• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cancelling home learning course - Home Learning College

jollybean21
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm in a lot of trouble. A month ago I enrolled in a course Home Learning College for web design. Recieved all the stuff and was not told a correct date for the deposit. However retained enough money in my account to cover this fifty pound fee and the bank would have written to inform me if a direct debit has bounced

However they have written to say I'm in fifty pound arrears when no payment ever went out and more than enough to cover it. Its too late to cancel the contract according to it

However for reasons concerning my life I have had to leave my flat and have now had to relocate. This confusion regarding deposit and lack of money means I need to cancel the contract because I simply will not put some stupid course before my own safety and survival

I phoned until the damn phones went dead and then sent them an email telling them to get their fact straight. Went to cancel direct debit but shut at stupid o clock in the day. We have no rights any more

Is there any way to do this? Goods sent to me are unused and still in wrapping. The relication has come up after the course was set up and I simply cannot afford to pay for this course anyway, so I do not understand what they are snotting on about. I'd be able to pay the fifty pound deposit prior to cancellation but thats all I can afford. Is there a way to do this, barring taking them to court, which I certainly do not need either. Any help gratefully recieved. Thank you

Edited by jollybean21

I need some help

Today I rang the college and unfortunately lost my head a bit. I was told that only execptional circumstance can permit you to cancel this course.

Due to threats to my life I was unable to go back to my residence and cancel, and my best bet is to write to them and try to cancel it in a nicer way. Try not to lose your head as it will never help

I also went to the bank, just to double check. It was too late to send payment because I'd hasd to move out and it was too late by the time mail was forwarded to me. Nothing bounced, and the deposit money didn't even come out, so I'm confused as to why they imply I was in arrears

I had to cancel the direct debit otherwise - due to money being taken out that I needed for food - the rent payment would have bounced. I will let them know to assure them I'm not being deliberately uncouth but I'm stressed fro worrying about bailiffs

No reply to email to college

Hi, did you hear anything about this ?

Im trying to cancel my course too - theyre sending letters and phone calls saying i owe them money etc, but im now without a job, and theyre materials are useless. I really need to know how to go about cancelling this

Hi, did you hear anything about this ?

Im trying to cancel my course too - theyre sending letters and phone calls saying i owe them money etc, but im now without a job, and theyre materials are useless. I really need to know how to go about cancelling this

I am sorry youve been going through this aggravation

Okay. I was advised to send them a polite note asking them to cancel the course because I lost my full time job. I haven't been at my flat to pick up mail yet because it's dangerous. I will be able to find any mail tomorrow. I took advice on this forum and got the letter sent by recorded delivery as proof

I cancelled my direct debit because i got my bank statement and it would be revealed my rent payment would have bounced. I also sent them a letter saying that NOTHING bounced, and that the bank manager told me when I went in on Tuesday that direct debits to the college hadn't even started yet - they don't take my money, then tell ME I'm in arrears [EDIT] So I'd cancel your direct debit. It might be advisable to seek legal advice if they dont drop it

[EDIT]

Anyway, on with the story. . . .

However in regards to the rather irate email I sent I got a load of malarkey about how they wont accept cancellations. I sent them a rather ****y email (just now) saying unfortunately they had no choice, I had no way to pay for thw course so they'd lose out either way, and that I was unable to get to the slip of paper to cancel within five days, which is the only way you can get it cancelled, being unable to get it to it. So like I've already told them only about 200 times, I said I was unable to get to the slip of paper which is true. So tell 'em you didn't get a hold of a cancellation slip, or you lost it, and see if that helps. I will let you know on my circumstances

I was told they could claw it back off me, but if it went to court you will be able to pay off what you can afford ie one pound a week or something.

I dont know what they are ****ing and moaning about anyway, why do they care whether you do the dan course? These people are pigs and they are only after your money. I will not back down to them and I can't pay them what I haven't got. I'm not willing to pay for a course with money needed to buy a safe home for myself

My advice to you? Explain the cirsumctances if you haven't already. Tell them you weren't able to get a hodl of that slip of paper which enabled you to cancel. If they don't listen, don't take their calls. Go to a Citizen's Advice Bureau or if neccessary take legal action. If you havent got a job you should be entitled to legal aid. I dont know what I will do yet but I'm not putting my life on the line for this dumb course, and I dont care what they say or do

Everyone else: we could use some help in here, if thats okay

Edited by alanfromderby
Please keep posts factual.

Update - I recieved nothing on my letter, although I got a letter saying that my email address on the records was wrong, and my student ID which was sent off before the crises happened

I realised I wasnt just upset for the possible legal worries, but because I can't do the course in itself and further my career. It is sad but unfortunately that is the only choice I have for now. Its been alesson to pick my business dealings very carefully, I've just learnt now not to trust just anybody. A bit of a bummiere but enevitable

sorry i didnt reply sooner,

i really hope it doesnt go to court in a few months - i wonder if theyd actually go through with it ?

Bfore they got renamed "home learning college" they were the learning library, and 2 of the directors got arrested or fraud or something :\

Hiya, they can take me to court if they want.....I won't show up lol

Heh I havent heard anything. I got a stiudent ID nad password for the community after I sent my kind letter of cancellation, then my slightly fiesty email. Maybe theyve dropped it. I dont know I'd be able to deal with it if they did, but surely Id have heard something by now, bout court? I have other problems now and this pales in comparison, I hope you are having luck. Eitehr way dont let them shove you about - its not your fault you cant afford to pay the damn thing

I wrote in your thread darl, this is what I said, and this advice may be able to help with your situation. Please let me know how you get on, and I will do the same

Hiya, I ripped up my contract and threw it away. But if this Empress thing is now the Home Learning College then it says in that letter you pasted that it CANNOT go to court then this sounds like a scare tactic. Pay up or you'll be punished, because alot of people quail at the idea of being taken to court and this is good way to get money off them, especially if they have rubbish software. I didnt install mine because due to circumstances had to leave my flat

My guess? They're trying to scare you into paying up by pulling the 'you can't cancel' card. Like they're trying to scare me. I will not pay up with money I dont have simply because I refuse to be pushed around. I am surprised they have been allowed to get away with it this long. If they dont have that sort of license then they can't take you to court.

Ignore the calls and use my advice in my thread - tell them you lost the cancellation slip and was unable to cancel. Then ignore the calls. I'm glad you cancelled the direct debit as well, that's what I did. I had no choice

I will be here most days if you need any help

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is slightly old now but I am having the same problem. When I signed up to Home Learning College I told them I was on Job Seekers Allowance, and payments would be tight. I wanted to do the course in the hope of getting better jobs. I signed up to the 2 Sage software as accounts interested me (started in March). I really thought it would help but it hasnt at all.

Its got to the stage where I really do not have the money but they are saying I cannot cancel as its been 2 weeks. I simply cant afford to pay them at the moment and Ive been told to make an appointment with the Citizens Advice Bureau. This is a joke... I was thinking of writing them a letter but it seems none of you guys had any luck with that.

Any updates on what happened?

• 6 months later...

I can sympathise well with all this although I got away lightly, I had been on a rather laid back course at my local College doing a City and Guilds in computer maintanence, I was naive in them days in 2003. One of the reasons I actually liked the course was the people on it and not the actual subject matter, pathetic I know. I had also been advised by my rather ill infomed careers advisor at York College to do that course after I had left a IT course in software.

During doing that course at the college, I stupidly decided to send away a form (that I had recieved in the post with the other junk mail) to the Learning Library (which is now Home Learning College) thinking that I would just get some information back on the computer maintanence side.

Instead of this I had a salesman ring me and he came round (he bore a striking resemblance to Conservative politican Stephen Norris) and talked me into signing up for the course. He also gave me some books and a toolkit (how handy) and he rang someone at his office or something to say that there was a special offer. I agreed to it all. I also kidded myself up that this course would be good and even took the books to college for the other people on the course (I was doing at the time) to see and the tutor. The tutor had never heard of The Learning Library and thats when I became suspicious of it.

I kept kidding myself and others that I was really interested in it, but I remember waking up seeing the bag with the books and toolkit in and thinking, none of this feels right, there seemed to be no customer service, so I cancelled doing the course and got the money back.

Computer maintanence just isnt for me but the Learning Library which is now Home Learning College are not to be trusted, they should not pressurise people into signing up for things, they should send information packs in the post. Its 2010 now yet there are still these distance learning 'colleges'[EDIT]and its not fair.

Edited by alanfromderby

• 7 months later...

I know this thread is OLD now but did anybody have any luck? unfortunatly i am also a victim of the 'home learning college' i decided to do the course as i was in a dead end job and thought it would help me to get a better career so i took up level 2 bookkeeping, i started regretting it as soon as i got my course material, i found the course was impossible and contacting my tutor for help was useless as it took her nearly 3 weeks to reply! my only reason for wanting to cancel this course is because i simply feel it is way out of my depth and ALOT of money, i only have a part time job so i dont have a large income and these payments can be a problem. any suggestions would help greatly!

thanks

• 3 months later...

The trouble with distance learning courses is that it often takes a while for you to decide if you are able to complete the course. I took one with Computeach (cost me in the region of £5000) a few years ago and got the materials after the cancellation period had ended. They initially sent me the wrong course materials but I got the right ones in the end.

Having started the course I found the materials were full of errors but it was too late to do anything about it, so I persevered. Luckily everything clicked and I got my new career in IT, but for many it ends in disappointment.

My advice is to look on the web for a beginners' course in your chosen subject. Often these will be free and after taking these courses you will be able to decide if it is something you want to pursue. If you do, then you can take a full course with a reputable provider. If you don't want to pursue it, you won't have lost thousands of pounds in some cases.

I wrote a training manual a couple of years ago for those looking for a career in software development. It teaches the basics of the Microsoft C# programming language and is free to anyone who wants it. Just go to http://www.jambalian.co.uk/JAM/Books.aspx, scroll down to the C# manual and click the image.

• 4 weeks later...

I started a course with them in novemnber. I recenetly emailed saying i was finding the course very difficult and could I swap? I swapped to another 1 which then after I found out you needed to have a work placement to do the course so I emailed again saying this was not possible. Ive emailed twice this week and had no reply. I really want to just cancel my payments and be done with it but dont think I have a leg to stand on? Can any1 give me any advice or see any way out for me?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue but with annother company called careerjobsuk i applied for training with them through my job centre website and got a phone call several days later asking if i was still interested in the course i said yes and he arranged a telephone interview for the next morning everything seemed fine and they advertised that all the learning and trading was funded by them until towards the end of being accepted onto the course i was told that it was at a cost of £79.00 a month and he asked me for my bank details i decided to give the course a try because i wanted to better myself because i am stuck in a dead end job i did inform them of my issues with a broken pc which may give me difficulties to complete the coursework on time

the agreement on the phone was 12hours a week studying or more and constant contact with my training advisors since signing up before christmas i have not logged onto the system and did not recieve a welcome pack from them and have had no constant contact

i sent an email to themselves only a week after enrolling of my wish to resign i got no reply and each month they carry on taking money out of my bank account

i am in the process of cancelling my direct debit with them and also sending them a formal letter of complaint i wish to seek legal advice and i am also planning to put in a freedom of information request and a letter to the consumer standards organisation

has there anyone else who has had this problem

if i ever want an education i am going back to college never again will i choose a home learning program

I started a course with them in novemnber. I recenetly emailed saying i was finding the course very difficult and could I swap? I swapped to another 1 which then after I found out you needed to have a work placement to do the course so I emailed again saying this was not possible. Ive emailed twice this week and had no reply. I really want to just cancel my payments and be done with it but dont think I have a leg to stand on? Can any1 give me any advice or see any way out for me?

hello i am currently in the same plight but am now in the process of cancelling my direct debit and seeking legal advice these people shouldent be allowed to get away with what they do

• 1 month later...
hello i am currently in the same plight but am now in the process of cancelling my direct debit and seeking legal advice these people shouldent be allowed to get away with what they do

Hello i recently this month cancelled my placement with them best thing to do is to write them a very sincere and professional letter i know this sounds unpractical after the way they have messed you about but do it anyways and you will have more chance of them taking notice of you.

several days later i got a letter of appology from themselves and a full refund of my money.

step 1

print of a copy of the email you sent them and also a screenshot of the email in your sent folder of your email provider also keep several copies for yourself also keep a few copies of your letter.

step 2

At the post office inclue your letter plus any external evidence you have of your efforts to contact themselves and neatly place them in a brown packet preferably with a bubble wrap inside write the company adress on the envelope as best you can and attach a first class stamp

and last but not least make sure you send the letter via recorded delivery and keep the reciept

if anyone needs help or advice in how to write a letter attach your email to a reply and i will forward the letter i sent to the company

Ivan89

• 2 months later...

hello i just recently got bitten by Careers Jobs UK on the 13/07/2011 it sounded to be a great deal as i would be MCITP well thats what i remember them saying.

i now get the feeling that it was too good to be true.

It was not until i got an welcome email with the terms and conditions after paying the non-refundable deposit to book my place on the course. which i think this is ethically and morally wrong not allowing my to read / view all the terms and conditions of the course until after payment.

To find out from the terms and conditions that there are no exams included in the price there an additional cost as i assumed.

im still in the cooling off period until and just wounded what i should do

thank you for any help you can give

Most of the time same criteria happened in home learning course even i also suffering from same situation in last march i took admission for online excel course but now same thing happened with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am too having problems cancelling my home learning course. I have tried various different things but have been told there is no way out of it and I will have to pay! I am struggling with the direct debit payments and will have to look to cancelling them soon but I have read on the terms and conditions that there will be a charge for every payment I miss! I cannot afford to do this, can anyone help!?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I joined the home learning college in feburary 20011 after talking on the phone to a salesman .The course i wanted was E commerse he told me CIW was the course for me. So i signed up. Low and behold there is 33 pages on E commerse WOW out of 10 Books each with 130 odd pages in them.So i'm very dissapointed. Anyway my payments are £75 month i stopped the direct debit and paid by card.I AM NOW UNEMPLOYED so told them i can only afford £45 a month they agreed it for 3 months.But i can't afford that so i will be going the CAB see what they say. I will be trying to get out of the course £1800 doin me head in its so Boring. I will be back with updates.

• 2 months later...

if anyone needs help or advice in how to write a letter attach your email to a reply and i will forward the letter i sent to the company

Ivan89

hi ivan

can you forward the email you sent cancelling the home learning college course please???

my email is.....tonydag at hotmail.co.uk many thanks in advance

tony

Hi,

I'm having an issues with payments and I have been struggling with my course, too. My decission to take one of HLC courses was too quick due to very nice talk of the recruitment guy (limited count of students, great future with certificate, etc.). Secondly not everything he said was as he said, especially the way of support they provide. My work condition haven't change and now I work hard just to pay course I ain't able to study. The quality of the course books I wont even mention, why they don't use MS materials and reprint own version?!? Anyways, Could you send me copy of your cancellation, please?? I do appreciate that, mate... (reply to jkenairub at gmail.com)

With regards

Ivan89

Hi,

I've been having an issues with payments and I have been struggling with my course, too. My decision to take one of HLC courses was too quick due to very nice talk of the recruitment guy (limited number of students, a great future with certificate, etc.). Secondly not everything he said is as he said, especially the way of support they provide. My work condition haven't changed yet and now I work hard just to pay the course I ain't able to study. The quality of the course books I wont even mention, why they don't use MS materials and reprint own version?!? Anyways, could you forward me the copy of your cancellation letter, please?? I do appreciate any response, mate... (forward to jkenairub at gmail.com)

With regards