Time limit on debt collection???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3623 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have just received a letter from Clarity Credit Management Solutions re: a very old loan I had with Egg dating back to 2001. I did not fully repay the loan, but I have NEVER been contacted by Egg with regard to the arrears. They have had my email address and my credit history has been updated with my addresses over this period of time.

Does anyone know if there are any time limits for how long a company can pursue an old debt (for example, if Egg has placed a CCJ on my credit history in 2001 it would have fallen off by now), and if they have a duty to show that they made reasonable efforts to contact you about the account before enlisting the services of the bully boys.

I wonder why I've been contacted now about it?? Strikes me as being a little odd??

Any help or enlightenment on this one greatly appreciated!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no longer welcome on CAG

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Thanks both for your responses. I will definitely not be acknowledging this debt in any way and will be sending off the standard letter to Clarity asap.

Thanks again.

• 8 months later...

Does this apply to all debts? I had a Barclaycard in the 90's, and have recently had letters referring to it having been sold to a recovery agency, despite not having banked or been contacted by Barclaycard since 1994.

One letter is quite threatening, saying 'This will not go away'. I think it's just scare tactics. I have had letters from 2 companies about the same thing. I intend to ignore them, is this right?

Cheers

Does this apply to all debts? I had a Barclaycard in the 90's, and have recently had letters referring to it having been sold to a recovery agency, despite not having banked or been contacted by Barclaycard since 1994.

One letter is quite threatening, saying 'This will not go away'. I think it's just scare tactics. I have had letters from 2 companies about the same thing. I intend to ignore them, is this right?

Cheers

Could this by any chance be Lowells aka Red Debt aka Hamptons Legal.

They have recently bought a shed load of UNENFORCABLE Barclaycard debts that they are trying to fool people into thinking they have a legal obligation to pay. Truth is THERE IS NO LEGAL OBLIGATION TO PAY A STATUTE BARRED DEBT

Cheers

Assuming you paid nothing for at least years, the above letter will suffice. You will probably then get a letter referring to a "moral" obligation.

Hi there, just thought it would be worth adding that I followed the advice given in this thread at the time of my original post, and managed to beat Clarity into submission. It took 3 letters (they just continued to send their standard letters out to me, even heading up the letters that they were 'disappointed I had not contacted them'), which I sent recorded delivery, using the same language that they use (lots of capitals, bold text and threats of police intervention if they sent a 'representative' to call at my house). Eventually I received a letter from their customer services director apologising for their failings and promising that I would never hear from them again. They said they had returned the debt to the originator, but so far I have not heard anything from them either.

The help available in this forum is amazing. Its helped me with the above, and it also helped me to claim over £3k of charges back from my bank.

Thanks a million.

It seems to be the same with most bullying DCAs. They threaten all sorts and continue sending threatomatic letters. However like most bullies thay are easily beaten when confronted with the law. Thet are so stupid that they do not realise that if they adopted a genuine attitude with folks instead of being ignorant and nasty on the phone or sending threatening letters they may well have more success. Now people feel so intimidated by them that they immediatly type their names into GOOGLE and end up here where they discover what and what not a DCA can actually do.

• 2 weeks later...
Right now, I am ignoring them, will see what happens.

I'm in the mood for a fight, so I'm secretly hoping they might try something................

Cheers, Midori

Other than bluff and send empty threats there is nothing they can do on a Statute Barred debt.:o

As at today's date, red have got to the stage of offering me a 50% deal--I should cocoa!:p

Interested to see their next move. They don't have a phone number, and I'm not going to be daft and give 'em one!:rolleyes:

I'm fascinated by this whole subject, and seeing how far they will go with it....;)

Cheers, midori

If you are sure that you have not acknowledged this debt for 14 years then ignore it, there is a letter in the templates - I'll get you the link.

EDIT

Letter M here

hi, is it possible for you to give me the link for this letter template as this has just happened to me, only i cant remember having the card it was dated 16 years ago according to barclaycard and got quite nasty with me for phoning them about it and told me to discuss it with lowell. i have not admitted anything in fact i denied having it to lowell. they asked for a copy of my signiture, what should i do?? i have changed my name by marriage twice since then. any help and advice would be great. please.

thanks wendy

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise surprise folks. I received a letter from Red Debt that 'after further examination it has now become apparent' that the account is 'subject to Section (5) of the Limitation Act 1980' and they have closed the account and they wont be sending further correspondence. A duplicate letter arrived in the same mail! Just for the record, I didnt contact them at all and ignored any letters. Many thanks to everyone for the information that let me do this.