help wanted travel insurence claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend and her family have had arrived home recently from there holiday to Chicago where they had one of there suitcases stolen, someone just lifted it over there trolley whilst that where waiting for a taxi and ran off with it, her husband did give chase but then thought better of it knowing they could be carrying a Gun and felt was it worth it as they had plenty of holiday cover, They reported the incident to the police at the airport and stated what they could remember being in the case obviously they could not think of all the items as they had not had time to check out the other cases to see what was missing but they did know it was the case that contained there laptop, cameras money Due to taking all cash as splitting it between them and putting some in the case.

however when the made the claim to the insurance they forgot to include some things that where on the police report and remembered others that wene not, they did have receipts for all these items. The insures are now saying they will not cover those items not reported to the police, they have not mention items on the police report that my friend failed to claim for. can the insurance company do this, it they can except a mistake as been made to not claiming for a item that was on the report why can they not except a mistake had been made by claiming for a item not on the report. they did not get a copy of the report until after they return home and the insurance wanted to see it straight away so they had no time to call the police and discuss the other missing items. what are my friends options can she do anything to sort this out. I have advised her to write to the company stating that she will except the cheque they have offered her as partial repayment only not full and final settlement but do not know what else I can adviser her on, I did say I would ask for her on this site, to see if anyone can come up with any ideas

Thanks a lot guys

Pen

:x if i have been off any help to you please click my scales

cases won

28th July Single Claim for bank charges against LTSB, £6,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement

18th July Joint Claime against LTSB £7,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement.

Pen

Have they got Household Contents Insurance? Check the policy for items lost/damaged/stolen while outside the home.

There is normally a limit on Household claims (and conditions), but it is not unusual for Travel Insurers and Household Insurers to 'share' liability in settling a claim like this, where there are overlapping policies.

(The laptop might have needed separately advising to the insurers because of its value and as a high-risk item. Policies vary greatly.)

Post the names of the insurers/agents as well - see if anyone has personal experience of this situation with the companies concerned.

I am no expert on insurance - hopefully someone who is will find this thread!

H.T.H.

T.

"Weasel (n): any person or group that operates in that vast grey area between good ethical behaviour and the sort of activities that might send you to jail".

Hi Todge, the company is Salisbury's travel insurance, funny enough they have paid out for the laptop but not the camera, money and various other items, some of them where included on the police report and receipts where produced for the insurance company. I am not sure if they have house insurance but i a sure they would have, i should ask them, good idea maybe they can try that avenue.

Thanks

Pen

cases won

28th July Single Claim for bank charges against LTSB, £6,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement

Thanks mooreda, my thoughts excacly when she told me the sorry story. I posted here mamly I guess in case anyone else had had problems with insurence company's and what they done to resolve them. I have writtern a letter for her and hopfully she will post it today

pen

cases won

• 3 weeks later...

As a travel claims handler, I often see claims where stolen items are "added" to the claim at a later date and not included on police reports. This can be seen by insurers as suspicious and they may refuse to pay the claim as there has been insufficient evidence of the loss.

However, maybe your friend can provide alternative evidence such as purchase receipts, instruction manuals or bank statements (for the money)? Alternatively, your friend could agree to making a statement to a loss adjuster - perhaps a face to face discussion would persuade them that there was a genuine mistake and that the items being claimed for were lost?

What reason are they giving for not paying out the full claim? Are they quoting any part of the policy?

21/8/06 Intelligent Finance - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

1/9/06 Intelligent Finance Prelim Approach letter requesting refund of £319 charges

10/9/06 Intelligent Finance LBA sent

26/9/06 Moneyclaim Online filed - £385.88

12/10/06 Settlement of £415.88

Hi Girlynut.

My friend sent the insurers the exchange documents showing how much money the exchanged so had on them, also they sent all the instruction manuals receipts etc, they did however cough up £110.00 for the necklace but not the other items stating that she would have realised straight away if a camera was missing more then she would realise if the laptop was missing so since it was not on the police report they will not pay, she is now writing to the ombudsman regarding it.

thanks Pen

cases won

If your friend has a plausible reason for not reporting the item and the insurer has no hard evidence to prove she's being fraudulent, then they should pay out. FOS are likely to find in favour of your friend if the insurer is just basing their decision on suspicions with no evidence to suppport them. I hope she gets it sorted.

21/8/06 Intelligent Finance - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

1/9/06 Intelligent Finance Prelim Approach letter requesting refund of £319 charges

10/9/06 Intelligent Finance LBA sent

26/9/06 Moneyclaim Online filed - £385.88

12/10/06 Settlement of £415.88

Thanks Girly, she will be pleased to hee this.

cases won