• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

help with spreadsheet and contractual rate?

Colin H
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6154 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,i am attempting to use the compound contractual interest spreadsheet on Mindzais page http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=2069,it is for a business account and i will also be doing 1 for my

personal account.

Does anybody know the contractual rate for the RBS.also which sheet do i send with the first letter?is it the charges with interest at this stage?or the s69 8?

also i have listed every charge,but set the ones i see as lawful as zero amount,is this ok as long as i mention this within the letter?

Thanks Col

:D

Colin,

When you say interest charged, which interest do you mean? The interest that has been debited from your account? It's just that in the first post you mention contractual rates, but then suggest in your second post (I think) that you are going Charges, debited interest then 8% if it goes to court. If you are going down the route of 8%, you can't claim contractual and vice versa.

Think you need to decide what you are going for first.

As for the lawful charges bit, that is fine ;)

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

The sheet you send also depends on what route you take....

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Thanks T4FF,I think that my brain was tired after hours and hours of reading:p. I am going to push for the contractual,and for the benefit of anybody else confused,this should be done at the prelim stage (correct me if i am wrong)

Would this be fine for my prelim letter?

The Custom Relations Manager

Royal Bank of Scotland

Free post

P.O. Box 1727

Edinburgh

EH129JN

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxx

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my business account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law and contrary to Statute.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated the account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have applied £7345 in levies and further, I also claim interest at a rate of 29.8% as set out in the attached list of charges. I believe this rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on your unauthorised rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account. Therefore the total amount owed as of today’s date is £14243.32

I require repayment of this money. If you do not return it to me in full within 14 days, I shall begin a claim against you for the full amount plus my costs, without further notice.

Yours faithfully,

Any input would be appreciated

Col

Prelim is fine. Couple of points then...

You need to send the statement that includes the total balance of £14243.32.

Secondly, you can't claim for the extra 8% although ensure you have the 8% spreadsheet at hand and possibly another one with the contractual rate @ that arranged borrowing rate (which I believe is around 16% but you will have to find that out). Should your claim end up in court you will have to provide the judge with a number of options and arguments for each one. Don't expect to receive 29% but if you give a couple of options, your are more likely to receive SOMETHING rather than nothing.

Be advised, do yourself a favour and do a lot of reading around CI. CI isn't something you simply choose to "go for" the path is a difficult one and if you look through the successes forums, there isn't THAT many that are coming through the other end fully successful and those that are are mods and v experienced people with the legal knowhow.

If you have any doubt about what you are doing I would advise you simply go for 8% (and by that I mean just go for charges and debited interest and add 8% if you end up in court).

If the banks offer you a full settlement (less CI) before going to court, you will be up against it filing a court claim against them for just the CI, so you should have a serious think about what you are doing prior to sending that letter.

Thank you for the advice mate,gonna read all day (again lol).

At arranged borrowing rate = £11439.42

At s69 8 = 9812.90

Almost £5k difference.Got to be worth a day or 2 research :D

Could a mod edit the title to Col vs RBS business account please ;)

There is a business account thread in General set up by Photoman. Worth heading over there I think.

mmm,its cards on the table time.

I was a director of a Ltd company,the other director was my brother.i left 1 and a half years ago for personal reasons,and we had just signed,on advice from the bank,to take a loan to cover a £10000 pound earlier loan and to pay off the overdraft of £8000 (which incidentally is all charges).We were also (stupidly) forced to sign a guarantee for the sum of £20000 between us.

My ex-partner has now folded the business (6 months ago).

I have recieved the statements,and the account is £1500 overdrawn.The RBoS credit management have also,in January sent a letter,asking me to honour the guarantee to the sum of £21500.I have rang them and asked for charges to be offset againt this debt and got a flat refusal,and a letter last week from a debt recovery firm,stating to make an offer immediately to the bank or they will be taking me to court.So i rang the Credit Management Team again stating that i thought the amount to be wrong,and saying that action should be suspended until i am satisfied,again this fell on deaf ears.

Also this week i received notice of liquidation of the limited company.

My concerns are that,if the money (once i win)was credited to the business account,would this be used to pay other creditors. (not a clue how the business was left) of would they offset against the debt to them (which is what i want obviously)

Also,i signed as guarantee on the £20000,and they want £21500:confused::shock:

And they havent even tried to contact the other partner:confused::confused::o:o

I really could do with getting this moving sharpish,so if anybody has any advice on which route to take,it will be much appreciated

Back to my studying:D

Col

Col,

Afraid this is likely to go over my head any.....minute.....nope it's already has. Think you will be in good hands in the bus acc thread as I would imagine a lot are in similar positions.

Can't really help with a great deal of your questions so I guess it's a lame "good luck" from me :D

However, I do have some points worth noting...

Be aware that no matter how you insist the money should be paid, if the related account is still open, it WILL be paid into this account. Bear this in mind whilst planning your course of action.

If your overdraft of £8k was solely made up of charges, there is the possibility of you claiming back the interest from the loan that relates directly to the overdraft. So if you took out a £20k loan, you could theoretically claim for 2/5s (8/20) of the interest charged to the loan back. Worth looking in to and there should be plenty of information around regarding this.

HTH

Thanks again mate,it was a bit of a ramble lol:D

I have now posted for more advice in the business thread,but,if anybody can make any sense of my ramble:p,please feel free to offer advice

Colin, we are running a Limited Company thread parallel to the Business claims thread you have been to. There are similarites but the Limited Company one is slightly different for all sorts of reasons...http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/73488-limited-company-claims.html. Good luck.

on advice from the bank,to take a loan to cover a £10000 pound earlier loan and to pay off the overdraft of £8000 (which incidentally is all charges). Do you have any correspondence from the bank that would back this up.

We were also (stupidly) forced to sign a guarantee for the sum of £20000 between us. did you both receive seperate legal advice on this and did the bank advice you that you need this advice.

I have recieved the statements,and the account is £1500 overdrawn.The RBoS credit management have also,in January sent a letter,asking me to honour the guarantee to the sum of £21500.If the account is £1500 O/D why are they looking for £21,500

I have rang them and asked for charges to be offset againt this debt and got a flat refusal,and a letter last week from a debt recovery firm,stating to make an offer immediately to the bank or they will be taking me to court.So i rang the Credit Management Team again stating that i thought the amount to be wrong,and saying that action should be suspended until i am satisfied,again this fell on deaf ears.

Also this week i received notice of liquidation of the limited company. Is this a members or creditors liquidation

My concerns are that,if the money (once i win)was credited to the business account,would this be used to pay other creditors. (not a clue how the business was left) of would they offset against the debt to them (which is what i want obviously) If the bank refunds you the monies they will make sure that it is offset against any amounts owed to them.

Col

It is very important that you write and ask them to give you an itemised statement of how the £xxxxx is made up, before you acknowledge anything.

It is very important that you write and ask them to give you an itemised statement of how the £xxxxx is made up, before you acknowledge anything.

Will do over the weekend nice one

viewpost.gif on advice from the bank,to take a loan to cover a £10000 pound earlier loan and to pay off the overdraft of £8000 (which incidentally is all charges). Do you have any correspondence from the bank that would back this up. No

We were also (stupidly) forced to sign a guarantee for the sum of £20000 between us. did you both receive seperate legal advice on this and did the bank advice you that you need this advice. No,and no,sort of pushed into it

I have recieved the statements,and the account is £1500 overdrawn.The RBoS credit management have also,in January sent a letter,asking me to honour the guarantee to the sum of £21500.If the account is £1500 O/D why are they looking for £21,500 Because we were asked to combine a £10000 loan already taken,and the overdraft (limit was 10000) of around £8500

I have rang them and asked for charges to be offset againt this debt and got a flat refusal,and a letter last week from a debt recovery firm,stating to make an offer immediately to the bank or they will be taking me to court.So i rang the Credit Management Team again stating that i thought the amount to be wrong,and saying that action should be suspended until i am satisfied,again this fell on deaf ears.

Also this week i received notice of liquidation of the limited company. Is this a members or creditors liquidation Not sure,how would i tell?Wasnt around at the end

My concerns are that,if the money (once i win)was credited to the business account,would this be used to pay other creditors. (not a clue how the business was left) of would they offset against the debt to them (which is what i want obviously) If the bank refunds you the monies they will make sure that it is offset against any amounts owed to them. I Really do hope so

Thanks mate

Col

Bank would normally only send in personal guarantee papers to your appointed solicitor, I beleive that if you did not get any legal advice as to your commitment in entering this agreement you could argue that you were cohersed. Did the bank write to you that they are looking to get a PG from you.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided not to go contractual route ,sending prelim letters for both business ( ltd company in the process of insolvency) and personal account first thing on the morning :)

Wish me luck :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i got a reply to one of my claims (business acct) asking for more time to review the matter,and,due to a heavy work load i havent yet sent an N1 form,

To my surprise i have received an offer of £6400, whereas my claim was for £7400 plus interest (interest not included at this stage). totalling over £9500

Any advice?

Still nothing on my personal account,gonna send an N1 form off soon