Average gas consumption 3 bed detached?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4462 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I know this would depend greatly on size, but I'd be intrigued to hear from anyone that has a 3bed (or even 4 bed) detached as to their average units per month

Just had my BG bill and for one month they are quoting 180 units (this checks out on the meter)

I find this usage very high as it is a new build, quality house (local builder, recognised for its energy efficient builds with triple glazing, mega loft insulation and wall insulation, thermostat on all radiators, ultra modern boiler, etc)

There is only myself and the mrs in the house, hardly use the heating (2 hours AM, 3 hours night - same times for HW on thermostat)

All upstairs radiators on absolute lowest therm setting

The mind boggles!

Many thanks to anyone that can take the time to post their stats for a 3 or 4 bed detached (approx age of property would be handy)

:)

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

20th April to 19th May Weather now becoming warmer I would expect 6units per day from your Metric [correction]volume meter 30 days times 6 equals 180 units you now multiply this times 10.95 180 x10.95 = 1971 kilo watts used Now the readings for FEBRUARY could be 9.70x28 days=271.6 units now times it by 10.95 to change it to kilo watts=271.6x10.95=2974.02 kilo watts August daily units 1.1 x31days=34.1 total for August= 10.95 changing to kilo watts 34.1x 10.95=374 kilo watts BG ARE CORRECT AND YOUR USEAGE IS CAREFUL

Hi G,

thanks for that

Anyone else care to chuck a reading in?

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Between the 6th March and the 29th May, I used 73 cubic units in my house. Its a 3 bedroom detached, built 20 years ago, fully double glazed and reasonably well insulated. Npower have just adjusted my monthly payment down to £34 a month (down from £40).

NowTHAT is just the kind of example I'm talking about - mine seems ridiculously high

Thanks Rob

Anymore with anymore?

To Rob S 6th March to 29th May [84 days nearly 3 months] gives .869 units daily [no chance if meter is a metre cube one] It would seem with these figures yours is a foot cube meter If it is then this figure to be multiplied by 31 for kilo watts ie 73 times 31 equals 2263 kilo watts at say 2.5 pence a kilo watt £56.57 too low and so is 73 cubic units this is based on for [84days] nearly three months still winter weather. now 2.46 is conversion of .869 to metric 2.46 metre cub volume or .869 ft cub volume is too low an average daily figure to heat 3/4 bedroomed house as ncf 355 found out even with warmer weather this month 73 units would seem hot water use only [[73 cubic units]] needs checking out it does not tally with n powers £34 a month new figure or from the £40 which is good.

George, Npowers gas rates will go down next month so they have probably factored that into the new repayment. Their figure of £34 was based on their estimated reading which came in at 89 cubic metres over a shorter period (6th March - 24th May). My meter reading was taken on the 29th and showed the consumption of 73 cubic metres.

To Rob S You are a winner regarding useage costs but most would find the gas consumption too low for winter heating consumption and many would not get away with having only to pay [£34] a month for the next twelve months without an amount owing come year end. Anyhow this is good for you and I hope it works out. It's just such a low figure as the reading started from March. [Now] .869 cubiic cannot be for meter cube as I indicated above but would apply to a foot cube meter as indicated by N power's [£34] a month and then the .869 units above would be multiplied by 31 to give Kilo watts and [not] 10.95 if it was a cubic metre volume meter. You'd be on a £10 a month figure with .869 useage daily .

George,

I am fortunate with the bills. I have lived in this house for just over a year now, so we have been able to assess our usage and bills effectively. Npower started us off at £40 a month, but in light of the first years billing they reduced it to £34. We did actually get a refund on our payments during winter because we had built up a big surplus. I know most peoples gas and electric bills come out at about £1000 a year so with ours being £650 we are very fortunate. I guess its one advantage of being a fat b'stard as I don't need it on as much!!:D

Couldn't tell you off hand how many units I am using (bills at home but could provide details) gas is £122 per month and elec is £59 per month !!!!!!

3 bed detached Victorian.

I have queried it time and time again BG say its correct and thats avergae for my house. I will persue though ............... especially as when i moved in the house it had prepayment meters and the guy i bought the house off offred to show me how to fiddle the meter !!!!!

I had the meters changed and told BG about this - still not intersted !!

British Gas? That would explain your bills, as they are one of the most expensive suppliers out there. Get on to Uswitch or Moneysupermarket.com and start comparing your costs with other companies.

Live in 1 bed flat, out at work 5 days a week and paying £55 per month for gas alone. Considering i only have heating on for an hour in morning and 3 hrs max in evening it still seems excessive when electric on a prepayment meter is only £5 per week.

When i queried the fact that i not only didnt receive the 25% discount for switching to NPower, was told that it was def correct and should consider wearing warmer clothing!

Incidentally, my sis lives in 3 bed semi with 3 kids so heating on constantly and she only pays £35 pm for gas

WB,

that just cannot be right

Insist the meter is checked, but also check your supplier against others, as mentioned above via USwitch

Consider your daily gas units If only one unit used and your meter is a foot cube volume meter then kilo watts used is 1 times 31 equals 31 kilo watts If the meter is metre volume cubic metre multiply by 10.95. One unit times 10.95 =10.95 kilo watts used Check your daily useage and use your own figure not [one as above] multiply by 31 or 10.95. Do this for a week or a month then multiply by cost 2 pence per kilo watt or whatever yours is. You cannot gestimate. Do this for a year if you wish yours could be 20,000 kilo watts yearly + or minus 5,000 kilo watts and monthly cost £45 + or minus £5 Electric meter readings [as you are aware] are already in kilo watts and could be daily 12 kilo watt units + or minus 3 or whatever. and yearly kilo watts could be 4,000 kilo watt units + or minus 1.000 kilo watt units Monthly cost £40 + or minus £5 Unit electric cost could be 9.5 pence per kilo watt or less.

Interesting to read comments about British Gas (BG). Disgusting you were told to wear warmer clothing Whirlybird. I moved into my tiny 1 bed flatfrom 3 bed bungalow and found a BG prepaymenr meter. Have had financial problems due to illness etc and now have poor credit rating so decided to keep meter. Last winter I ws paying between £15 - £20 per week depending how long central heating was on. (Still cold!). Cost higher than when living in bungalow different supplier mind you. The cost has come down slightly and of course usage lower as it is warmer. BG sent statement of account showing that I was in credit by some £140 but I have heard it is really difficult to extract a refund. Would be grateful for advice about claiming refund and changing supplier if possible. I know I should phone BG but I have had such a difficult time with finances that I dread using a phone.

Cheers

Linjie ;-)

Your starting point is to phone them up. Until you take this step you don't know if they will be difficult and make you fight for your money or if they will refund you without a quibble.

Thanks you are right will phone tomorrow - it is time to stop being defeatist. Am also organising a credit rating report and depending on result will seek another supplier.

Linjie ;-)

Phoned them up apparently they don't owe me money. Seems that they estimated my consumption of gas and thought they would titilate me by saying they owed me money. Next step look at the actual meter reading I took when I moved in and work out what my consumption has actually been based on current meter reading.

Linjie ;-)

• 4 years later...

:?:my step daughters mother is currently paying around 60 per month on a prepayment metre. iam not sure what company she is with i know its not bg . she was told it would be cheaper but has found the costs rising greatly over the last few months.last week she was away and the house was empty the heating was set on a timer for the animals.but still in that week 12 was used from the metre.its a 2 bed small house with gas water and heating and gas cooker.she lives alone with one child.and dosent use the gas excessivly.but at 60quid a month this seems awfully steep for a single mother on benefits .please could anybody give a average price for gas on metre.for a similar sized house and family.

thank you.:wink: