• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS to appear in court

dgm17
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6195 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon all,

This is a good bit of brinkmanship between myself and RBS... sequence as follows:

22/01/07 Write to RBS asking for £310 to be refunded within 14 days.

06/03/07 6 weeks, no response. Commence claim via small claims court.

09/03/07 RBS respond to letter offering to settle the £310.

15/03/07 I refuse, asking for the cost incurred in raising the summons + interest to be included, else I would see them in court.

21/03/07 Hear from the court that RBS intend to appear at the hearing.

Oops. Didn't expect that one. Perhaps I should have settled? Anyway, anyone actually got to the stage where the bank has shown up in court?

not come across a bank challenging, but you are in your rights to intrest and costs (postage, copying etc), but these MUST be reasonable.

The legal fees incurred by RBS far outway the effort on your part and these costs cannot be recovered in the smalls court.

Have faith and endeavour to the end.

Thanks for the advice & support :-) .

The cost incurred in raising the summons is the £39. That is all I would claim, plus interest at the judicial rate.

It seems I'll be spending most of this weekend trawling websites such as this very good one, and preparing a watertight case....

Hi dgm, I really don't see them defending for an extra £39 odd quid, they'll settle before you're due in court. When is the court date?

Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas

DAY 45: 27/10 - Data Non-Compliance sent off

DAY 67: 18/11 - N1 Deemed served

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70

59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80

179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs

254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

the cost to the lawyer preperaring the case cannot be levied against you in the smalls, win or lose. you recover the charges and costs,(reasonable), and the £39. court costs. They WILL settle, because they cannot justify the excessive and unfair charges against your account and to prove they are they must produce evidence which is the basis of your claim, and what all us cosumers wish to see (if only).

the cost to the lawyer preperaring the case cannot be levied against you in the smalls, win or lose. you recover the charges and costs,(reasonable), and the £39. court costs. They WILL settle, because they cannot justify the excessive and unfair charges against your account and to prove they are they must produce evidence which is the basis of your claim, and what all us cosumers wish to see (if only).

Well, that's the brinkmanship isn't it. It's interesting to see their tactics here... I closed my account in 2005 and transferred all of my banking elsewhere (including insurance policied underwritten by RBS) so I'm not in any danger of having my account closed as has happened in similar cases. I'm also quite willing to represent myself in court armed with the details of exactly which laws have been transgressed (e.g. Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999).

Of course I hope it doesn't come to that, but it's about time one of these cases did come to court and be argues before a judge (or in my case Sheriff).

i can assure you a sheriff, is waiting with glee for one of these cases to come before him, as us Scots know, towing/clamping of vehicles was deemed as theft, by the contracter and local authority. Salute the scottish law system (based on French law) and use the full facilities to your advantage. delay if needs must, request appearance of tellers and Managers of your branch etc etc. A sheriff will demand to know the justification for charges andif RBS fallshort in thier explanation, he will strike them down.

I think you will find it is more likely to be in full and final settlement.

It is likely to say both. The letter to myself states:

"... and as a gesture of goodwill and without admission of liability of error, in this instance we are prepared to offer you the amount of £310 paid direct to your account..."

"To accept this full and final offer..."

This seems to be a new, standard, letter which customers of RBS have been receiving recently. I know this becuase the letter goes on to state, "...then we may need to consider if we are prepared to provide you with your existing banking facilities." A nice veiled threat I thought, especially since I no longer hold an account with RBS...

dgm, you'll be getting a better (full) offer before the court date. I can smell it :)

Crash

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Update - 26th March - Preliminary hearing heard at 10am.

I attended court this morning, where a solicitor representing the bank was also present.

It was argued that whilst I had lodged a summons with the bank requesting £310 to be repaid, I had not provided a breakdown of the costs with the summons. (Whilst I had previously provided the bank with photocopies of the relevant statements when I initially wrote to them, but had not done so with the summons). I provided a copy of the breakdown of the charges at the hearing.

It was also argued that this case was brought too soon due to an administrative error (Sheriff Clerk's office) and more time was requested to prepare the case. Therefore a request was made to defer the hearing to a later date.

The hearing was re-scheduled for Thursday April 12th. The sheriff made it quite clear that he expected the matter to be dealt with before the new date, and he hoped that the further hearing would not be necessary.

The whole hearing took under 5 minutes.

Comments:

I was told by the representing solicitor that 'Brodies of Edinburgh' would contact me. A quick google reveals that Brodies are a commercial law practice based in Edinburgh. It may be that the Royal Bank have now adopted a new strategy by defending these cases.

Your thoughts as ever are appreciated...

DGM17

• 3 weeks later...
I dont think they have adopted a new strategy, i think due to the overwhelming number of cases, they have made an @rse of your claim, and are trying to buy time, i reckon you will receive your settlement around the 10th of April ;-)

A final update.

I sent copies of the bank statements, together with a revised breakdown of the charges to the solicitors in the middle of last week. On returning from an easter break on Tuesday, I received a letter dated 4th April offering me SOME of the amount I had initially claimed. I contacted the firm today (11th April) to ask whether in light of the revised breakdown whether I could expect to receive an amended offer.

Lo and behold, they offered me (via e-mail this morning) the full amount I claimed plus the costs of bringing the case against them. I have therefore instructed the court case to dismiss the case.

11th hour stuff. But it just goes to show if you stick at it long enough, they're bound to cave in. Perhaps the fact I had already appeared once in court to pursue my case made them think twice about bluffing this time. I was quite prepared to go all the way.

It just goes to show that if you stick at it, read up, stand firm, and don't blink, that at some point before the case comes before a judge or sheriff they will pay up.

To all those yet to commence a claim, good luck.

Blinkin' fabulous! Congrats and well done :)

Crash

outstanding behaviour

these banks are getting their knickers in a twist

did the sheriff actually hear any of the evidence as i would be very intrested to hear his view

Actually no - the defence solicitor was instructed to move for deferral on the grounds that 21 days had not elapsed since the service of the summons due to the scheduling error I mentioned above. In that situation the sheriff had no choice but to defer the hearing to another date suitable to both parties. That meant I didn't ever get to present my case to the court as the whole hearing lasted 4 minutes.

But he did make it clear that he fully expected RBS to settle the claim before the next hearing. They tried it on a bit by offering a partial settlement, but when I declined that offer, they went on to offer the full amount. Why they couldn't have done that in the first place I don't know, as the claim was under £350, and I'm sure the cost of sending a solicitor to the hearing and generally dealing with my case would have been more than that.

Reading threads like yours really helps boost ones confidence and will be encouragement to many. WELL DONE :)

05/03/07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) handed in at branch

Found missing statements at home !!!!

08/03/07 Prelim+ schedule posted rec del

22/03/07 :mad: No reply to prelim LBA posted rec del

05/04/07 :mad: 14 days and no reply to LBA, sent e-mail

27/04/07 :D Offered FULL SETTLEMENT £3375

03/05/07 Cash in bank account :D :D