Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder Yog sothoth Novitiate Yog sothoth's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

Default What do DCAs pay for a debt?

Apologies if my threads are peppering the board like a rash but I have all kinds of questions and I don't want to hijack other people's threads.

I've been wondering what percentage of the original balance is paid by DCAs to the original creditor, to purchase a debt? Is there a set percentage or does it vary?

Reason I'm asking is that, if it ever came to me wanting to settle a debt with a DCAicon (unlikely as things are now ), I'd want to have some idea of a realistic figure to put forward.

If say, the original debt was 10K, would the DCA have paid 8K, 5K or even 2K?

My instinct would be to try and settle a debt like that for say 3K if I could. Does that ever happen?

Similar Threads:

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Scotland

Default Re: What do DCAs pay for a debt?

If say, the original debt was 10K, would the DCAicon have paid 8K, 5K or even 2K?
    More likely 1K. They usually pay around 10% of the value of an unsecured debt.

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

Hmmm...interesting.

Basic Account Holder lemma1968 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jun 2007

It does beg the question - why on earth do the banks not make the debtor the offer of a Full and finalicon at 10% rather than selling it on to these vultures?

Very annoying really. Don't quite understand the logic.....if there is any that is

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

Yeah that's a very good point. They probably sell it on to the bloodsuckers to punish us for being bad debtors.

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Scotland

It does beg the question - why on earth do the banks not make the debtor the offer of a Full and finalicon at 10% rather than selling it on to these vultures?
    Because there would be no tax benefit to the bank in doing so.

Cagger since
    Jun 2007

Cos they can write it off as a bad debt if they sell it to the DCAicon's?

Can't they still write it off as a partial bad debt if they settle to us? Tax is not my strong point as my accountants can attest to!!!!

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    Wales
    Blog Entries

Logic

Banks and DCAs don't have logic

BB

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8 Authoritative tomterm8's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by lemma1968 View Post

Very annoying really. Don't quite understand the logic.....if there is any that is
    Firstly, they don't want to make it easy on people who don't fulfill their commitments...

and, secondly, because the Tax Man will enable them to write off a substantial amount of the debt against profit, which wouldn't happen if they were to do the same thing to their client.

Don't forget... many of the banks OWN DCAicon's as part of their business strategy.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.
    Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Scotland

The tax break is bigger if they writing off the whole of the debt........oops got there to late. Tomterm8's given you a fuller answer.

Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39 Authoritative babybear39's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    Wales
    Blog Entries

Convenient loophole, 'sepecially for the ones that do it 'in-house'

Maybe the little 'ole Tax man should be looking into that

BB

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jun 2007

yes, a whole industry has been built up the back of the misery of others.
    Some of the trolls that scour this site should look to their own corners before they go about criticising us and questioning our morality

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    dannyboy660 Highly informative dannyboy660 Highly informative dannyboy660 Highly informative dannyboy660 Highly informative dannyboy660 Highly informative dannyboy660 Highly informative dannyboy660 Highly informative dannyboy660's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006

Absolutely right. It's all a big rip off and another way of profiteering for Banks. Ironically, there's money to made from debts!!

Settling your debts

That site is obviously very USA but take alook around, it makes a very interesting read considering many of our own DCAicon's/Purchasers are US based or influenced.

Basic Account Holder vandermerwe Informative vandermerwe Informative vandermerwe's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2007
    I am in
    West Midlands

In their preliminary annual report (December 2006) Cattells, owner of Lewis Group, CL Finance etc. announced the purchase of some 80 million of unsecured debt for around 15% of the face value.Vandermerwe

Basic Account Holder dom2 Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2007

My personal experience.
    The DCAs buy at various risk categories.
    As you say usually around the 10% mark.
    I'm dealing with an alleged debt for a third party, CCA'd the DCAicon and they sent background paperwork instead of the agreement. It showed they paid 2%!
    Admittedly this was an old debt almost statute barredicon with very little chance of contact/payment from the debtor.
    Bottom feeders indeed

Basic Account Holder vandermerwe Informative vandermerwe Informative vandermerwe's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2007
    I am in
    West Midlands

That's interesting dom2. Can you scan the papers to the site - I'm sure they would make interesting reading. Wonder if the figures quoted by Cattell related to GE Money/Capital Bank who were recently dumped by Harrods? Vandermerwe

Basic Account Holder dom2 Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2007

Hi
    Sorry but I don't want to uploadicon anything until it's sorted. After that I'll send all stuff such as this to the website.

It's simply a computer print out headed creditsolve - live; legal report.
    Gives the date acquired and in line5 says ....
    P/ - 0.0249

Oh, and now they confirm that there's no copy of agreement.

It seems to me that many contributors on this site are in a similar position. Nice to know just how little the DCAs pay for high risk lots.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    FANTASY CHARGES Informative FANTASY CHARGES Informative FANTASY CHARGES Informative

Cagger since
    Sep 2006

Default if a CREDITOR sells a debt & claims tax relief when in default is it legal?

if a CREDITOR sells a debt & claims tax relief when in default is it legal?

imagine a creditor assigns/sells an alleged debt whilst in default of the CCAct 1978 section 78 and then claims tax relief ----- has anyone thought of writing to the tax people to inform them that the account in question was in default [of the CCAct 1978 section 78 ] and consequently this is an illegal action ??

sunbathing in juan les pins de temps en temps
    Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative gizmo111 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Default Re: if a CREDITOR sells a debt & claims tax relief when in default is it legal?

Quote Originally Posted by FANTASY CHARGES View Post
    if a CREDITOR sells a debt & claims tax relief when in default is it legal?

imagine a creditor assigns/sells an alleged debt whilst in default of the CCAct 1978 section 78 and then claims tax relief ----- has anyone thought of writing to the tax people to inform them that the account in question was in default [of the CCAct 1978 section 78 ] and consequently this is an illegal action ??

Why would it be illegal?
    All the default ascertains is that the debt is unenforceable, it still exists.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Monty2007 Informative Monty2007 Informative Monty2007 Informative Monty2007 Informative Monty2007 Informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2007

Default Re: if a CREDITOR sells a debt & claims tax relief when in default is it legal?

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo111 View Post
    Why would it be illegal?
    All the default ascertains is that the debt is unenforceable, it still exists.
    This is an interesting point.

If the total amount of the debt to be written off is made up of illegal charges and interesticon that are not contractually agreed (e.g. through the clear absence of a CCA) then I would suggest that claiming tax write-off on the total balance MAY be interpreted as theft/obtaining money by deception.

The analogy would be a company writing off bad debt against its corporation tax, knowing that the actual amount is almost certainly less. So for example, the sum defaulted for a credit card is 8 K and the OC has added say 2 K in interest/charges (now 10 K) and sold the bad debt for 1 K they would be claiming tax relief on 9 K. The 9 K would be incorrect by virtue of the charges and interest especially if it was know that no such agreement exists between the parties. Hence they would be obtaining tax relief on a higher amount = deception/theft.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE