Ruthbridge Ltd

devlin76
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Can anyone help me? I've been threatened by Ruthbridge over a loan I took out with Welcome Finance in June 2002, for £1200. I completely forgot about the debt ( my own stupid fault ) and have moved house 3 times since then. Ruthbridge have now told me that I have to pay them £2756 or they will make me bankcrupt. I have checked my credit file and there is not a CCJ from them on there, but it does show that they have bought the debt in 2006 and that I have 'defaulted' on it.

I have spoken to Welcome Finance and they informed me that the debt was sent to 3/4 different collection companies, but that it has now been sold, so they can't help me any further.

Ruthbridge have given me until Wednesday 21st to get back to them 'or bancruptcy proceeding will be instigated'.

I'm not in a position to take out a loan to pay this money back and they won't accept installments ( I didn't offer - he told me that I must pay the full amount and that nothing else would be considered ).

Can anyone help or offer any advise on my situation, I don't want to lose my home!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rule one: don't have any dealings with them over the phone.

Write to them using the template letters on this site, saying you do not acknowledge any debt and requesting a copy of your agreement. This is your right under the Consumer Credit Act (CCA).

Chances are they won't be able to produce an agreement, or even if they do it'll be flawed. Post again when you get it and people will be able to advise.

If they can prove the debt exists, they'll have to accept payments even if you can only afford a token sum. They have no right to force you to pay the full amount if you can't do so.

Hope that helps, I'm sure others will offer advice too.

:)

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

Another thought: if they've told you they'll "make you bankrupt" I believe that could be taken as threatening behavour and in breach of their licence. Any thoughts, anybody?

• Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

certainly carry out a cca request.

are you in mortgaged accomodation? if not then it would be unlikely that they will carry out bankruptcy proceedings.

if they have your paperwork then you should send them your personal budget sheet and make a reasonable offer of payment. the oft guidance on debt collection states that it is an unfair practice for a collector to force you into paying unrealistic and high amounts. threatening behavour also breaches the administration of justice act 1970 (sec 40) - it's harrasment of debtors.

I am in mortgaged accomodation. I have only had my house for a year and can't stand the thought of losing it.

Where will I find the templates on this site, I'm new to this:|

Also, what do I do if they phone again? They were really nasty on the phone and I'm scared of what they will dfo if I just hang up on them?

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but this thing has really knocked me for six and I'm scared of losing my home.

Thanks for everyones continued help! :D

Don't panic, you're in good company here.

Template letters are here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

You'll need letter N - include the phrase "I do not acknowledge any debt".

If they phone again, be firm but polite and say that all further communications must be in writing, then hang up. They can't touch you for that. Have you got / can you get caller ID and/or Choose To Refuse? Worth every penny, they are.

When you write, be sure to include a paragraph re-stating that all further communications should be in writing. Send it recorded, keep proof of posting, let us know what they say.

Hi,

They have phoned again with even more abuse! The first time I hung up on them and they phoned 3 more times. I warned them that I had nothing to say to them over the phone and that they must put everything in writing. At this point they told me that they would be issuing a statutory demand and that I had no option to pay the full amount withing the next 18 days! Otherwise I would be declared bancrupt!

I didn't reply to his demand and promptly put the phone down, but this has shaken me again. Can they do this????

I have sent them the CCA letter as suggested in the earlier threads, today, but obviously if they have 12 days to reply to me and I only have 18 days before they make me bancrupt.

Any suggestions / help will be very much appreciated.

Hi,

They have phoned again with even more abuse! The first time I hung up on them and they phoned 3 more times. I warned them that I had nothing to say to them over the phone and that they must put everything in writing. At this point they told me that they would be issuing a statutory demand and that I had no option to pay the full amount withing the next 18 days! Otherwise I would be declared bancrupt!

I didn't reply to his demand and promptly put the phone down, but this has shaken me again. Can they do this????

I have sent them the CCA letter as suggested in the earlier threads, today, but obviously if they have 12 days to reply to me and I only have 18 days before they make me bancrupt.

Any suggestions / help will be very much appreciated.

They cant simply declare you bankrupt. They would have a lot of legal procedure to go through first of all. I stand to be corrected but I thought the amount had to be over 500 before thaty could apply to make you bankrupt. The Courts are the ones who will decide. DO NOT EVEN TALK TO THEM ON THE PHONE. Send them the harassment letter too

It's £750 before they can even apply for a Bankruptcy petition which I am sure they won't do anyway. Send the CCA request disputing the debt and they can't do anything while the debt is in dispute. Chances are they won't be able to produce an agreement anyway which makes the debt unenforceable. As said earlier send the harrassment letter as well.

Keep a note of when they phoned, too. It's well worth getting caller ID and, if they're not witholding their number, Choose to Refuse.

They're trying to grind you down even though the very fact you're asking these questions shows you're trying to do the right thing. Don't give in to them. :)

If you need any support, I've found this forum to be excellent.

Hi devlin

This isn't acceptable behaviour from them. don't worry, they either have to produce the CCA within 12 working days or they will have defaulted.

Speak to TS and OFT and let them know what's going on.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

If they do call again before they adhere to your harrassment letter...FIRST thing to say to them is.."Can you hang on a minute please, I wish to record this conversation"...leave a dramatic pause, then say "OK Carry On." ....

Just hate every DCA out there

If they do call again before they adhere to your harrassment letter...FIRST thing to say to them is.."Can you hang on a minute please, I wish to record this conversation"...leave a dramatic pause, then say "OK Carry On." ....
And before you have finished saying OK Carry you will hear a loud click as the highly trained operative at the other end:rolleyes: panics and hangs up:D

if you have a touch tone phone press one of the keys to add some sound effects.

always gets 'em.

I had same problems, please listen to advice offered to you . I sent a CCA request out and they have sent orginal agreement but three days after deadline. They threatened me with bankruptcy and other things but they will not get any more than I can pay and even less if we go to court. Be firm and brave and paythem no more than you can afford . All the best

• 2 weeks later...

I have had problems with this company for months after a loan they contacted me about 8 years after the original loan company stopped communicating to me.

I have had bully boy tactics all the way through and they are very threatening. I have just got off the phone to them telling them about the advice from this site.

I remained firm but polite but they weren't, the person quoted before hanging up "I've had enough now we are now going to send the bankruptcy papers out"

What shall I do now?

If it's been 8 years since you were last contacted, made a payment, or acknowledged the debt; then it would be Statute Barred.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had my first letter from Ruthbridge 8 months ago and despite me disputing the debt and asking for a copy of my CCAs they have now sent me another letter threatening me with bankruptcy. I too have a mortgage and as i also work in finance this puts my 9yr career in jeopardy. After following your advice I am sending one of the letter templates which refers to my right to receive a CCA and that i want all further comunication in writing. What do i do next though if they do not respond within the 12 day time scale? I feel better after reading all of your comments but am still very scared.

Help!

You have already sent them a CCA so they are in default and have committed a criminal offence. The ALLEGED debt is in dispute and they cannot do anything about it. You do not have to CCA them every time they come up with a new threat

Really? The letter i sent to them in August last yr was not as formal as the template i have seen today but i still disputed the debt (I genuinly havent a clue about it) and asked for proof that it is mine.

What are my next options then as I am scared having this hang over my head. Is there any way i can finish it once & for all then? The letters they send are really not nice - and they are extremeley rude over the phone.

I appreciate your advice x

NEVER EVER SPEAK TO THEM ON THE PHONE

CCA THEM AGAIN IF YOU WISH USING THE TEMPLATES ON HERE

If they had proof they would have sent to you. Call their bluff

They have no intention of making you bankrupt its a scare tactic

• 11 months later...

My wife received a letter today -Friday 11th April 2008- from Jason Evans of Ruthbridge Limited threatening her with action from a County Court Bailiff, or a Charging Order if she did not pay a bill of £2207.32 in full. She rang the number given and spoke to Roger Wilson, who told her that she had run up debts on an Argos Store Card between April and December 2003, and had registered an address in Sheffield. He said that she had to ring back on Monday 14th April and he was threatening, mentioning bankruptcy if she didn't pay in full.

We have never lived in Sheffield, so she is obviously a victim of identity theft. Luckily, I Googled for Ruthbridge on the internet (because the letter didn't quite look 'respectable'...it was a photocopy and the design didn't look professional) and came up with your site and all this very relevant advice. I'm sending Ruthbridge the letter from template N, mentioning that she doesn't acknowledge the debt and that she'll only accept further communication in writing, so I'll keep you informed of any progress. Thanks for being here!

I hope you have learned the GOLDEN RULE of CAG - NEVER SPEAK TO A DCA ON THE PHONE Rather than sending letter N send this instead

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully