can do to reclaim the CPPR on the credit card?

Yes indeed first step is to arm yourself with all the data including all statements so you know exactly what you have paid.

Do you have all these if not shout and ill explain how you get them all.

From what I have read the first step is to ask for a Subject Access Request from HSBC. Is this right and is it worth it given that I have a lot of the agreements here in front of me?

IMHO yes it is information is power and if they dont play ball you will need all the data they hold on you.

Help, I’m confused, what can I do next?

First step read all the info in the stickys at the top of this forum

lots of good advice there courtesy of alanalana.

You will also find there the S.A.R template just edit that to suit your needs

Finally Good Luck and if you need anymore help and advice just shout.

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Thanks for the reply and advice pompey, much appreciated.

I have started the ball rolling this morning and i've edited, printed out and sent an SAR to the HSBC service quality team at their Leeds address via recorded delivery, with a £10 postal order.

I tried to view all of my credit card statements online but they are only showing access to the last six months worth. I guess i'll have to wait for the returns from the SAR to check them further.

I had been thinking about starting a DMP to try and resolve my immediate short-fall but i'm now going to hold off and sit tight until i have a better idea of any potential claims i could have for mis-sold PPI as at first glance it appears to be anywhere between 50 & 75% of my current outstanding amounts.

One more question, to save myself £40 this next month - can i ring them and try and cancel the ccpr on my credit card immediately and then still make a claim for mis-selling once i have all of the relevant information?

Thanks once again.

yes u can indeed cancel but i must say to u do remember once you do this you will not have any cover in place and yes doing this will not effect any claim u make

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Yes i do realise i won't have any cover. I'm looking into seperate loan/credit card unemployment cover. I'm pretty damn sure it'll be cheaper than the rubbish i'm currently being served up.

Thanks.

yes it will be a lot cheaper u wont have all that interest 4 a start also have a look at income protection insurance this instead of covering your commitmants insures your income beauty of this u only need the one policy instead of many most insurance co do this PF

Oh dear...

I've just had a letter from them...

Further to your recent request, we have pleasure in enclosing the list of standing orders and/or direct debits held on your account.

blahh blahh blahh..

I asked for everything and they have the cheek to send me this? Too right they have pleasure in accepting my £10 to provide me with this.... robbing sods..

I've had a look but can't see anything specific, is there a template i can use to go back to them again?

You need to send the non-compliance letter because what they have sent you does not full fill that request.

Ill get the template and post the link below.

Just edit this to suit your needs and remember if they recieved your request say 5 days ago then they only have a further 35 days to comply.

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Section 7 – Data Protection Act 1998

Dear Sir/Madam

Account: xxxxxxxx

I am in receipt of the documents that you have supplied in response to my Data Protection Act information request dated (Insert Date). The disclosure of personal data is incomplete in that at least the following documents are missing.

(Adapt this next section to your situation)

1) You have failed to provide a complete list of transactions and charges.(Add details of missing period - or a transaction that you know about which is not included)

2) You have provided no notes, or documents relating to any legal action between you and myself.

3) You have provided no notes, or documents relating to instances of manual intervention.

This is not an exhaustive list by any means, it is just an example of some of the information I am missing.

Accordingly, I have to tell you that you have not yet complied with your obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998.

You have a further (Insert number of days remaining) days to comply.

Yours faithfully,

[name]

PF

Edited by pompeyfaith

Your Welcome

PF

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

Well i finally received a parcel from HSBC. It left their offices bang on 40 days after my request but DHL were a pain the rear in delivering the parcel (another story).

The parcel contains a lot of garbage, all of my credit card statements, some system information and the odd email or two but absolutely no details of my loans and their insurance policies what so ever.

I'm really annoyed at their obvious delaying tactics, however i realise i must persist in finding everything they hold on me. Despite this i am keen to get the ball rolling as i believe i have the figures i am looking for here.

I have prepared two more letters to them, do you mind checking them before i send them?

Please point out anything i may have missed or suggest anything you think should added/removed, etc.

Letter 1 - To the named individual dealing with my data request @ Southend-on-sea address

Thank you for the data that you sent to me on Thursday 1st October 2009 with regards to my provision of personal data under Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998.

Unfortunately the parcel does not contain any information relating to the two loan agreements (Current loan account 1234567890 & previous loan account 1234567890) and their respective Personal Protection Insurance policies and relevant documents.

Please can you provide all of the information you hold on these two accounts and their insurance policies.

Letter 2 - To Complaints Manager, Service Quality Team - Leeds address

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Single Premium Policy Payment Protection Insurance for Current loan account 1234567890 & previous loan account 1234567890

I purchased payment protection insurance policies from you on 20th October 2005 and 29th November 2003 respectively in connection with the loan accounts referenced above.

I believe that I was mis-sold both of these policies for the reasons given below, and wish you to investigate my complaint according to your normal complaint procedures.

… I was led to believe that if I did not take out the insurance policies I was less likely to have the loans approved.

… It was not made aware to me that I could purchase insurnance for these policies from somewhere else and I was not given any details of any comparitive insurance.

… I felt pressurised by the seller to take out the insurance on both occasions.

If my complaint is upheld I require a refund of all premiums paid to the policies, plus any additional interest charged to me because of the PPI. I would also like to claim statutory compensation in view of the fact that I have been deprived of the use of this money.

Please now investigate my complaint within the eight weeks allowed to you.

Look forward to your response and thanks in anticipation.

Hello again,

Well i finally received a parcel from HSBC. It left their offices bang on 40 days (they intend to drag out any claim I have a printout on some data received stating wait 40 days so they are keeping strictly to the timescales within legal statute so consumers should do the same)after my request but DHL were a pain the rear in delivering the parcel (another story).

The parcel contains a lot of garbage, all of my credit card statements, some system information and the odd email or two but absolutely no details of my loans and their insurance policies what so ever. (So you now hit them back with a non compliance Link below to provide data under the Data Protection Act 1998 please see the link below)

I'm really annoyed at their obvious delaying tactics, however i realise i must persist in finding everything they hold on me. Despite this i am keen to get the ball rolling as i believe i have the figures i am looking for here.

I have prepared two more letters to them, do you mind checking them before i send them?

Please point out anything i may have missed or suggest anything you think should added/removed, etc.

Letter 1 - To the named individual dealing with my data request @ Southend-on-sea address

Thank you for the data that you sent to me on Thursday 1st October 2009 with regards to my provision of personal data under Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998.

Unfortunately the parcel does not contain any information relating to the two loan agreements (Current loan account 1234567890 & previous loan account 1234567890) and their respective Personal Protection Insurance policies and relevant documents.

Please can (I now insist) you provide all of the information you hold on these two accounts and their insurance policies (as requested in my SAR for which you have received the statutory fee)

Letter 2 - To Complaints Manager, Service Quality Team - Leeds address

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Single Premium Policy Payment Protection Insurance for Current loan account 1234567890 & previous loan account 1234567890

I purchased payment protection insurance policies (were added to my loans obtained from you on 20th October 2005 and 29th November 2003 respectively in connection with the loan accounts referenced above.

I believe now maintain that I was mis-sold both of these policies for the reasons given below, and wish you to investigate my complaint according to your normal complaint procedures.

… I was led to believe (informed) that if I did not take out the insurance policies I was less likely to have the loans approved.

… It was not made aware to me (informed) that I could purchase insurnance for these policies from somewhere else (an alternative PPI provider) and I was not given any details of any comparitive insurance.

… I felt pressurised by the seller to take out the insurance on both occasions.

If (When) my complaint is upheld I (will) require a refund of all premiums paid to the policies, plus any additional interest charged to me because of the PPI. I would also like to claim (will also require statutory compensation (at the rate of 8%)in view of the fact that I have been deprived of the use of this money.

Please now investigate my complaint within the eight weeks allowed to you.

I Look forward to your response and thanks in anticipation (and I will request a reply to this letter within 10 days from the date of this letter).

Data Protection Act - Non-Compliance - Template Letters

Results within Legislation - Statute Law Database

Complaints - Information Commissioners Office

A lot of work I have put in red what I believe you should consider changing and in blue what to put in its place it IMO gives more of a fighting attitude in light of their fob off to you.

Your choice mull it over and decide in your own time. ;)

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Hello Alan,

Thanks ever so much for your response, it was exactly what i was looking for. I have gone with your revisions and put the two letters in the post.

I knew i really should be adopting a more forceful approach with them but, i'm not the best when it comes to getting the words onto paper.

Your help is all much appreciated, will keep you informed.

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

I have just received an offer from HSBC that, coming close to christmas, i am pretty happy to accept.

They have offered (without any admission of liability, of course) to repay the outstanding balance of £1,750.20 and refund me £1,492.60.

Thanks for all of your help, i glad i came here and took your advice.

Merry Xmas to all.

Edited by dabplym

Hello again,

I have just received an offer from HSBC that, coming close to christmas, i am pretty happy to accept.

They have offered (without any admission of liability, of course) to repay the outstanding balance of £1,750.20 and refund me £1,492.60.

Thanks for all of your help, i glad i came here and took your advice.

Merry Xmas to all.

If you are happy then that is great :D

When you get the money in the bank or the cheque arrives let me know and I will change the thread title to add a won and also please post in the successes in the stickies at the top of the forum as this keeps the motivation going for long drawn out claims.

Well Done

aa;)

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.