Water Meter A Con

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Am beyond annoyed. Had water meter fitted 18 months ago. am aware of policy that you cant have it removed after 12 months of having one of the flaming things put in. anyway, i was assured by people at the water company, that as a single parent with one child, i could drastically reduce my water bill by having a meter installed.So i did. My payments (i pay monthly by direct debit) shot up after 12 months of having the thing (form £19 per month to £43). I have paid without failure. But cant really afford this. there is no way i would have had it fitted had I known this could happen. and no i dont fill a swimming pool every night or anything like that. Am fuming because i think i have been mis informed by the water people. I have been told by them that there is nothing i can do to get it teken out and there is no way of appeal. Surely this cant be right??? If anyone has had success in a similar situation, please let me know!!! Thanks

I used to work for a water company and can't remember one instance where they removed one after the 12 months so am afraid you might be stuck with it

however 43 quid a month does seem high for your circumstances, check that your meter readings are actual reads and not estimated for starters, if they are estimated then provide actual readings, if you have an outside meter under a manhole cover and cant access it they have to send someone out to you to read it

if the bill is correct check for the following

dripping taps, they waste ALOT of water so if you have any replace the washers, get a hippo bag for the loo (or put a house brick in there) vastly reduces the amount of water used to flush.

save your washing up and do one big batch instead of 2 or 3 a day and never leave the tap running when you brush teeth

all simple things but they do work, I used to be on a meter and my water bill went down to 12 quid a month when I did all those :) (had a 3 year old boy at the time with all the associated grubbyness, toilet mishaps to clean up after and extra clothes washing as they seem to be dirt magnets!)

pm me if you need any other help as I still have pals who work there and they might have other suggestions :)

claim v natwest WON!

all posts made by myself are without prejudice

I moved house a year ago and I received a letter from Three Valleys Water telling me they would be installing a meter. It turns out that the water companies can legally install a meter in a property once it has changed hands. In my case it has turned into a bonus. My water rates for 2007/7 would have been £348, but the bill for metered water useage and the usual standing charges will be about £150 for the year.

As was said above, I would check to see if they have actually been reading your meter. It would do you no harm to read it yourself either and make your own records. And as said above, simple changes to your water using habits can make a big difference.

Which water company is it by the way?

I was told by the citizens advice that if you had any dependant children and had a water meter then there is a process for having it removed ( but I don't know anything about the 12 month period) perhaps it's worth giving them a bell just to double check things

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

:( Hi

your charges sound excessive for your circumstances. My water bill has drastically been reduced.

My mother however, went onto water meter 1 year ago and had problems with her bill from day one. Long and drawn out, but reason was toilet in down stairs cloak room had a very small drip leak that was going under floorboards. Which would have gone undetected to this day if she had not been on meter.

You may have a tiny leak somewhere.

Regards

Dee

Personally I am flabbergasted that you pay that much with a water metre.

I have 4 kids and we constantly use Bath/Shower etc. AND the washing machine is on virtually 24 hours a day. Yet when I moved into my new property I insisted on getting a water metre. Thames Water sent me a leaflet insisting that with my famly size I would end up paying double. It has been shown that I actually pay HALF. My payments have gone from £30/pm to £15/pm.

Like I said I have 4 kids and we NEED a lot of water. Either you have the hose pipe on in the garden all day or you have a water leak. Get the water company over to check it out.

Innocenti my water bill is almost the same as yours I pay £41.00 a month with no meter on a monthly payment plan ( with no arrears ) my friend down the street has a water meter and hers is approximately £40.00 a month but they have to watch how many times they fill the kettle at that !I think it varies due to the supplier we have Severn Trent water - it's all totally unfair I think the whole country should pay a set price:) so that they can't make huge profits out of us

NatWest : £857.00 won! March/07

Natwest : Witholding my statements & adding defaults etc , S.A.R sent Jan/08

Natwest for my partner : £2,101.00 won! Feb/07

Studio Cards : Refund for admin charges £108 Won! Dec/07

Complaint made to FOS for P.P.I Jan/08

Nationwide: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent for statements Nov/07 ( waiting to see what happens in the OFT test case )

Littlewoods : defaulted on CCA request Feb/07

DCA's that crawled out from the woodwork and have crawled back : 28 so far!!

My favourite link on CAG:

Click here: Can't Find What You're Looking For? Here's A Complete A-z Index - The Consumer Forums

Innocenti my water bill is almost the same as yours I pay £41.00 a month with no meter on a monthly payment plan ( with no arrears ) my friend down the street has a water meter and hers is approximately £40.00 a month but they have to watch how many times they fill the kettle at that !I think it varies due to the supplier we have Severn Trent water - it's all totally unfair I think the whole country should pay a set price:) so that they can't make huge profits out of us

I like that idea! It said on the news last year that Water Rates were going to rise and that people could be paying over £400 for their water in 5 years time, I was :eek: at this because I am paying £490 a year NOW! And I live in the North West, all it does is rain here!

• 1 year later...