Telephone harassment - an action plan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

**NOTE : The following posts have been removed from the information thread of the same title which can be found HERE ****

Can you clarify a date when this landline recorder wll come out? I was defrauded through Paypal and had my account closed because I wouldn't pay up! How can I pay for one and also some sticky labels? When we finish with the DCA's can we all move on to Paypal please? I'm not actually sure who is worse... :o :o :confused: :confused: :mad: :mad: Paypal are ok if you're only buying I suppose.

Edited by citizenB

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might give it a try. But Ebay own Paypal now and I wouldn't want to risk using it on my Ebay account. I could never rest easy that my funds were safe. I don't know if it's worth creating a new account just to buy 2 items from this site. I'm hoping this site might take a credit card or bank transfer. I only ever really used Paypal for Ebay. Thanks for the suggestion though, I bear it in mind.

• 6 months later...

Please post here if you have sent off an official telephone harassment letter template, it has been respected and you are no longer being telephoned. Please state what organisation you sent the letter off to. Thanks.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/126110-telephone-harassment-letters-respected.html

Please post here if you have sent off an official telephone harassment letter template, it has not been respected and you are still being telephoned. Please state what organisation you sent the letter off to. Thanks.

Telephone Harassment Letters Not Respected.

If you are being harassed, but haven't yet sent off a letter, then please do. More responses are definitely needed. I want to let this post fester for a couple of months and then see what's what. I have a couple of good ideas on what to do next.

The telephone harassment letter can be found here:

Harassment by telephone - Consumer Wiki

• 2 weeks later...

Yes u can grumpy.

You can say something like l did.

If my request is not dealt with with 7 days then l resevre the right to make a cliam against you at my local courts.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I spoke to a solicitor at Cobbetts this week about this very subject.

Harassment damages would be unlikely to exceed £5000, so you can simply start a claim through Small Claims.

Prelim Harassment letter including reference to Harassment Act and damages

Letter before Action

If hassle continues...

Small Claim against them for say, £2,500.

You need to provide evidence of at least two occasions of harassment.

You could do this by means of a SAR for your call log if need be.

• 4 weeks later...
It's not difficult and can even be therapeutic. Imagine how you will feel when you realise that you are doing something about it. That you are secretly building an evidence file which will put you back in control.
  • Buy a good size exercise book from your local stationers to be used as a log book.. You will need one with non-detachable pages and the pages should be numbered if possible.
  • If you have blocked your phone to withheld numbers - then unblock it. (you will need to receive calls.)
  • Keep a clock or timer next to the phone.
  • Start keeping a detailed diary of your unwanted calls.
  • Log date, time and length of call. Don't keep more than one or two per page. (Keep it neat)
  • As soon as the call is finished do a 1471 and log if there was a number or if the callerID was withheld. Note down a detailed account of what was said by whom, was the caller male or female etc.
  • Start trying to go through various scenarios so that you log a number of typical exchanges. You might be upset. You might be angry, Try being very cooperative in order to draw more information as to who is calling and on behalf of whom.
  • You might want to plead with them to stop calling or to tell them that it is very late and that the children will be wakened.

You will soon learn to get into the role and you will soon understand how to draw the full range of reactions from your harasser.

Do not tell any lies. Keep your reactions typical of the ones which you would have were you not this time turning the tables.

We suggest that you go through this for a month or so.

Keep your call log book in good condition. Do not tear out any pages. Keep the page numbers fully sequential.

In addition too this, we would suggest that you record the calls. Telephone recording is legal. You do not need to warn the other side.

If you use Skype then there are several software programs around which will let you do this. We have found that callBurner is very good and we will be offering it through this site very soon. There are cheaper programs and even free ones but CallBurner seems to be very fully featured and we think that it is worth the price considering the problem you are trying to combat.

If you use a landline then get a telephone recorder from Maplins. However, we will soon be offering a very superior landline telephone recorder through this site and a good price.

If you do record your calls, then you should still keep your written log but also reference each written log to the voice recording which you have obtained on tape or on computer file.

The big question is always -

Do I have to warn the other side that I am recording them?

The answer is NO you do not.

This is a common misconception.

As long as you are not interfering with the BT phone line then you are breaking no laws. Telephone recording is legal.

Click on the Chilli to download a trial copy of CallBurner, the Skype CallRecorder:- chilli.png

BEWARE! I told a well known debt collection agency that had purchased a DISPUTED debt with Barclays that due to their record I would not accept any more phone calls from them and all future communications must be in writing (they refused to allow me sight of SAR under data protection act) GUESS what this firm of debt collectors did in retaliation... They phoned my accountant and employee and three (at least) other NEIGHBOURS in my postcode and told them to POP A NOTE IN MY FRONT DOOR!!! to phone them URGENTLY about outstanding FINANCIAL MATTER.

They continued to refuse me sight of my file under Data protection act and so for a simple life I paid the total claim from BARCLAYS although they all knew I did not owe it as subject to me being victim of fraud.

So beware if you upset debt collectors.

In which case you have a claim against them for financial losses and anxiety due to the harassment suffered.

You also have a claim against them under the Data Protection Act.

You should also inform the OFT as these activities are considered to be oppressive, deceptive and psychological harassment and as such unfair business methods. (complaint form on their site)

NEVER EVER pay money you dont owe.

That is a horrible story, but are you just going to leave it at that then? After all they have done to you? It is stories like this that drive me to fight them harder and harder and to exhort others to do the same! I strongly suggest that you start your own thread about this matter and seek justice. Debt Action Group has whipped their botties on countless occasions over a variety of issues.

• 2 weeks later...
BEWARE! I told a well known debt collection agency that had purchased a DISPUTED debt with Barclays that due to their record I would not accept any more phone calls from them and all future communications must be in writing (they refused to allow me sight of S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) under data protection act) GUESS what this firm of debt collectors did in retaliation... They phoned my accountant and employee and three (at least) other NEIGHBOURS in my postcode and told them to POP A NOTE IN MY FRONT DOOR!!! to phone them URGENTLY about outstanding FINANCIAL MATTER.

They continued to refuse me sight of my file under Data protection act and so for a simple life I paid the total claim from BARCLAYS although they all knew I did not owe it as subject to me being victim of fraud.

I am not doubting what you say. If they did all those things you would have an excellent case against these people and I would advise you institute proceedings without delay. I would NEVER pay these maggots just to get rid of them. You have a clear cut NO LOSE case with plenty of independant witnesses and MUST take action.

Please post here if you have sent off an official telephone harassment letter template, it has been respected and you are no longer being telephoned. Please state what organisation you sent the letter off to. Thanks.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/126110-telephone-harassment-letters-respected.html

Please post here if you have sent off an official telephone harassment letter template, it has not been respected and you are still being telephoned. Please state what organisation you sent the letter off to. Thanks.

Telephone Harassment Letters Not Respected.

If you are being harassed, but haven't yet sent off a letter, then please do. More responses are definitely needed. I want to let this post fester for a couple of months and then see what's what. I have a couple of good ideas on what to do next.

The telephone harassment letter can be found here:

Harassment by telephone - Consumer Wiki

I haven't been posting in the debt forums for a few weeks. I am under a self-imposed hiatus due to a build up of stress. :D :D :D I just get steamed whenever I show up here. I feel like David Banner on a bad day who has just been slapped on the forehead by the Tango Man. More self-control and anger management definitely needed. However, I certainly haven't forgotten this. I want to make one last appeal for people to send these letters off and post up the results. As it stands, it is already clear that these letters are regularly being ignored. I will wait till April 1st, a good day to start dealing with these fools, and then consider my next step. One I thing I definitely want to see is a simple web form where these complaints can be submitted on the OFT site and then automatically directed to TS. Does that sound reasonable? Anyone have any other ideas?

Hi all

Not sure if this is relevant to the thread, but here goes:

The Office of Fair Trading publication entitled 'Debt collection guidance; final guidance on unfair business practices (OFT664)' - and ambiguous sort of document - as you might expect - equivocates thus:

[sic. examples of unfair practices are as follows]

2.2 c. those contacting debtors not making clear who they are, who they work for, what their role is, what the purpose of contact is...

2.2 g. ignoring or disregarding debtors' legitimate wishes in respect of when and where to contact them, for exmaple, shift workers who ask not to be telephones during certain times of the day...

Quite what qualifies as a legitimate wish I'd like to know.

I know my interpolation here doesn't continue fluently from the thread, but I'll be extremely grateful to anyone who can help me to outwit Nationwide, who've contacted my mother (my financial information has always been sent to her address) and even though she's told them not to call there they still do. I'm exasperated.

For my sins, btw, I am a debt collector myself. There's no excuse for that, yet I mention it because I can tell of many contraventions of the law; what exists de jure, of course, is not a de facto right for the poor.

I intend to declare myself bankrupt. So, I did actually log on to quickly find out whether, if I do, it'll affect me mother's ability to re-mortgage in a few years. I don't still know. I know that it's incumbent upon me to find the answer for myself here at this oracle. Nonetheless a quick answer I entreat. As I understand it, if one has had no ostensible connection to a previous address for six months, it won't affect anothers credit file. But what if I were to declare myself bankrupt today, still associated to my ma's address?

Anyhow, if anyone wants advice on how to outwit the eff-witted like of me (DCA), please just ask. There are some very mean people out there. My employer is counted among them.

Just out of interest what was the name of the company? My partner has had calls from someone about his barclaycard bill HF2 or some such name. She rings the home phone and his mobile (no idea how she got this)... Tonight was final straw, partner told her that 8.20pm classed as harassment, and he would not be talking to her, she then rang every minute on both home and mobile number, leaving a message on home phone of MUSIC playing!!! also partner answered mobile an put on loudspeaker and some was SCREAMING down the phone. On an earlier day she also tried to blackmail my partner into answering the phone by saying she would get the sack if he didn't

Cannot recall company name she gave, but she clearly isn't from any company and tried for all she was worth to get hold of our bank details... HELP!!!

Am going to the police in the morning.

now i have not heard that tactic used. Maybe i should use something similar if you ring me you will get scaked?

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• 3 months later...

I have had good results with a recording adapter from Crucible Technologies (about £35) and Windows MP3 Voice Activated MP3 recording software called iSound Pro - this system automatically records all landline calls inbound and outbound from all phones in the house. Also Olympus sell digital voice activated recorders that work amazingly well - use them for face to face meetings or instead of a PC with iSound Pro - they give about 5 hours recording.

Do remember that if you want to share the recordings with anybody not party to the original conversation you must tell the other party about the recording - record the disclaimer as proof!

Once you have given the disclaimer you can legally publish the conversation on the Internet if you so please.

Most call centre staff do not even listen or understand the disclaimer - especially if you say it fast in a different voice.

I have saved thousands of pounds already by just saying "This call is being recorded for legal reasons"

Edited by clumch
typo

• 3 months later...

The original post is one way of approaching the telephone harassment problem, but it may not be suitable for everyone.

You will still have to deal with the telephone threat monkeys, which not everybody feels capable of doing adequately. Also, people who work at home will be losing valuable time handling these nuisance calls, and that translates into money.

I really cannot believe that with modern technology this problem has not been solved for good.

Whose property is the telephone? Who pays for the rental of the line? Therefore, who should have the choice of who is allowed to communicate with us on that line?

That's right, WE SHOULD.

If it is possible to identify callers using caller display, then it must be possible to develop software which can take different actions based on the input received.

If a call is a "white" call, from a known friendly number, then the telephone (or computer set up to act as a telephone) would ring in the normal way. The number would be displayed, so you would know where the call was coming from before you answered it.

If a call is a "black" call, coming from a known nuisance number or a withheld number, then the machine would deal with the call by "answering" it with an unobtainable tone and then freeing the line. This would be done without any noise occurring in the room, so you could get 100 nuisance calls, and not be disturbed. The numbers would be available to print out to use in any complaints to relevant authorities.

If the call is a "grey" call, originating from an unknown number, then the machine can ring to alert you to the call, and then give an answering message which warns that this number does not accept calls from religious, political or commercial organizations. If the caller then speaks, you can take the call, or ignore it as you see fit. If it turns out to be a nuisance call, you would just have to press one key to add the number to the "black" list, and not be disturbed again.

These features should surely be standard on all telephones by now, as they only give the owner of the telephone the rights they should have in their own home. Similar features on email accounts are standard. As I have not been able to find any telephone which has such features, or any computer software which could turn a PC into a telephone with these features, we cannot claim our rights as we should.

The authorities are useless, and the harassers just get away with everything. One simple software application would solve 99% of the problems, with user defined options. Surely it shouldn't be too difficult to design something like this?

I know I would pay for it. I wonder how many others would as well?

SH

Here is a way to ensure that you are never bothered by nuisance calls from a DCA (or anybody else for that matter), while still being able to maintain a relationship by telephone with your friends, contacts, and family

You will need a broadband connection and a PC with either a headset or a microphone and speakers. If you have these already, then the only expense will be just over £2 a month for a Skype subscription.

1) Your landline telephone number, which is in the hands of the enemy already, needs to be seen as a throwaway. Give it to every jerk who demands a contact telephone number.

2) Pull the plug out of the wall. This will prevent any calls causing a nuisance. You can replace the plug if you need to call out, and you can check for messages with 1571. This number is good for BT lines, and Virgin cable lines.

3) Download Skype software onto your PC (this is free). You can now make unlimited calls to anyone in the world who also has Skype at no charge whatsoever.

4) Sign up for a subscription to Skype. This allows you to call standard landlines using your Skype number, and it also gives you a SkypeIn number with which you can receive calls.

5) The software gives you some options. Although there is no facility for barring individual numbers (you'll have to ask them why), you can have the settings so that only people in your contacts list can call you. What I have done is set it so that only contacts can call me, but anyone can leave a chat message. That way, any Skype user who wants to get hold of me can do, and then if I want to go to voice I can just add them to my contacts.

This is a cheap system for anyone who already has broadband internet and a PC. It is effective as well. If you are used to calling overseas with a regular landline, then using Skype's free option will probably save you more than the extra spend anyway. If the other person has Skype as well, you can call them for free anywhere in the world.

This system reduces the chance of being disturbed by nuisance calls to absolute zero. They cannot get through to you on Skype if they are not in your contacts, and the landline is pulled out of the wall. The worst you might have to do is delete some silly messages, but you can do that in your time, not in theirs, and you certainly don't have to listen to the full message.

Your contacts can talk to you freely during the time the PC is switched on, and anyone can leave a message on the landline using the 1571 service.

Just one of many options to consider when deciding how to handle DCA or creditor harassment.

SH

Alternativley you can just set up skype and when they call state they dont have the number any more and there new number is the skype number. From what i have been told they will record and mail u all transcripts of telephone convos u want them to.

Quick question...do i have to give a contact number to debt collectors. I am being continually called at work by HFO and now Turnbull Rutherford Solicitors. I have just come of the phone after a wasted 10 mins of the guy continually butting - despite several requests to put everything in writing as i am in an open office. i have had to change my mobile number already and share a house in which the number is ex dir.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Quick question...do i have to give a contact number to debt collectors. I am being continually called at work by HFO and now Turnbull Rutherford Solicitors. I have just come of the phone after a wasted 10 mins of the guy continually butting - despite several requests to put everything in writing as i am in an open office. i have had to change my mobile number already and share a house in which the number is ex dir.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

NO!!!!

You do NOT have to give any debt collector anything. They do seem to have no trouble in finding these numbers, though.

Just for the record, I do not recommend BT Choose To Refuse service as it has no guarantee of working. It only blocks 10 numbers, and some of the worst phone thugs use more numbers than that, specifically to overcome Choose To Refuse. You could find it wasted money.

If you are on cable, the service is not available anyway.

Anonymous Call Reject is worth having, as it will block any and all withheld numbers. Again, though, it won't defeat the worst harassers as they have multiple numbers and do not withhold them.

If you have a PC and broadband internet then I recommend the system detailed above. It is 100% effective and is no more expensive than signing up for BTs unworkable solutions.

Of course none of this is any defence to work harassment. It should be up to the owners of the telephone line to deal with this.

SH