• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part used for testing (and ours reinstalled) as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Water Meter A Con

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Am beyond annoyed. Had water meter fitted 18 months ago. am aware of policy that you cant have it removed after 12 months of having one of the flaming things put in. anyway, i was assured by people at the water company, that as a single parent with one child, i could drastically reduce my water bill by having a meter installed.So i did. My payments (i pay monthly by direct debit) shot up after 12 months of having the thing (form £19 per month to £43). I have paid without failure. But cant really afford this. there is no way i would have had it fitted had I known this could happen. and no i dont fill a swimming pool every night or anything like that. Am fuming because i think i have been mis informed by the water people. I have been told by them that there is nothing i can do to get it teken out and there is no way of appeal. Surely this cant be right??? If anyone has had success in a similar situation, please let me know!!! Thanks

I used to work for a water company and can't remember one instance where they removed one after the 12 months so am afraid you might be stuck with it

however 43 quid a month does seem high for your circumstances, check that your meter readings are actual reads and not estimated for starters, if they are estimated then provide actual readings, if you have an outside meter under a manhole cover and cant access it they have to send someone out to you to read it

if the bill is correct check for the following

dripping taps, they waste ALOT of water so if you have any replace the washers, get a hippo bag for the loo (or put a house brick in there) vastly reduces the amount of water used to flush.

save your washing up and do one big batch instead of 2 or 3 a day and never leave the tap running when you brush teeth

all simple things but they do work, I used to be on a meter and my water bill went down to 12 quid a month when I did all those :) (had a 3 year old boy at the time with all the associated grubbyness, toilet mishaps to clean up after and extra clothes washing as they seem to be dirt magnets!)

pm me if you need any other help as I still have pals who work there and they might have other suggestions :)

claim v natwest WON!

all posts made by myself are without prejudice

I moved house a year ago and I received a letter from Three Valleys Water telling me they would be installing a meter. It turns out that the water companies can legally install a meter in a property once it has changed hands. In my case it has turned into a bonus. My water rates for 2007/7 would have been £348, but the bill for metered water useage and the usual standing charges will be about £150 for the year.

As was said above, I would check to see if they have actually been reading your meter. It would do you no harm to read it yourself either and make your own records. And as said above, simple changes to your water using habits can make a big difference.

Which water company is it by the way?

I was told by the citizens advice that if you had any dependant children and had a water meter then there is a process for having it removed ( but I don't know anything about the 12 month period) perhaps it's worth giving them a bell just to double check things

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

:( Hi

your charges sound excessive for your circumstances. My water bill has drastically been reduced.

My mother however, went onto water meter 1 year ago and had problems with her bill from day one. Long and drawn out, but reason was toilet in down stairs cloak room had a very small drip leak that was going under floorboards. Which would have gone undetected to this day if she had not been on meter.

You may have a tiny leak somewhere.

Regards

Dee

Personally I am flabbergasted that you pay that much with a water metre.

I have 4 kids and we constantly use Bath/Shower etc. AND the washing machine is on virtually 24 hours a day. Yet when I moved into my new property I insisted on getting a water metre. Thames Water sent me a leaflet insisting that with my famly size I would end up paying double. It has been shown that I actually pay HALF. My payments have gone from £30/pm to £15/pm.

Like I said I have 4 kids and we NEED a lot of water. Either you have the hose pipe on in the garden all day or you have a water leak. Get the water company over to check it out.

Innocenti my water bill is almost the same as yours I pay £41.00 a month with no meter on a monthly payment plan ( with no arrears ) my friend down the street has a water meter and hers is approximately £40.00 a month but they have to watch how many times they fill the kettle at that !I think it varies due to the supplier we have Severn Trent water - it's all totally unfair I think the whole country should pay a set price:) so that they can't make huge profits out of us

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

Innocenti my water bill is almost the same as yours I pay £41.00 a month with no meter on a monthly payment plan ( with no arrears ) my friend down the street has a water meter and hers is approximately £40.00 a month but they have to watch how many times they fill the kettle at that !I think it varies due to the supplier we have Severn Trent water - it's all totally unfair I think the whole country should pay a set price:) so that they can't make huge profits out of us

I like that idea! It said on the news last year that Water Rates were going to rise and that people could be paying over £400 for their water in 5 years time, I was :eek: at this because I am paying £490 a year NOW! And I live in the North West, all it does is rain here!

• 1 year later...