How long does a Direct Debit sit on an account

carl1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello my question relates to my Basic Bank account that does not have an overdraft facility. A direct debit was due on a monday but a previous DD had not come out and then appeared on the friday late so my account was overdrawn . I spotted this monday morning and paid £15 pound in cash at a branch at 12.10pm and asked if there would be any problems on my account with regarding the DD going out and was told no, checked the next day and told the DD had been bounced ??? is it correct i thought DD hung about till at least 2.30pm ??? any ideas from bank staff oh also got a late payment strike on my experian report nice ,what makes me laugh the DD was taken on the very next day by orange

Guest NATTIE

nope most banks say it needs to be paid in the previous working day, working days meaning monday to friday

I'd urge you to cancel the Direct Debit, if you're working so close to the wire, this will become a cash cow for the banks. It's often cheaper to pay by alternative means (when compared to the fines charged by the banks). DDs don't 'hang' they are processed as the beginning of the banking day and as they arrive, with credits only being applied at the close of business.