• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Central debt Recovery Unit V ME !!!!! Help Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4901 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have a credit card with HSBC which I issued a CCA for on 13/2/07 and nothing back from them.

Today I have recieved a letter from Central Debt Recovery Unit saying that HSBC have passed the debt to them and they are givng me to the 12th to pay in full, they have also said they are going to send a doorstop representative.

Do I ignore this letter, do I say HSBC have acted illegally passing the debt while in dispute, do I CCA central debt, any help would be great thanks xx

Do you mean Central Debt Enforcement Agency, whose address is in Worthing?

If so, they are owned by Metropolitan Collection Services, which in turn is owned by HSBC.

Write to them explaining that the debt is in dispute, so that under the OFT guidelines no further collection activity should take place. Since the new FOS scheme is now in place, now would also be a good time to ask CDEA for a copy of their complaints procedure. Then, if they pursue you again, you can start a complaint.

Try this - amend to suit

Dear Sir/Madam

Your Ref;

I do not acknowledge any debt to you or your client.

Please be advised that I have contacted your client directly and requested further information under the legislation contained within s.78(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (S.77 (1) for fixed sum credit). Please note this was requested on 21 August 2006, and as I have received no response from your client this debt is now unenforceable.

To this end I would like you to note that I will not enter into any further communications with your company on this matter, unless and until my request is actioned.

I also wish to make it absolutely clear that personal callers will be viewed as trespassers, and action will be taken, including but not limited to, Police attendance

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

CDEA used to send out letters designed to look like Court forms. I would be interested to know if this is still the case.

Whilst you have the letter in front of you, can you say how CDEA's corporate status is shown? Is it a limited company (with registered office address and registration number)? Is it MCS t/a (trading as) CDEA, or 'a trading style of MCS'? Anything else that may be of use in determining how they represent themselves?

This info will be useful for a data protection issue I am looking at.

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding,

the letter is from Central Debt Recovery Unit, PO Box 4093, Worthing, BN11 2RD.

At the bottom in very small print it says Central Debt Recovery Unit is a trading style of Metropolitan Collection Services Limited, Registered Office 56 St James Road Edgbaston Birmingham B15 1JL Registered in Englang number 1475006.

Hope this helps, thanks for the help x

• 2 weeks later...

METROPOLITAN COLLECTION SERVICES LIMITED – WHO ARE THEY?

INTRODUCTION

It is noted that many contributors have dealings with the above Debt Collection Company regarding Consumer Debts with HSBC Bank plc, therefore it may assist readers in establishing exactly who they are dealing with by considering the information contained in this posting which has been obtained from public records, and other published material, and which covers such topics as:

Metropolitan Collection Services Limited is part of HSBC Bank plc - Information

Central Debt Enforcement Agency is a trading name of Metropolitan Collection Services Limited - Information

HSBC Bank plc has £27,455.00 in unsatisfied County Court Judgments lodged against it - Information

“Financial Services Authority Fines HSBC Bank plc £100,000.00” – Article

It is understood from public information that Metropolitan Collection Services Limited (which has 5 other trading names) is a wholly owned subsidiary of HSBC Asset Finance (UK) Limited that is a wholly owned subsidiary of FTG Limited that is a wholly owned subsidiary of HSBC Bank plc that is a wholly owned subsidiary of HSBC Holdings plc (the ultimate owner of Metropolitan Collection Services Limited).

It is also understood that the Company Secretary of Metropolitan Collection Services Limited is the same for HSBC Asset Finance (UK) Limited and FTG Limited.

It is further understood that DG Solicitors is the practising name of solicitors employed by the HSBC Group.

Whether contact is from HSBC Bank plc, the Collections Department thereof, Metropolitan Collection Services Limited (and under any of the other 5 trading names) or DG Solicitors, in effect it appears as these matters remain in-house and are dealt with by staff employed by the HSBC Group.

INFORMATION

“HOLDING COMPANIES OF Metropolitan Collection Services Limited

Company name: HSBC HOLDINGS PLC

Relationship: Ultimate

Level of Ownership: 01

Country of Registration: United Kingdom

Company Registration: 00617987

Company name: HSBC BANK PLC

Relationship: Wholly Owned

Level of Ownership: 02

Company Registration: 00014259

Company name: FTG LIMITED

Level of Ownership: 03

Company Registration: 01143819

Company name: HSBC ASSET FINANCE (UK) LIMITED

Level of Ownership: 04

Company Registration: 00229341

SHAREHOLDERS OF Metropolitan Collection Services Limited

Name: HSBC ASSET FINANCE (UK) LIMITED

Shares: 2 ORDINARY £1 SHARES

Company Registration: 00229341

LINK TO COMPANIES HOUSE SEARCH: WebCHeck - Problems

NOTE: For £1 per document copies of company records can be downloaded i.e. Articles of Association, Filed Accounts, Annual Returns, List of Members etc.

INFORMATION

Public information held at the Information Commissioner’s Office indicates that METROPOLITAN COLLECTION SERVICES LIMITED is a Registered Data Controller (Registration No. “Z5518969”) and also trades under the following names:

“CENTRAL DEBT ENFORCEMENT AGENCY

PAYMENT SERVICES BUREAU

MAITLAND COLLECTIONS

FIVE WAYS RECOVERY SERVICES

BANCROFTS”

LINK TO ICO SEARCH (enter: “Z5518960” in the Registration Number Box): http://www.esd.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/esd/DoSearch.asp

INFORMATION

The Registered Office address of:

METROPOLITAN COLLECTION SERVICES LIMITED

With Companies House (Registration No. 01475006) is:

56 St. James Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 1JL

As situated at the junction of St. James Road and Calthorpe Road (as shown with Royal Mail)

See Royal Mail Address / Post Code Finder http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm

See Google Earth Google Earth which shows a small white building in the grounds of HSBC 12 Calthorpe Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 1RA (as shown with Royal Mail)

The Register of Members Address is: 8 Canada Square, London, E14 5HQ

INFORMATION

The Address of:

With The Information Commissioner’s Office (Registration No. Z5518960) is

56 St. James Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 1QZ

As situated at the junction of Monument Road and Plough and Harrow Road (as shown with Royal Mail)

See Google Earth which shows a Royal Mail District Sorting Office.

INFORMATION

The address of:

HSBC Asset Finance

With Royal Mail is:

Forward Trust House, 12 Calthorpe Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 1QZ

See Google Earth which shows HSBC 12 Calthorpe Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 1RA

INFORMATION

The Registered Office Address of:

HSBC Asset Finance (UK) Limited

With Companies House (Registration No. 00229341) is:

8 Canada Square, London, E14 5HQ the same as with The Information Commissioner’s Office (Registration No. Z5518102).

However, other public information shows a Trading Address for HSBC Asset Finance (UK) Limited of: PO Box 362, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 1QZ

INFORMATION

The Address of:

DG SOLICITORS

With The Information Commissioner’s Office (Registration No. Z574180X) is:

2nd Floor, 12 Calthorpe Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 1QZ

As situated at the junction of Monument Road and Plough and Harrow Road

See Google Earth which shows a Royal Mail District Sorting Office.

INFORMATION

The Head Office Address of:

DG SOLICITORS

With The Law Society is:

HSBC 12 Calthorpe Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 1RA

INFORMATION

Public information as at 23/04/07 indicates that apparently “HSBC Bank plc” has £27,455.00 in unsatisfied County Court Judgments lodged against it.

COUNTY COURT JUDGMENT (CCJ) SEARCH FOR:

HSBC HOLDINGS PLC

There have been no CCJs lodged against this company in the last 72 months”

HSBC BANK PLC

Total Number of CCJs in last 72 months =19

Total Value of CCJs (GBP) in last 72 months = £34,567.00

Total Number of Unsatisfied CCJs in last 72 months = 14

Total Value of Unsatisfied CCJs (GBP) in last 72 months = £27,455.00

Total Number of Satisfied CCJs in last 72 months = 5

Total Value of Satisfied CCJs (GBP) in last 72 months = £7,121.00”

FTG LIMITED

Total Number of CCJs in last 72 months = 1

Total Value of CCJs (GBP) in last 72 months = £2,082.00

Total Number of Unsatisfied CCJs in last 72 months = 1”

HSBC ASSET FINANCE (UK) LIMITED

LINK TO REGISTRY TRUST LTD:

RTL Home

INFORMATION

FINANCIAL SERVICES AUTHORITY FINES “HSBC BANK PLC” £100,000.00

“On 14 December 2005, the FSA imposed a financial penalty of £100,000 on HSBC Bank plc ("HSBC") for failing to take reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy of transaction reports it made to the FSA from December 2002 until August 2005. In failing to ensure the accuracy of its transaction reports, HSBC breached SUP 15.61R of the FSA Rules.”

LINK TO FSO FINAL NOTICE: http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/final/hsbc_14dec05.pdf

I hope the above helps.

A Well Wisher.

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...

Hi ,

I'm also having trouble with the central debt recovery unit.

What happened was . . . . i got sick of bank charges with HSBC so set up a halifax account but like an idiot didnt officially close the HSBC account i just left it as it was and didnt think there'd be any problem with it.However i had forgotten to cancel a couple of minor (or so i thought) direct debits e.g £5 every month to my childs saving plan obviously there was nothing in the account so they couldnt get there money but as HSBC do they charged me for this and kept on charging me every time they attempted to take the money.God only knows how many times this has happened but the letter i recieved says i owe them £1802 which has left me gobsmacked to say the least.Prior to this letter i have recieved one other but at this point the total was still over a thousand and I panicked and hoped it was an admin error and prayed it would go away.No such luck.90% of the amount their demanding must be purely bank charges , i cant pay it.I cant believe HSBC have left it so long before contacting me.if they'd got in touch n said you owe a couple of hundred then fair enough its my own fault for forgetting the debits but 1800 is crazy.Does anyone know what i can do ? where i stand with this? do i have any option but to pay it? please help!!!!!

• 3 months later...

I have the same situation as Jax17 in that HSBC let me go overdrawn on an account that should have had no overdraft facility on it, and then just added heaps and heaps of charges so that a debt that started at £200 is now standing at just over £1400!

I have today drafted the SAR letter to HSBC to reclaim the charges. Is there a standard letter I can send to Central Debt Recovery Unit to tell them to back off as this is now in dispute?

Thanks for any help!

(This forum truly is superb!)

When you've had all the help you need, make sure you stick around to help others too!

Just think, if everyone left the site after they'd got their help, there might not be anyone left the next time YOU come back needing more assistance!!!!!!!

• 8 months later...

Dear all,

I have owe £650 HSBC and they passed it to Central Debt Recovery Unit. Today I have letter from Central Debt Recovery Unit "WE CONFIRM THAT WE WILL BE CALLING YOU " on 9/4/09 to door step.

Are they really come to door to collect debt. If they come then what should i tell them because there is no way I can pay them money in full.

Any reply would be great help!!!

Thanks

Tell them to get off your doorstep and go away. They have no right to be there or to hassle you in any way. If they don't go away or if they behave in any way that could be contrued as harassment, call the police.

Having said that, it's cheap to send out threatening letters. It's more expensive to actually send people out. I very much doubt that anyone will call.

• 1 year later...

Hi does anyone know if CDRU actually send bailiffs for unpaid debt? I around £1200 for a student overdraft when my HSBC account was unfairly closed at the end of 2009. I have been paying them £5 a week which they have accepted but are not happy about, I was wondering what would actually happen if I stopped paying it altogether? My details are registered to my mums address and I no longer live there so wouldnt want bailiffs turning up at her house. After HSBC arranged a payment plan with me over the phone, they sent me to metropolitan before the first payment was even due. This was in turn sent to DG solicitors and is now being dealt with by CDRU. I was wondering what would happen if I stopped paying it, how many of their ridiculous in house debt collectors would they send it to before finally sending bailiffs or actually selling the debt to a third party?

Has anyone ever had any experience of bailiffs being sent because of a HSBC debt?:?

Thanks

Oh and also, although my debt is being handled by CDRU, my last payment showed up on my bank statement as DG solicitors? Any idea why this is? I know they are basically all the same company in disguise but that seems like a bit of a sloppy error when it comes to convincing me they are a different debt collector.

• 2 months later...