• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DVLA - SORN fine

BreadAndButter
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4005 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent off a sorn document a few weeks ago.

They have not recieved this obviously as today I have recieved a £40 fine

It was sent by regular post, what can I do?

They wont take ANY phonecalls on the matter, only by post, but will it be successful??

The vegicle was scrapped over a month ago

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They wont take ANY phonecalls on the matter, only by post, but will it be successful??

Send a copy of the SORN document Special Delivery with a covering letter of when it was posted.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

I dont have a copy of it?

Do you mean a new form?

No I mean a copy of the original which will have the date of when you first declared the Vehicle Off Road.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

its quite simple if you can have someone validate your vehicle was scrapped like afriend whos a professional solicitor, vicar etc. the other bit of supprting evidence may be if you have claimed a refund on your road tax which proves yr intention the vehicle was of the road.

What about confirmation from your neighbours attesting the vehicle was of the road.

I would be inclined to find out who is in charge of the department and submit your letter to them. I'm sure if you challanged them it would cost them far more then £40 to investigate matters.

• 1 month later...

O, so they wrote back to me. Pretty much saying " Thanks for that, but as you know you still need to send us a form on time. If you have proof of postage or your original reminder slip we can consider it. As the date of X/X/2007 has passed you owe us £80, as the £40 only applies if you pay the fine within 7 days"

Why would they need the reminder slip?? And why, if in dispute, should THEIR timescales give me more fines?!

I don't have it the original reminder.

Also, the car has been scrapped. As far as I know I wasn't required to send one if scrapped anyway??

Dont the people that scrap the vehicle have to inform the DVLA aswell, my father has had the same thing happen DVLA Swansea sent a letter saying thanks for informing us blah blah, then a fine from some other office of the DVLA arrives. :?

Dont the people that scrap the vehicle have to inform the DVLA aswell, my father has had the same thing happen DVLA Swansea sent a letter saying thanks for informing us blah blah, then a fine from some other office of the DVLA arrives. :?

The same thing has happened to my sister after her car was written off: she informed them that the vehicle was scrapped and received a tax refund. They then fined her for not having tax. :evil: I told her to appeal it and hopefully she will keep me informed. Sounds like quite a [problem] they have going.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

DVLA are very good at making money. When they don't receive the SORN they will happily send out these fines with little chance of appealing against them. If however you order a tax disc online and it goes missing in the post then their reaction is "nothing to do with us, it's not out fault". Classic dual standards. The most reliable way of declaring SORN is to do it online. You get a confirmation e-mail straight away.

You might find the following links useful:-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/dvla/99888-continuous-registration-fine-cancelled.html

SORN problem - FightBack Forums

New continuous insurance fine

Guest Gertie100

I'm in the same situation - my car was scrapped and my solicitor advised I send a SORN in - my argument was that I shouldn't send a SORN in because all that will happen is that in 12 months time (or however long the SORN lasts), if the garage hasn't done what they are meant to do I will get a fine for having a vehicle without tax!!!

When I went onto the DVLA website it clearly states that you don't use SORN for scrapping - but apparently that depends on which category scrap it is!!!!! How am I meant to know? I was just sent an offer letter which I accepted!!!!!!

I have been informed this morning that I have to write to the DVLA telling them reg no, date of scrapping, and who has the vehicle now.

Why is nothing ever easy??:rolleyes:

Their letter is as follows:

Dear Mr X

Thank you for your response concerning the late licening penalty imposed upon you for failing to relicense your vehicle as required.

Although you have indicated that you made a SORN, the Department has not received the notification. When the department recieves a SORN we send acknowledgement latter within 4 weeks. It is a metter for you to pursue the letter. For details on this process please see below. If you can provide an acknowledgement letter that was issued prior to the LAte Licensing Pentalty then no further action will be taken.

However, ont he information before us you are still liable for the £80 penalty. Onlypayments recieved by 01/07/2007 are at the reduced rate of £40.

Please pay this penalty by cheaque or postal order payable to DVLA writing the vehicle reg on the back. The payment with this letter should be returned to the above address. Payaments cannot be made by instalments. If you wish to pay by debit/credit card please phone the above number

Should you need to contact us, please quote the registration mark of the vehicle

yours sincerely

Mrs P. Woolley

Enforcement Manager

Write to your MP, they seem to have some clout with the DVLA over this.

It is very common for this to happen - the DVLA seem to lose a huge amount of these - far in excess of the normal expected loss of post.

Not that I'm suggesting it's in their best interests or anything....

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

The same thing has happened to my sister after her car was written off: she informed them that the vehicle was scrapped and received a tax refund. They then fined her for not having tax. :evil: I told her to appeal it and hopefully she will keep me informed. Sounds like quite a [problem] they have going.

If the car was written off, then surely ownership (and responsibility) passed to the insurance company concerned

i did the same i send the sorn form of to dvla,before i knew it got a fine through the post,it went through courts so i appealed but in the end i had to pay £80 for the tax & £20 court costs as i didn't have any proof of it been sorn...think you might ave to put this down as a experience & pay the fine

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar problem, the scrap merchants are supposed to alert the DVLA too, but they didn't. I quite happily appeared in court twice and the county court judge ruled in my favour. The moral is - don't be afraid of the court system, the DVLA are just out to make money, and also be prepared - heres my defence:

The DVLA has issued me with a “penalty” for allegedly not registering my vehicle as SORN.

Notwithstanding the fact that I advised the DVLA of the vehicles status, being taken by a salvage company for monies owed, but by virtue of the fact that the DVLA method of trial is a computer database and the postal system, I consider that the DVLA is acting Ultra Vires by attempting to extort monies from me without due legal process, as is my right under article 6 of the human rights convention and under the Bill of rights 1689. The DVLA is not a Court of Law nor is it a competent authority for the following reasons:

Article 6 of the given European Convention on Human Rights provides that -

"In the determination of his civil rights and obligations or of any criminal charge against him, everyone is entitled to a fair and public hearing within a reasonable time by an independent and impartial tribunal established by law. Judgment shall be pronounced publicly but the press and public may be excluded from all or part of the trial in the interests of morals, public order or national security in a democratic society, where the interests of juveniles or the protection of the private life of the parties so require, or to the extent strictly necessary in the opinion of the court in special circumstances where publicity would prejudice the interests of justice."

The said appeals service offered by the said DVLA is not established in accordance with law, as required by the said Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights -

in that:

The basic laws of the United Kingdom as provided within the Common Law of the Kingdom of England with the Principality of Wales and the province of Northern Ireland, and as further enacted by the Crown and Parliament of the United Kingdom to the purpose of establishing and preserving the Civil Liberties of all people living within the territories of the United Kingdom –

which Common Law may not be repealed and which Statute Law remains un-repealed -

have been and are now being violated by the provisions of such enactment as now claims to provide lawful authority for the existence and conduct of the DVLA, but which fails to provide any such lawful authority, because of the given violations to Constitutional Laws and Provisions which retain the force of law.

In evidence of the submission given, a full reference is made to the text of the Common Law Charter of King Henry III, dated 1225 (the existence of which Charter is now evidenced by the text of the 1297 enactment of King Edward I and his parliament), and a further full reference is made to the several texts of the Declaration & Bill of Rights (variously dated February & December of 1689) –

which latter documents now serve to define and restrict the powers of the Crown in Parliament, to the purpose of preserving Peaceful Government under the Rule of Law,

Article 234 (formerly Article 177), of the Treaty establishing the legal entity that is now known as the European Union now provides -

• that the European Court of Justice shall have jurisdiction to
    give preliminary rulings concerning -

(a) the interpretation of the Treaty;

(b) the validity and interpretation of acts (entered into) by the
    institutions of the Community and/or by the European Bank;

© the interpretation of the statutes of bodies established by an
    act of the Council, where those statutes so provide.

• Where such a question is raised before any court or tribunal
    of a Member State, that court or tribunal may, if it considers
    that a decision on the question is necessary to enable it to
    give judgment, request the Court of Justice to give a ruling
    thereon.

• Where any such question is raised in a case pending before
    a court or tribunal of a Member State against whose decis-
    ions there is no judicial remedy under national law, that court
    or tribunal shall bring the matter before the Court of Justice.

Magna Carta of 1225, confirmed by the Statute of 1297.

"We will not pass upon him, nor [condemn him], but by lawful judgment of his peers, or by the Law of the Land."

I contend that the clear option as to method of trial is an option that belongs to me as my property, and that title to this property is confirmed by the Confirmation of Liberties given in Magna Carta-

"We have granted also, and given to all the Freemen of our Realm, for Us and our Heirs for ever, these Liberties underwritten, to have and to hold to them and their Heirs, of Us and our Heirs for ever"

I also contend that the substantive law relevant to this hearing is further declared by the provisions of the Declaration of Rights and further secured by the Bill of Rights subsequently enacted -

"That all grants and promises of fines and forfeitures of particular persons before conviction are illegal and void"

As such, I do not recognise the DVLA’s authority to issue penalties/fines nor have I had a trial within a competent criminal Court to find guilt under a section 31A offence of not procuring a vehicle licence. Should the DVLA insist on pursuing this unlawful course of action, then I request that you refer the matter to the European Court of Justice under article 234.

Hope that helps you out, it sorted out the case in my favour.

Danny

Well I got a letter back, pretty much saying "thanks for letting us know we cant charge you £80 for because you exceeded the deadline as it was in dispute. We have extended this period so you only have to pay £40"

so, ive slashed it in half but i've still gotta pay up - they're not taking my 'lost in the post' reason seriously despite me stating there was no requirement and the statistics on lost post.

Shall i just pay?

Hi,

New to the forum but not new to the DVLA

The answer to should you pay...

Well yes as the "lost in the post" will not work even if you have proof of recorded delivery this is not always accepted unless the DVLA have written down what was in your package accurately otherwise you have no proof that you sent your SORN/ Disposal Notiication to the DVLA only that something was sent.

The other option, if you wish to take a risk is don't pay.

The DVLA are no longer taking people to court over this offence instead are using debt collection services at the moment these are only taking on "clean cases" ie case where the accused has not written in, phoned or made any contact with the DVLA regarding the fine. This is not to say in the furture they will not start picking up these cases as they have 6 years to do so.

It's a risk and is it worth it over 40 quid, if it is don't pay, you won't be taken to court it'll be a big guy calling at your door!

Hope that helps

x

Sorry Jenna1 - but that is rubbish, ring up a couple of county courts and they have a massive list of DVLA cases, if you call the bulk processing centre, the last one was registered today.

If, as you say bailiffs are coming out, well they can f**k off as there is no court order and, as it says on the registration certificate: A 'fine' will be issued. Not a supplementary charge, as it states in the road traffic act. If the supplementary charge was the case, an invoice would come out to the person with a vehicle. Then a county court case. The government cannot send out bailiffs on a whim - if they could, we would all have blown up the houses of parliament and had a revolution.

Jenna1 you are mistaken

Dani

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, got a letter the other day. Basically says "we tried to get money from you but it's still outstanding"

What shall I do now, approach my MP?

To recap:

They have ignored my photocopy of the original

Ignored the fact I pointed out the postal system and DVLA have losses of mail

Pointed out there was no obligation to send by recorded delivery

Stated I had no chance to pay the reduced payment as the timescale was unrealistic

They are gunning for the £80 now and threaten court.

Note: They had my only copy of the application form (should have made a second copy - damn)

I either:

a) Pay £80, all in vein

b) Not pay - await for them to organise debt collectors

c) Explain the above to my MP - but will need help on what to say.