credit agreement terms..what if you disagree with the t&C's

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6224 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i have just moved my car insurance from AA to Swinton. They have requested proof of claims (no problem with that), and also that i sign and return the consumer credit agreement, as i am paying by installments.

Now, having been once bitten by AA re late payment charges (which i did win back in the end quoting unfair terms and conditions in consumer credit agreements) i read through the T&C's before signing the agreement.

There at three that i particularly dislike , all relating to penalty charges

1. if any payment fails to be made on time we may charge interest at a daily rate on the amount unpaid to tha date which it is paid

2 On each occasion you fail to make a payment on time, you must pay a default charge of such reasonable sum as we shall give you notice of in writing from time to time and you must pay us all costs and expenses reasonably incurred by us in recovering sums you owe to us including without limitation in relation to debt recovery and legal action

3 You agree to pay all reasonable fees and charges incurred by us and our agents if we have to take legal proceedings against you if you break any of the terms of this agreement, or if you do not tell us when you change address. Our fees and charges will be added to your account

Now Swinton say sign it and send it back, but i dont agree with these terms and believe them to be unfair, and a licence to print money! . i notice on the agreement it states "this is a credit agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974, sign this only if you want to be legally bound by its terms and conditions.

so do i

a) not sign as i disagree with it

b) sign it and cross out the terms i disagree with and send a covering letter.

or c) sign it and if i do have any issues due to these specific terms , challenge them under the unfair terms and conditions in consumer contract regulations?

• 2 weeks later...

d) don't take out the insurance policy and go to another company who's T&Cs you DO agree with.

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

d) don't take out the insurance policy and go to another company who's T&Cs you DO agree with.

That was my thought on this too. :)

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

I know it was a bit sarcastic, it just made me laugh when i read it.

Just made me think of buying a car but hating the colour then complaining 2 months later that you want to return it because you don't like the colour of the car?!

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

I suspect that they all will have such T&Cs.

Ifd you don't agree by their terms, I'm afraid I doubt they will offer instalments.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

1. yes they all have similar terms and conditions

2. You have to make your first payment when you take out the policy, and you dont get the t&c's until after this, by which time you have comitted to the agreement by making the first payment!!!

unfair terms and conditions

the main point was the small print stating that you dont have to sign the terms and conditions if you dont wish to be legally bound by them...so if you dont sign does this mean they cant enforce them?

You could always pay the premium in full if you don't like the credit terms offered.

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

or you could striek out the terms you dont like, initial the amendments and send it back, making sure you keep a very good copy of course.

chance are it iwll go thorugh in which case they will have been deemed to have accepted your amendments.

On the other hand they pick it up and withdraw the offer of credit.

Could be a good wheeze if you can afford to pay the lot in one go.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA