• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

BOS charges !!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, I am new so excuse any mistakes.

I have just received a letter from B.O.S. charging me for going over my overdraft limit. However my O/D limit is £1350.00 on the day in question my balance was £1190 O/D with £730 of cheque and PDQ payment into my account pending. I had three cheques bounced on me for £11.16 - £110.00 and £56.98.

The Banks expanation for this was that " by the end of the day your balance would be OVER your limit". They have subsequently hit me with three £30.00 charges and a £35.00 charge for the account being over my O/D limit had the cheques been cleared !!!! So i need to know WHY did they NOT pay the amounts that COULD have been paid and how can they charge me £105.00 !!??

They COULD have paid the £11.16 and the £56.98 or they could have paid the £110.00 and the £11.16.

What can I do as this MUST be wrong.

I hope I have not made my self look stupid but I could really do with some help

cheers

jemfingers.

I'm assuming that the balance you refer to were cleared funds? And are the figures exact? If they'd paid the £110 cheque that would have taken you to £50 away from your limit so if you aren't accurate that may be your answer.

Banks take the most expensive cheques/direct debits out first as that way they can bounce more items and make more money from the penalty fees they charge.

Anyway the best thing you can do now is to claim the charges back - have a good read through the FAQs and other posts in the forums.

Good luck!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Have to disagree with you there barracad!

The way the debiting system wors with BOS is that: Standing Order within HBOS lowest amount to highest amount --> Standing Order outwith HBOS lowest amount to highest amount --> Direct Debits lowest amount to highest amount

and the same for cheques lowest amount to highest amount i cant remember whether cheques are first or last though. But they are deffinetly honoured lowest to highest so that the most possible are paid.

With regards to Jemfingers if you were £1190 DR and the cheque for £730 hadnt cleared your cleared balance would have been £1920 DR therefore actually over your overdraft and thats why these charges were incurred. The other thing is how did you incurr a £35 charge? the only possible charges with HBOS are £28, £30 or £39?

The other thing is how did you incurr a £35 charge? the only possible charges with HBOS are £28, £30 or £39?

I have had £35 charges on my HBoS account, on the print out that the bank kindly provided they show up "unpaid item"

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

The way the debiting system wors with BOS is that: Standing Order within HBOS lowest amount to highest amount --> Standing Order outwith HBOS lowest amount to highest amount --> Direct Debits lowest amount to highest amount

Really?!! I thought all banks did it the same... perhaps I should open a parachute account with HBOS!! :)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 1 month later...

Hi

thanks for all your previous help. I sent my DPA to Halifax and they have replied within the 40 days, So I have sent my second letter to them claiming back my charges. However I have had no response from the BOS and their time is up on Monday. What do I do next?

many thanks and sorry for sounding so dumb.

Threads merged - please stick to one thread!

In your letter what did you say you'd do if they didn't respond within 14 days?

Do it!!

HI ,

I am really struggling to get any joy from BOS. I sent my £10.00 and request for all statements but have had no reply. Problem is I cant do anything until i receive all my statements. What should i do next? any ideas.

jemfingers

hi

sorry what does thread merged mean?

With regard to my situation so far: I have sent my letter requesting statements from the BOS but I have had no reply from them, it has now been 40 days. Without all my stements I can not proceed as I can not request my charges can i ?

So could anyone help me out here, with the luck I have had over the last three years I will probably be the first person here to LOSE!!

Also does anyone have any advice on claiming back " chargebacks" from credit card companies. ??

thanks all.

chris

I have merged your threads together into one thread because you shouldn't keep starting new threads because it can get confusing.

So you haven't had a response to your DPA request yet?

In an earlier post you said.

I have sent my second letter to them claiming back my charges

Which is it? I'm confused.

hi there,

Sorry for the confusion. I have sent my second letter claiming back my charges to the Halifax.

My problem is with the BOS, they have not acknowledged my DPA letter and the 40 days is now up. I was wondering what my next course of action should be. Should I now start totalling up all my charges and send the claim for charges mad to my account or am i supposed to wait for the BOS to get back in touch with me?

Sorry I feel completely lost here. Might just forget it,

chris