Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder givingitago Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Apr 2007
    I am in
    Cheshire, UK

Default Help please! Moneyshop problem

Hi all,

This is my first full post here and I wanted to ask for some advice from the knowledgable folk that are always around here! Essentially, without going into too much detail, I have an impending problem. I have, in the past, used the Moneyshop to obtain 'cash 'til payday' advances on my wages. Essentially you write them a cheque for a hundred pounds and they give you 87 back. They then cash it the next month unless you pay another 14 on each cheque to extend it by a month. I have currently got 500 of debt with them and have been extending the cheques. The problem is that I am soon to be out of work and have no income until the benefits start. I am then going to be unable to extend the cheques as I can't afford it! My bank won't give me an overdrafticon to cover this as I have a bad credit history. So I am facing a load of cheques going out and nothing there to cover them.

I want to ask if anyone can suggest the best course of action. Do you think writing to Moneyshop and explaining the situation will lead to them allowing a repayment planicon? Obviously this would be better than bouncing the cheques and ending up with a large, unauthorised overdraft and all the charges that go with it.

I'm getting really stressed out by this and any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance! J

Similar Threads:

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    PPMAN159 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2007
    I am in
    Kent

Default Re: Help please! Moneyshop problem

Your idea of speakling to Moneyshop and explaining your situation to them would seem the best course ofmaction at this monent in time.

At least by doing this you will be proactive and up front about your situation and as such they will, hopefully, be able to offer advice and help.

If they get snotty then maybe a visit to your local Citizens Advice Bureau may be needed.

Good luck

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    Ashton under Lyne

It might be an idea to cancel the cheques if they don't want to listen as there may be an issue of you writing the cheques knowing there's no funds to cover them. Will also save a lot of charges. Get in before they do if need be.

Good luck, Dave.

If my post was helpful don't forget to click the star!

Advice is offered freely, without liability and without prejudice.
    If in any doubt professional legal advice should be sought.

I do not profess to be in any way legally trained, I am a big
    oily truck driver and all I know has been learned within the
    Consumer Action Group.

FAQ's
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...se-read-these/

Trying to stop smoking?
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...-smoking-here/

A dummies guide to the forums
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...i-dummies.html

--
    KEEP WILDLIFE IN THE WILD

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
    BORN FREE FOUNDATION
    --

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Champnos Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

I used to use them all the time, it apears a good idea when you need money but like you say you end up delaying them and one day they have to be paid. Well i would speak to them and see if they can do anything, if they cant they could bank them as they will be "Gaurenteed cheques" using your cheque guarentee card, this will result in you going over your overdraft and getting charges from the bank which you will then want to reclaim.
    If none of this works maybe take out a small 500 loan? my credit record was seriously bad but there are some lenders although the interesticon rate will not be good!

Basic Account Holder lost24 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    South East London

Hi there - I too thought they were a good idea until things spun out of control for me.

I was in the same situation and spoke to them - all they could offer was a 12 month loan for the value of the outstanding cheques plus interesticon - I'm not sure if it is an agreement under the CCA - no credit cheques were required - but you have to pay it by direct debiticon - this may give you some breathing space.
    Best thign to do is speak to them as I am sure you don't want to increase your debt!

All the best!

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative rory32 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Scotland

I know it's a slightly different issue givingitago, but you say that you don't have a very good credit history. Are there any charges from your bank account or previously loans you can claim back?

I know this doesn't help your immediate problem but it may get you a little more money in the next 2 or 3 months.

Basic Account Holder gary105 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Sep 2006

Hi there,

I've just got off the phone to 1st crediticon who have been passed the account from the money shop. Originally the debt was around 400. Now it's 800. They told me that 428 of interesticon has been added (defualts etc), which I'm clearly annoyed about. What shall I do? Shall I pay the full debt or shall I argue that 428 worth of charges is totally unfair?

If someone can help, then I would be very grateful. 1st Credit are now saying that it will be passed over for court action!

Thanks

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    The Funny Farm

This will be the same as when a DCAicon sends out a letter claiming they now own the debt? You have already acknowleged the debt by telephoning them. So I don't think you would get away with denying any knowlege of it.

Send a letter and 1 postal order asking for the original agreement and a breakdown in charges. Remember not to talk to DCAs on the phone deal in writing and don't use your normal signatureicon.

See what they come back with.

Cagger since
    Sep 2006

Thanks - I take it I need to ask the DCAicon for the breakdown of charges or do I need to contact the moneyshop? Also, is there a templateicon letter for this?

Thanks

Cagger since
    Sep 2006

Sorry guys. Can anyone help with this?

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative wino Highly informative

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    The Funny Farm

Quote Originally Posted by gary105 View Post
    Thanks - I take it I need to ask the DCAicon for the breakdown of charges or do I need to contact the moneyshop? Also, is there a templateicon letter for this?

Thanks
    Hi Gary There is a templateicon letter I'll try and find it and post the link here for you. You send it to the DCA. They will then have to prove to you that the debt is enforcable.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    The Funny Farm

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...templates.html

These are the templateicon letters you will need to send letter N.

I got a letter from a DCAicon asking for money or they will take me to court. I sent this letter and they wrote back saying they are not going to persue it further. Give it a go and see what 1st crediticon come up with

Cagger since
    Sep 2006

Ok - Thanks. However, I already wrote to 1st crediticon saying this:

I would like to inform you that the balance of these accounts are in dispute with the original creditor due to unlawful charges. Therefore, I consider these accounts to be in dispute and no further action shall be taken until this matter is resolved pursuant to OFT guidelines Section 2.8 k. "not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt."

I also reserve the right to pursue the legal owner for any and all unlawful charges that have been levied on these accounts.

I am prepared to take all legal action necessary to recover these unlawful charges.

Shall I now follow it up with Letter N? I'm worried now I've sent the wrong letter!

Many thanks!

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    The Funny Farm

I wouldn't bother with letter N now. Have you disputed the charges in writing to Moneyshop?

I'll check in tomorrow got to go now and get Tea on

Cagger since
    Sep 2006

Yes, I sent them a letter today asking for a full breakdown of charges and payments.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Sep 2007
    I am in
    The Funny Farm

Hi gary
    Again just wait until Moneyshop respond then take it from there.

Cagger since
    Sep 2006

Ok thanks. I'll post further details when I get a response.

Basic Account Holder la2006 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Oct 2006

This may be a silly question but are the moneyshop bound my the Banking Codeicon

Basic Account Holder Mrs_Ryan Novitiate Mrs_Ryan's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2008
    I am in
    2 stops short of Dagenham ;-)

No - they arent a bank so therefore no.

THE PRETENDER AGENDA - August 30,2008 - 2ND ROW!!! WOO-HOO!!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR A FAB NITE LEE! xx
    Sunderland 011008 - THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESSIE EVER! 'Aww, it's your birthday! Happy birthday darlin!'

02 Apr 2008, 23:55
    OfficialLeeRyan wrote:
    i like that!! its simple and good and gets the fans involved aswell x x x

MY SUCCESSES -

1st Credit (Lloyds TSB) admitted no CCA, reply from OFT 130608, reply from FOS 040608, adjudication stage rejected but still no contact....

My mate (Littlewoods/Moorcroft)
    300608 -Long running battle,threatening court, CCA letter NO 2 and harrassment letter sent - passed back to Littlewoods early July.
    070808 - Passed to Debt Managers, Acct in dispute/BOG OFF letter sent 080808...
    140808 - Letter from Debt Managers passing debt back to Littlewoods - RESULT!
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder la2006 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Oct 2006

I complained to the moneyshop about the 25.00 charge per cheque - as i informed them that i have no funds available due to my unemployment situation. - Anyway they ignored this. I made another complaint.

The Moneyshop 'investigation' - standard response its a 30 day loan and you will have to pay all charges and extra interesticon.... I asked for a statement of account and breakdown of charges which they have not supplied.

They say i have to complain to British Cheque Cashers Association first before i can complain to the Financial Ombudsmanicon servie. It it worth complaining the BCCA?

In the credit agreement it states

"Complaint we cannot settle via our complaint procedure may be referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service."

Theres no mention of the BCCA.

I would also like to know if the 25.00 charge per a cheque worth under 50.00 is fair.

The moneyshop said thats what the bank charges them? Is this true?. (I did inform them of my financial difficulties)

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE