Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder DP2000 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jun 2007

Default Tower Investigations LTD

Hi guys, first post here. Will introduce myself in the welcome forums next.

Anyway, a few days ago i received this letter:

Dear Mr XXXXXXXXXX,

We act on behalf of a client and would be oblidged if you could telephone us on FREEPHONE 0800 XXX XXXX in order to assist us with our enquiry.

Yours sincerely

Tower Investigations Ltd

Tower Investigations
    No specifics, no address, no contact name, just the FREEPHONE number, web url (that takes you to a very basic front page) and reference number.

Looking at the posts on Grumbletext, UK consumer complaints - post online and via SMS text message!

..they seem to be tied to two companies called GLOBAL DEBT RECOVERY LIMITED / GLOBAL DIRECT SERVICES PLC.

Knowing that i have never encountered any financial difficluties or had any outstanding debts, my gut instinct is to ignore the letter and avoid this lot like the plague. However, i am curious to know if anyone else on here has received something similar or had dealings with Tower Investigations?

Kind Regards

DP

Similar Threads:
    Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Curlyben Authoritative Curlyben Authoritative Curlyben Authoritative Curlyben Authoritative Curlyben Authoritative Curlyben Authoritative Curlyben Authoritative Curlyben Authoritative Curlyben Authoritative Curlyben Authoritative Curlyben Authoritative Curlyben's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Default Re: Tower Investigations LTD

Yep, I'd ignore it completely.
    If there is a DCAicon out there looking for you they'll surface in the end.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative

Cagger since
    Mar 2006

To be on the safe side, it might be an idea to take a look at your credit files.
    Experian, Equifax and Call Credit are the three-and you can order your
    files online.
    It is possible that someone with the same name as you is the person they are
    looking for and might have added it to your file in error.
    Another possibility is that your id has been cloned, so once again, checking
    your credit file might stop things escalating.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave Authoritative diskmandave's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    Ashton under Lyne

Given what LFI has said... I'ld (personally) be inclined to call them... It's an 0800 number, do it from a telephone box... From what U say, U are debt free, so this could be a serious matter. A close friend or colleague could have named you as a referee that is being checked out..?

Don't forget that under shedloads of regulations they must tell you the exact nature of their contact!

Look forward to updates.

Regards, Dave.

If my post was helpful don't forget to click the star!

Advice is offered freely, without liability and without prejudice.
    If in any doubt professional legal advice should be sought.

I do not profess to be in any way legally trained, I am a big
    oily truck driver and all I know has been learned within the
    Consumer Action Group.

FAQ's
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...se-read-these/

Trying to stop smoking?
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...-smoking-here/

A dummies guide to the forums
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...i-dummies.html

--
    KEEP WILDLIFE IN THE WILD

http://www.bornfree.org.uk
    BORN FREE FOUNDATION
    --

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder DP2000 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jun 2007

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I've taken LFI's advice and ordered a credit file - Experian have a free 30 day trial so I plumped for them.

I have this nagging feeling that it could have something to do with an ex-girlfriend that I lived with & seperated from 5 years ago. Still, that's purely speculative at the moment, we'll see when the files arrive - I Shall report back.

Kind Regards

DP

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative lookinforinfo Authoritative

Cagger since
    Mar 2006

DP2000,whatever appears on Experian, you will still have to get the other
    two reports since banks etc report to different Credit Reporting Agencies.
    It is as well to be fully informed on what may be on your separate files
    which may help clarify why Tower are trying to involved.

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Definately use a call box or withold your number if you decide to ring them. They could be enquiring about a previous occupant of your address

Basic Account Holder KeithDn Novitiate

Cagger since
    Nov 2007

Had the same thing happen to me on Saturday.
    I phoned them mainly because they handle Geneology investigations and it is an interesticon of mine.

I was asked for my birthdate "To comply with the Data Protection Act" I refused to give it them till they told me what it was about. Eventually the individual on the end told me they were acting for a company called "Global....something? " and they were trying to trace an individual whose birthdate they knew. I gave my birthdate and was then asked if I had every lived in Jury, or maybe Dury street, to which the answer was in the negative.

On further consideration I realise that I was stupid to give any information at all, they now have my address AND date of birth.
    I also found the manner of the chap extremely unprofessional, calling me "Mate", and also lying to me with regards to the Data Protection Act, also if they had the birthdate why the need for a follow up question or does this namesake also share my birthdate.

Take heed

Keith

Basic Account Holder notpoodle Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

This seems very '[problem]my' to me. Scary too.

I've just received the exact same letter from Tower Investigations at my home address, but to a completely bogus name. I open ALL letters correctly addressed to this house, even if they don't have my name on them.

Dear Mr XXXXXX

We act on behalf of a client and would be obliged if you could telephone us on FREEPHONE 0800 877 8761 in order to assist us with our enquiry.

Yours sincerely

Tower Investigations Ltd

Tower Investigations
    The only return address on their letter is:

Registered Office: 2C Cartwright Court, Bradley Business Park, Huddersfield, HD2 1GN.

The only phone number is the 0800 number in the text of the letter.

They also show:

Company Registration No 03402831
    consumer crediticon License No 565360
    E-mail: info@towerinvesigations.c om

The only contact details on the website are the registered office and the e-mail address, no phone number.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    (to cut a long story short)

Several years ago I started getting letters to this address with a different name. The first three I sent back "Not at this address". But they kept coming, so I opened one and found it was Inland Revenue claiming unpaid income tax (to this bogus person with a different National Insurance number).

I telephoned them and explained this person doesn't live here and never had. They apologised and said 'ignore the letters", but they kept coming. I phoned several more time and wrote them a letter. But they kept coming. I saved about 20 of them and posted them all back in one envelope with a nasty letter. But they kept coming.

Eventually I had the Bailiff turn up at the front door looking for him. I explained this person doesn't live here, nor had he ever lived here, and it all stopped. UNFORTUNATELY, not before a CCJ had been levied against this address by the Inland Revenue.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I've already had a couple of letters addressed here to this new bogus name (which I've dealt with), and it's my guess that Tower Investigations are trying to find this latest [problem]mer.

I tried phoning the 0800 number, but all I got was an automated message which 'claimed' to put my call into a queue (with a very strange ring tone). I'll try again on Monday from a public call box.

Basic Account Holder mitchybabes Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

Hi just recieved a letter from tower investigations i've done a little digging and found there part of global debt recovery does any body know anything about either of these? cheers mitch

Basic Account Holder excel1 Novitiate excel1's Avatar

Cagger since
    Aug 2007
    I am in
    Death to dcasland

They offer a wide range of services, but if they were contacting you for the other services they provide such as pre employment checks etc they would have full details and would write thier request not just please ring this number so they are fishing!

Basic Account Holder cda Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2009

hi ive just had a letter from tower which was sent to my business landlord.Its from an old debt from 1996.This debt was being chased by another company but they must have sold it onto these bozos now.I have used every trick in the book to avoid paying this debt(basicly my house was repossessed and the building society sold it for 6,000 when i took a mortgageicon out for 26,000 theres now a shortfall of of 20k) dont know if this will ever go away but im gonna keep duckin and divin.

Basic Account Holder misspiggy88 Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2011

i have also recieved a letter from them which was sent to my mums address even though i havnt lived there for the last 7 years when she threw me out. I am also really worried because they address the letter to a mrs alexandra hunt. hunt is my ex-partners and my young son's surname and i have never been known by this name or even been married so am really puzzled as to why they are trying to contact me using that incorrect name.
    if they are using the name mrs a.hunt to contact me i can assume its got something to do with when i was living with my ex, which may i add i left him in july 2008 so who could possibly want me using that name, who thinks i live at my mums address and after that amount of time??

does anybody know if there is a list of what companies hire tower investigations to investigate us?? or have any ideas of even just a few companies because i know i owed money to a few people/companies when i left my ex partner in july 2008 but if i know who is tryiong to find me then im more prepared for it.

much appreciated
    thank you

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    sillygirl1 Authoritative sillygirl1 Authoritative sillygirl1 Authoritative sillygirl1 Authoritative sillygirl1 Authoritative sillygirl1 Authoritative sillygirl1 Authoritative sillygirl1 Authoritative sillygirl1 Authoritative sillygirl1 Authoritative sillygirl1 Authoritative sillygirl1's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

With a mortgageicon shortfall it cannot be 'enforced' after 12 years, AND they can only add interesticon for 6 yearsicon..... It drops off your credit files after 12 years (but presumably gets 'archived' and is viewable by certain paid parties.... still to be confirmed).

Quote Originally Posted by cda View Post
    hi ive just had a letter from tower which was sent to my business landlord.Its from an old debt from 1996.This debt was being chased by another company but they must have sold it onto these bozos now.I have used every trick in the book to avoid paying this debt(basicly my house was repossessed and the building society sold it for 6,000 when i took a mortgageicon out for 26,000 theres now a shortfall of of 20k) dont know if this will ever go away but im gonna keep duckin and divin.

Basic Account Holder misspiggy88 Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2011

hi, tower investigations recently sent a letter 2 my mums address which i have not lived at for 7 yrs. they were also using the name mrs alexandra hunt to get in touch with me. ive never been married and the surname they are using is my ex-partners and my young sons surname. and considering i was never known by this name im worried what they could want from me.

i am sure i dont owe any money especially under a name which i have never used!!

does anybody no what companies hire them as this would give me an idea of what it is they want from me

cheers

Premium Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative

Cagger since
    Aug 2010
    I am in
    In need of.......................

What details are on the letter if there is nothing to tell you what they are after ignore them until they do!!

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE