Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide


An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)




BAILIFFS - The Law and Your Rights

Written by John Kruse, one of the leading experts on Bailiff Law, this consumer friendly guide is essential reading for anyone who comes into contact with a bailiff.

The book is easy to understand and clearly explains the rights a bailiff has, and also what they cannot do when collecting debts and repossessing goods etc.

£13.95 + £2.00 (P&P)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Basic Account Holder liatoby Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    36

    Thumbs down met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    can anyone help?
    aparently i ran a red light, which i can not remember doing.
    i receveied a letter from metropolitan police saying this, i signed and sent it back, and today i receveived another letter back saying that i could contest this red light ticket in court or pay 60 and 3 points on my liecence????
    i dont know what to do, can anyone help as i genuienly cant remember jumping this red light!!!!!
    thanks



  2. #2
    Basic Account Holder Filthy Monkey Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    When did you receive the original NIP? Was it within 14 days of the alleged offence?


  3. #3
    Basic Account Holder liatoby Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    the first NIP was sent out on 8th march and it says that the alleged offence was on 28th febuary


  4. #4
    Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,030

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    You are now stuffed.

    To prove the offence in court there are two elements; evidence that an offence was committed and evidence as to who the driver was.

    They have evidence of an offence - the photograph.
    They have evidence of the identity of the driver - you have given them that.

    You can either pay the 60 and get 3 points or go to court. If you do the former, that will be the end of the matter. If you do the latter, there is a slight chance that they will cock up on the court paperwork and you will get away with it. If you do not, then the fine may increase and you will be required to pay costs.

    Oh, and don't run red lights - people get killed that way


  5. #5
    Basic Account Holder Gertie100 Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    South Wales
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    Where does it say there is a photograph? Or is that how it works? (asking cos I really don't know...)
    Surely if you have photographic evidence that you ran the red light you wouldn't dream of attempting to contest in court because you did it!...?
    If you can't remember doing it at the specific place and time, can you ask for the photograph along with accepting the fine and points?
    Just a thought!


  6. #6
    Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,030

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gertie100 View Post
    Where does it say there is a photograph? Or is that how it works? (asking cos I really don't know...)
    Surely if you have photographic evidence that you ran the red light you wouldn't dream of attempting to contest in court because you did it!...?
    If you can't remember doing it at the specific place and time, can you ask for the photograph along with accepting the fine and points?
    Just a thought!
    I am assuming that it was a camera offence, otherwise the OP would have been stopped at the time and verbally warned for prosecution.

    You are not entitled in law to see any of the evidence unless and until you plead not guilty. So you can't get the photograph " along with accepting the fine and points". You may be given a copy of the photograph if you write and ask for a copy "to help identify the driver", but as the OP has already identified himself as the driver that won't work in this case.


  7. #7
    Basic Account Holder Gertie100 Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    South Wales
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    I consider myself enlightened...:o


  8. #8
    Basic Account Holder liatoby Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    i will just pay the 60 + 3 points, as there is nothing i can do!
    oh, and i really dont remember running the red light, if i did i would have accepted the fine, but i thought i would get some advice before i paided this ticket and normally i have gotten great advice by the people on this website, but i guess this time i am buggered!!
    thanks



  9. #9
    Basic Account Holder Chizzy Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    I know that this is a different issue, but particularly in the instance of Speeding Tickets DO NOT ASK for the photographic evidence.

    Use the PACE letter instead. This relies on the fact that under British Law you must have been read your rights before being asked to Plead on a given offence. You provide on a seperate sheet the details of the driver, and attach it to the NIP whilst also telling them that they are not allowed to use the information you have provided in Court. You do nothing with the NIP. They may try and bully you, but just write back telling them once again that you have already dealt with the matter referring them to your letter dated XX-YY-ZZ.

    If you decide to plead Not Guilty then the prosecution must provide their evidence to the Defence 7 days before the Trial Date. If they don't, and you would be surprised at how may do not, then that evidence is inadmissable in Court. This includes the Photographs. If you ask for them and they send them you have stuffed that up right away.

    In the case of Red Light jumping most of the above probably holds true also.

    But as someone else has already said - DON'T JUMP RED LIGHTS! If you did and you don't remember then PAY MORE ATTENTION WHEN DRIVING please. It may be me coming through on Green!

    And BTW - if you feel bad about being "buggered" on this occasion just consider how someone's family would now be feeling had you killed a son/daughter/husband/wife by your actions.

    60 and 3 Points isn't much when weighed up against that, is it? Sounds more like the cost of a half-decent night out and a bit of inconvenience to me.


  10. #10
    Basic Account Holder liatoby Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    went to where i suposedly got red light ticket, and reliesed my partner was driving my car at the time, but he is not insured to drive my car, which makes my case even worse!!!


  11. #11
    Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,030

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by liatoby View Post
    went to where i suposedly got red light ticket, and reliesed my partner was driving my car at the time, but he is not insured to drive my car, which makes my case even worse!!!
    I'm sorry, running red lights is one thing, but being uninsured as well just beggars belief

    Perhaps there is a reason to bring back capital punishment


  12. #12
    Basic Account Holder Chizzy Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    As PatDavies said .... especially if he was driving with your knowledge or presence. How irresponsible can someone get?

    I would do a deal wth your boyfriend - you take the points and he pays your fine and increase in Insurance Premiums! Assuming you declare it (which you need to by the way otherwise your Insurance will be as good as Null & Void)

    Hopefully you will both then learn from this!


  13. #13
    Basic Account Holder Filthy Monkey Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by patdavies View Post
    I'm sorry, running red lights is one thing, but being uninsured as well just beggars belief

    Perhaps there is a reason to bring back capital punishment
    Absoultely. In fact, while we're at it, let's hang, draw and quarter them too as an example to other motorists...


  14. #14
    Basic Account Holder Filthy Monkey Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chizzy View Post
    As PatDavies said .... especially if he was driving with your knowledge or presence. How irresponsible can someone get?

    I would do a deal wth your boyfriend - you take the points and he pays your fine and increase in Insurance Premiums! Assuming you declare it (which you need to by the way otherwise your Insurance will be as good as Null & Void)

    Hopefully you will both then learn from this!
    Of course, Chizzy isn't suggesting that you do anything (else!) illegal here. What I'm fairly sure was meant by that statement was that if you're still unsure who was drving and, on the balance of probabilities, it looks likely that it could have been you, then you should just accept the points on your licence as punishment. It looks far more likely to me that you were driving, as your boyfriend isn't insured to drive your car and, therefore, almost certainly would not have been driving it. However, as your boyfriend no doubt loves you very much and would hate to see you short of cash due to the fine, perhaps he could help you out with payment...


  15. #15
    Basic Account Holder liatoby Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    thanks anyways to your sugestions, i know i have been an idiot, but we all make mistakes in life, just needed a bit of advice from people who know what they are talking about, nothing else!
    :cry:


  16. #16
    Basic Account Holder Filthy Monkey Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    Don't worry, some people just seem to forget that we're all human and make mistakes. Let's face it, if we didn't, what would we have to learn from...? Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.


  17. #17
    Basic Account Holder liatoby Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    thanks filthy Monkey, i hope i get it sorted too!!



  18. #18
    Basic Account Holder Chizzy Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    I agree we do all makes mistakes from time to time - but there is something different between, say, making a turn where we shouldn't have done due to poor signposting, being lost, unfamiliar territory or whatever and running a Red Light through either recklessness or lack of attention.

    Having said that I do hope that 1) you can get it sorted, and 2) that you do learn from it.

    I know this is going off at a tangent a little but if it was due to lack of attention rather that just pure recklessness can I urge you to get yourself on a scooter or motorcycle and get a licence for that. It's not that I want you out of a car but if you want to bring everything into sharper relief and get to understand just what a danger some people are in cars then there is no better training to be had. Besides that it makes you a better driver through the need for observation & awareness at all times.

    And before you say "I wouldn't ride a motorcycle, it's too dangerous", then just think about why it's considered dangerous. It's the blind and inconsiderate idiots in cars most of the time! In spite of that it's also more fun and quicker for getting around cities on - most of the time it's also Congestion Charge/Toll Free and usually offers Free Parking.

    Good luck.


  19. #19
    Banned PKea Informative PKea Informative PKea's Avatar

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    In the Shadows
    Posts
    1,306

    Angry Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chizzy View Post
    I agree we do all makes mistakes from time to time - but there is something different between, say, making a turn where we shouldn't have done due to poor signposting, being lost, unfamiliar territory or whatever and running a Red Light through either recklessness or lack of attention.

    Having said that I do hope that 1) you can get it sorted, and 2) that you do learn from it.

    I know this is going off at a tangent a little but if it was due to lack of attention rather that just pure recklessness can I urge you to get yourself on a scooter or motorcycle and get a licence for that. It's not that I want you out of a car but if you want to bring everything into sharper relief and get to understand just what a danger some people are in cars then there is no better training to be had. Besides that it makes you a better driver through the need for observation & awareness at all times.

    And before you say "I wouldn't ride a motorcycle, it's too dangerous", then just think about why it's considered dangerous. It's the blind and inconsiderate idiots in cars most of the time! In spite of that it's also more fun and quicker for getting around cities on - most of the time it's also Congestion Charge/Toll Free and usually offers Free Parking.

    Good luck.
    And of course all the motorcycle riders stay in lane, never overtake (or undertake) never speed, nevr cut across you.
    It swings both ways mate.
    Sorry to rant but why aren't theier TV adverts telling bikers to be carefull instead of balming all the car drivers..
    And dont get me started on 17yr olds on scooters
    Sorry Rant over....lol


  20. #20
    Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Rob S Informative Rob S Informative Rob S Informative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Welwyn Garden City
    Posts
    1,633

    Default Re: met police red light ticket help!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by PKea View Post
    And of course all the motorcycle riders stay in lane, never overtake (or undertake) never speed, nevr cut across you.
    It swings both ways mate.
    Sorry to rant but why aren't theier TV adverts telling bikers to be carefull instead of balming all the car drivers..
    And dont get me started on 17yr olds on scooters
    Sorry Rant over....lol
    There are ads on TV telling motorcyclists to be careful. I guess you just don't see them, just like you probably don't see motorcyclists when you are driving on the road



Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE