Buildings Claim- substandard work? Please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm really worried that my mum (old, disabled & housebound) is going to be shortchanged over an insurance claim. She made a claim for subsidence which was pretty bad but is now much, much worse since building works began. The whole house is now affected- propped and leaning every which way, sinking at the back, cracked blockwork everywhere.

The loss adjusters are being very opaque about everything- causes, proposed works, timescales; you name it, they don't want to say- except that the house is going to be repaired not demolished, which looks to me like a close call now it's in such an awful state. Having seen another house not far away which had a similar claim (including another elderly housebound owner, same loss adjusters) and which has been "repaired" very poorly, eg. still leaning all over the place, I'm afraid that they are going to try to get my mum to accept a substandard job.

How do I progress with this? Should I get an independent opinion about the state of her house and the necessary work, and if so, from whom (surveyors, structural engineers, independent loss adjusters etc?).

How should I take this up with the insurers- I can't just go to them and say " I don't like the look of this"...?

I've no idea where to start or what can be done - please help