Burglary, are work tools covered?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter and son in law were burgled Saturday night, they have only lived in the house two weeks ( they had changed the locks ). My son in law unloads his work tools from his van each day after work. They took five power tools value £1600, when they contacted their insurance company today, they were told work tools are not included. This seems very unfair, it's the first claim they have ever made and been with the same company five years, and after all the tools are his property, how can they say they are not covered?

This is probably correct, however, the policy wording would need to be looked at to make a definitive answer.

Your son in law should have really had his own material damage / property cover under the business.

Has he spoke to his employers? There might be cover under the business policy?

With regards to it not being fair - work tools (hilti, snap on, etc) are far more expensive then black and decker, etc. and if the insurers were to cover these then the premiums would rise significantly.

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Yes, they should be under a business Policy as a specified item including cover away from the main premises. Generally such items are regarded as theft attractive and carry high premiums and policy terms regarding storage/security.

Thanks for your replies.

My son in law is a self employed carpenter, and has public liability insurance, and I know the tools are covered when they are in his van. He took them into the house as he did not want his van broken into.

They are all site tools so yes they are more expensive. I suppose the **** who did it will flog them on Ebay or some car boot sale. Its the second nail gun his had to replace, the last one was stolen from his van while working on site, hence the new insurance. That was a couple of weeks ago. Also they are only two weeks into living in the house they just bought plus five weeks from their first baby being born, so it could not have happened at a worse time for them financially.

He says he can not understand how someone could steel a man tools and his living, I said these **** bags would steel money from their own mothers purse.

Val very sorry to hear about the theft.

Are you sure your son-in-law has cover for tools whilst in his van? Most tradesmans' policies that include cover for tools specifically exclude losses from unattended vehicles/overnight cover. If he has definitely got cover for them in the van this would suggest he's got a very comprehensive 'trade all risks' section - this should cover them whilst stored in the home subject to the usual 'forcible & violent entry/exit' condition (i.e. there must be evidence to show that there has been a break in). In this case it would be worth looking at his tradesmans' policy again.

Hope this helps! :)

WOOLWICH -S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 03/03/07 :cool:

LBA sent for non-compliance with Data Protection Act 28/04/07 :mad:

ABBEY - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 03/03/07 8)

Thanks for that majorclanger, I will get him to check that out, he said he had them covered in the van and had they been stolen from there it would have been alright.

It was a break in, the police attended and tried to get finger prints. They had forced a window, needless to say we have spent the last two days, securing the place, fitting dusk to dawn lights, window locks etc.

It's a horrible experience isn't it - my sympathies with you all Val, especially as it's a stressful time with their new baby, new house ,etc. I hope you manage to get something sorted out.

Best wishes :)

WOOLWICH -S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 03/03/07 :cool:

LBA sent for non-compliance with Data Protection Act 28/04/07 :mad:

ABBEY - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 03/03/07 8)

Guest Gertie100

When the insurance was taken out was it specified that there would be high value goods on the property? (regardless of whether or not they are "work" or "business" tools)

Reason I ask is because my husbands trade is carpentry, however he is teacher. But when we took out the insurance we informed them that there was a large amount of tools in the workshop which are high value and this is noted seperately on the insurance.

Sympathies for situation obviously...sorry