• Tweets

• Thanks everyone for all your help, but unfortunately my case was dismissed. This is the 2nd time I've had this happen now so I doubt ill be taking on any parking firms in future sadly. The judge said I lost it on the grounds that the sign said I had 28 days to declare who the owner of the vehicle was, and said I should have complied with this.  My costs are Judgment for the claimant £133.33 Issue fee Hearing fee Solicitors costs - total £265 grand total £398.33 Do those costs look about right?
    • In that case I don't think you'd have any grounds for a claim against the receiver, short of anything actually criminal. The receiver was appointed by the lender so any claim you make should be aginst them. How much equity do you reckon there was when they took possession? Realistic value less outstanding balance (including arrears).  This messing around makes me wonder even more if the property was wildly over valued. Normally a lender would sell and not really care if they got the best price so long as they covered the balance plus their costs. 
    • Hey @lookinforinfo I'm not sure, I don't believe he told them he's the driver. He must have selected an option saying that he's appealing on behalf of the driver or something of the sort. In more news, however, these wannabe thugs are back at it again. Honestly, what a joke. In the letter they sent before this it said they had made "2 attempts" and in this letter they said "4 attempts", I wonder what happened to the "3rd attempt" lol.  WhatsApp Image 2024-04-18 at 14.06.07_44abc9c8.pdf
    • Hi all, I purchased a car in January from Big Motoring World Leeds. At the time of sale I was shown a tab on the salespersons computer marked 'service history' and I was able to take comfort knowing that the car had been serviced on 3 occasions as the date, mileage and company was there on screen. Being a 3 and a bit year old car that, in my mind, constituted full service history 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, collected the car a week later. Once home I settled down to through the book pack etc. Opened the service history booklet and it was completely blank. In addition there were no invoices detailing that any services had been done. I duly contacted BMW and asked them to supply me with proof of service history. They responded saying that on their 'vehicle documentation checklist' I had ticked and then signed to the fact that I had seen the service history and that I was happy with it. I dug out this checklist and what it actually states is 'seen service history online' which I had in the showroom. BMW seem to think that this satisfies their responsibility in providing service history. The reality is that I don't have any proof that the vehicle has ever been serviced! For my own peace of mind I ended up paying for a service that satisfied the manufacturers maintenance schedule to the tune of £330. I even complained to the finance company that the vehicle contravenes the Sale of Goods act 2015 as l, in effect, ot is not as described. Amazingly they weren't interested and instead I just got an email stating that it's not illegal to sell a vehicle without service history and that servicing costs were part and parcel of vehicle ownership. I've since complained to the ombudsman and am awaiting to see if they can help. I have no issue with the car but the treatment and customer service has been the worst I've ever experienced. I don't really know what to do next as I really do feel aggrieved that I've had to pay to service a car that should have already been serviced. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? 🙏
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Settlement offer - does this sound reasonable, or not?

PriorityOne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6164 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a car crash last week and the car is a total write-off (I am ok though :) ). The insurance assessor rang me this morning and said that due to the age of the vehicle, mileage, etc., they would settle for £500.

The car was a Ford Fiesta, N reg (1996 ?), mileage was 93,000.

He has given me time to think about it and left his 'phone number. A couple of friends have advised me not to accept the first offer.... Any ideas/advice ? I have never had to deal with anything like this before.:cool:

PS.... have just realised, my excess will probably have to be deducted from this amount... leaving me with only £300 !

Guest Gertie100

Just checked autotrader online and there are some N reg, similar mileage as your up for £250! However does appear to be exception rather than rule.

According to the others on sale this does look about right...although try for another £100 (I need more time to trawl through the site!), you have nothing to lose!

(Just had my car written off as well, and accepted settlement so know what you are going through!);)

Also, how much have you got left of the insurance. How many years no claims discount do you have?

It might be better off you withdrawing the claim to keep your no claims??

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Hi everyone and thank you so much for your replies.... :)

I must admit, I was expecting something in the region of £500... although there is certainly nothing for sale in my area for that price with a similar reg. and I need to replace the car fast because I have no other way of getting to work !! (I have next week off though).

I will try and up the offer tomorrow anyway.... am so cheesed off at the moment.... the courtesy car is being collected tomorrow as well. Everything seems to be happening all at once. :( Sorry to hear you are going through the same thing Gertie...

The pre-accident condition of the car wasn't fantastic... I had tried to repair some (non-structural) rust holes, but had also only just paid for a brand new exhaust 3 weeks earlier. :mad: .... so the timing was awful !

I have a Protected Maximum No Claims on the insurance... so the accident will have no effect on my premiums at renewal (September)... it says so in the policy, but I also 'phoned up today to check.... so one good thing, I suppose.

It was a Ford Fiesta Classic Quartz with 3 former keepers... don't know if this makes any difference ?

Sorry to disapoint you, but although you still have full no claims, your insurance will still go up as a result of a claim

It's a protected no claims though... and I have been assured that it won't. It also states this clearly in the Policy docs. If it wasn't protected, then I would agree with you....

The whole thing is still a nightmare though.... :rolleyes:

I have protected No claims, and I was hit in the rear by another driver, who is denying any responsibilty, even though I still have full no claims, my premiums have still gone up, I proved this by putting both cenarios into the online quote systems, full bonus and no claims/accidents and full bonus and one non fault claim, nearly £200 difference !!!

Guest Gertie100

I would get a copy of the receipt for the brand new exhaust over to the assessor and demand this is taken into account...I managed to get them up by £500 on my car because I had spent that amount changing a load of sensors only 4 days before the woman hit me because we had decided to keep the car for another year...how wrong we were...

With regard to your courtesey car surely you get to keep it until your cheque comes through? Or a certain point after that to enable you to purchase another car? Or am I just lucky with my courtesey car?

I am too peed' off at the moment to fight anyone over anything right now... so will take issue with the insurance premiums if/when it does go up at renewal. It states very clearfly in the Policy that it won't go up though.... :cool: .... so to me, it seems wrong to state that in the Policy (and on the 'phone) and then do something completely different upon renewal. This is also my very first accident and it was no-one's fault either. I can't worry about this now though... I will tackle it in September.

As for the assessor, he is waiting for me to 'phone back. I have already refused his offer and he is considering £700 (my offer). I haven't mentioned the new exhaust to him.... so I will do that when I speak to him next. Thanks Gertie.

I tried to keep the courtesy car until I had at least received a formal notification of write-off, but they were having none of it. :mad: I thought this may have been to pressure me into settling.... Once again, the Policy states that the car can only be kept for 3 days when the car's a write-off... but I took this to mean 3 days after the assessor had decided it was a write-off, not the people in the bodyshop of the garage.

To be honest, I am past caring... I am waiting for them to pick it up now... and then I'm going out with a friend... I have had enough.

Welocme to the insurance world!!

right - sorry but your Insurance will go up - I'll explain....

If your insurance premium for the last year was, say, £1000, and you had 60% No Claims Discount, you paid only £400 for the years premium.

OK. This year, because you have had a fault claim, you are classed as a higher risk driver, so your premium for next year will be say £1200. Because you have protected your No Claims Discount, you will get a 60% discount still, meaning next years premium will be £480, an increase of £80. If you didn't protect your No claims Discount, the discount would have gone down to something like 20%, meaning you would have to pay £960.

What they should have said is your premium will go up, but not as much as if you didn't protect your NCD. However, ring back to confirm they tape all their calls - you might have a chance getting a price freeze next year5, if it is on tape the Call centre advised no increase.

Also with regards to the exhaust, you might get something if it was a standard new one. If it was a performance exhaust, and you did not advise the Insurance Company, it is highly unlikely.

good Luck

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Guest Gertie100

I am right in thinking that the insurance policy does not clarify 3 days from when?

Ultimately the courtesey car is there for you until you are in a position to purchase another one. As I mentioned before I get to keep my courtesey car until 5 days after I receive my settlement cheque in order to give me time to purchase - check again!

Don't not fight - don't get mad, get even!

This is the precise wording in the Policy.... :cool:

If you have maximum no claim bonus protection, the following will apply :

1. We will not reduce your no claim bonus if a claim or claims are made under the policy.

2. We will not increase your premium as a result of a claim or claims under the policy.

3. We will not cancel your policy as a result of the number of claims made under the policy.

I haven't 'phoned the assessor back... I will do it after the Bank Holiday. It's been a long week, but a friend from work has offered her car to me until I can get another one (her husband also works with us). How kind is that.... ? :) I can only get into work by car... there is no other way.

My faith in human nature has been restored. Last week it was in tatters when people drove past me trying to climb out of an overturned car and didn't even stop to help me !!... :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the insurance finally settled for £600...after I refused their first offer. Not brilliant, but an extra £100 is not to be sniffed at.

HOWEVER.... I have been driving my friend's car this week and have now noticed a small chip in the windscreen. I am sure is wasn't there before..... anyone know how much this kind of thing costs to repair/fix ? :o

I'm beginning to think I'm cursed !....:mad: Either that, or I must have really pee'd someone off bigtime in a previous life !