Electric keeps tripping due to cracks - Buildings Ins company being troublesome

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6132 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My electrics kept tripping out (October), electrician, narrowed it down to one circuit (sockets) on ground floor living/dining room,(no sockets on said wall upstairs) reason unknown but there was signs of corrosion in 2 sockets ( there is a crack in the external wall) and the electrician agreed it could be rain, seeping through, and put this on his quote.

Got a quote from a builder re the crack in the wall, and he said that water could come from anywhere, not neccassarily there.

Quotes sent in and claim naturally rejected as non upkeep of maintenance (february)

after constant calls etc to see how claim was progressing.

I requested a loss adjuster as I felt they could not rely on the electricians belief that the water was coming through the crack, and was told they did not send out LA's, and the descion would stand, but if I could get proof, they might look into it.

How can I do that if the builder says without pulling the house apart its not always apparent?

Also 4 years ago, I had a leak in a pipe that serves the water tank in the loft, directly above said wall, only noticed when water dripping from bedroom central light. plumber in and paid for no claim made. could this be the problem? I don't know:mad:

I have extension leads all over the place Xmas was fun:rolleyes: (was also told that I should get that sorted if I felt it was a problem, thats what I thought I was doing via the insurance).

Any thoughts anyone?

I am trying to compose a letter of complaint as I haver never had it in writing that it had been declined, it was only through my calling them that I found out, do I need to get a builder in again to say IMHO you can not know where the water damage originated?

Have I got a leg to stand on?:eek: I am not a serial claimer, 2 claims in my life time, one water tank flooded the whole house, 2nd some plonker drove his van up the path and took off the awning over my front door (lloyds tsb paid up no problem).

I'm so fed up with this:(

LTSB court date 25/7/07

17/7/07 I WON I WON I WON!!!!:p :grin:

HSBC court date 11/9/07 (stayed)

CapOne lba 7/1/08-15/3/08 WON.

Citicards lba 14/1/08

Read Read and Read Some:razz: More

If I've been helpful in anyway please tip my scales:rolleyes:

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts.

Hi,

The Insurance Company are trying to tell you the onus is on the Policyholder to prove the loss.

What are you claiming for?

If you are claiming for the crack on the wall, the rule of thumb with Insurance companies is if the crack is internal and external, then there is a chance it could be subsidence. If it is just external (and especially if you have rendering) then it is probably wear and tear.

I don't hold up much hope of you getting the externals epaired.

However, regarding the electrics do you have Extended AD? If you do, then you should be able to say the rainwater has accidentally damage the electrics. As you have a report stating the cause of damage for the electrics tripping is an ingress of water then ring them up.

This would only be covered though if you had extended accidental damage.

Personally I feel its unlikely it is as a result of a leak 4 years ago.

Good Luck

• Haha 1

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Hi Craigwalton,

Thanks for responding, I claimed for both, as the electrcian felt if the crack was the entry point and was not repaired, it could create the problem again,

NO accidental damage cover:( YES to rendering.

Lady did say(on the phone) if the rain had got under tiles or such and that was entry point I would be covered, my point is no one knows where the water has come from.

I have had nothing in writing, until I got in touch with FOSwho said insurers should get in touch for details of the complaint (this was to do with increased premiums due to making a claim, which at that point I had'nt) and the letter said "contractors confirm electrics affected by water entering through crack in wall. Final letter"

I am composing a letter to them about why the increased premiums, total lack of communication from themselves, and me having to chase for months (could the non notification of denied claim be to do with the increased premiums ie: this has now been 6 months of increases payments they have received?:confused:

Me thinks I will request that they look into the electrics, mind the quote is £365 excess is £100 and the premium will go up (what again:rolleyes: ).

Craigwalton, thank you for making me mull this over, hopefully I can now get on with this letter to them:D

LTSB court date 25/7/07

Citicards lba 14/1/08

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, update, received a phone call saying re your letter their decision is final, and when I asked about all the other points I had made, it was passed to the underwriter.

received confirmation letter the next day, and yesterday received letter saying as there was no claim, my no claim bonus had been restored and they would be rescheduling my payments.

So I am back to square one, which is good, as now I have a better handle on making a claim (don't bother;) ) no payments for the next 5 months:D and when my bank charges go through, I can get the electrics and wall fixed, may even treat myself to a double socket:)

Persistence pays off:cool:

LTSB court date 25/7/07

Citicards lba 14/1/08

not back to square one, the broker has come back with a revised figure, which includes the reduction by the insurer, but from what I can work out, (paying dd) the credit company has left their charge on the original higher amount, and not reduced this accordingly.

My math is pants, how do I work out apr: 32.8% monthly rate:2.482 so I can see if the above is the case.

Help please:)

LTSB court date 25/7/07

Citicards lba 14/1/08

• dx100uk changed the title to Electric keeps tripping due to cracks - Buildings Ins company being troublesome