Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Basic Account Holder devlin76 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    Cornwall

Default Ruthbridge Ltd

Hi,

Can anyone help me? I've been threatened by Ruthbridge over a loan I took out with Welcome Finance in June 2002, for 1200. I completely forgot about the debt ( my own stupid fault ) and have moved house 3 times since then. Ruthbridge have now told me that I have to pay them 2756 or they will make me bankcrupt. I have checked my credit file and there is not a CCJ from them on there, but it does show that they have bought the debt in 2006 and that I have 'defaulted' on it.
    I have spoken to Welcome Finance and they informed me that the debt was sent to 3/4 different collection companies, but that it has now been sold, so they can't help me any further.
    Ruthbridge have given me until Wednesday 21st to get back to them 'or bancruptcy proceeding will be instigated'.
    I'm not in a position to take out a loan to pay this money back and they won't accept installments ( I didn't offer - he told me that I must pay the full amount and that nothing else would be considered ).
    Can anyone help or offer any advise on my situation, I don't want to lose my home!

Similar Threads:

Basic Account Holder djdave Informative djdave Informative djdave Informative djdave Informative djdave's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    Kent

Default Re: Ruthbridge Ltd

Rule one: don't have any dealings with them over the phone.

Write to them using the templateicon letters on this site, saying you do not acknowledge any debt and requesting a copy of your agreement. This is your right under the consumer crediticon Act (CCA).

Chances are they won't be able to produce an agreement, or even if they do it'll be flawed. Post again when you get it and people will be able to advise.

If they can prove the debt exists, they'll have to accept payments even if you can only afford a token sum. They have no right to force you to pay the full amount if you can't do so.

Hope that helps, I'm sure others will offer advice too.

Basic Account Holder djdave Informative djdave Informative djdave Informative djdave Informative djdave's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    Kent

Another thought: if they've told you they'll "make you bankrupt" I believe that could be taken as threatening behavour and in breach of their licence. Any thoughts, anybody?

Site Team sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2006
    I am in
    it to win it
    Blog Entries

certainly carry out a CCA Requesticon.

are you in mortgaged accomodation? if not then it would be unlikely that they will carry out bankruptcy proceedings.

if they have your paperwork then you should send them your personal budget sheet and make a reasonable offer of payment. the oft guidance on debt collectionicon states that it is an Unfair practiceicon for a collector to force you into paying unrealistic and high amounts. threatening behavour also breaches the administration of justice act 1970 (sec 40) - it's harrasment of debtors.

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    Cornwall

I am in mortgaged accomodation. I have only had my house for a year and can't stand the thought of losing it.
    Where will I find the templatesicon on this site, I'm new to this
    Also, what do I do if they phone again? They were really nasty on the phone and I'm scared of what they will dfo if I just hang up on them?

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but this thing has really knocked me for six and I'm scared of losing my home.

Thanks for everyones continued help!

Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    Kent

Don't panic, you're in good company here.

templateicon letters are here:
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...templates.html

You'll need letter N - include the phrase "I do not acknowledge any debt".

If they phone again, be firm but polite and say that all further communications must be in writing, then hang up. They can't touch you for that. Have you got / can you get caller ID and/or Choose To Refuse? Worth every penny, they are.

When you write, be sure to include a paragraph re-stating that all further communications should be in writing. Send it recorded, keep proof of posting, let us know what they say.

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    Cornwall

Hi,

They have phoned again with even more abuse! The first time I hung up on them and they phoned 3 more times. I warned them that I had nothing to say to them over the phone and that they must put everything in writing. At this point they told me that they would be issuing a statutory demand and that I had no option to pay the full amount withing the next 18 days! Otherwise I would be declared bancrupt!

I didn't reply to his demand and promptly put the phone down, but this has shaken me again. Can they do this????

I have sent them the CCA letter as suggested in the earlier threads, today, but obviously if they have 12 days to reply to me and I only have 18 days before they make me bancrupt.

Any suggestions / help will be very much appreciated.

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Quote Originally Posted by devlin76 View Post
    Hi,

They have phoned again with even more abuse! The first time I hung up on them and they phoned 3 more times. I warned them that I had nothing to say to them over the phone and that they must put everything in writing. At this point they told me that they would be issuing a statutory demand and that I had no option to pay the full amount withing the next 18 days! Otherwise I would be declared bancrupt!

I didn't reply to his demand and promptly put the phone down, but this has shaken me again. Can they do this????

I have sent them the CCA letter as suggested in the earlier threads, today, but obviously if they have 12 days to reply to me and I only have 18 days before they make me bancrupt.

Any suggestions / help will be very much appreciated.
    They cant simply declare you bankrupt. They would have a lot of legal procedure to go through first of all. I stand to be corrected but I thought the amount had to be over 500 before thaty could apply to make you bankrupt. The Courts are the ones who will decide. DO NOT EVEN TALK TO THEM ON THE PHONE. Send them the harassment letter too

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder toddle2u Informative toddle2u Informative toddle2u Informative toddle2u Informative toddle2u Informative toddle2u's Avatar

Cagger since
    Sep 2006

It's 750 before they can even apply for a Bankruptcy petition which I am sure they won't do anyway. Send the CCA Requesticon disputing the debt and they can't do anything while the debt is in dispute. Chances are they won't be able to produce an agreement anyway which makes the debt unenforceable. As said earlier send the harrassment letter as well.

Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    Kent

Keep a note of when they phoned, too. It's well worth getting caller ID and, if they're not witholding their number, Choose to Refuse.

They're trying to grind you down even though the very fact you're asking these questions shows you're trying to do the right thing. Don't give in to them.

If you need any support, I've found this forum to be excellent.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    In SEN heaven

Hi devlin

This isn't acceptable behaviour from them. don't worry, they either have to produce the CCA within 12 working days or they will have defaulted.

Speak to TS and OFT and let them know what's going on.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    pmhcfc Highly informative pmhcfc Highly informative pmhcfc Highly informative pmhcfc Highly informative pmhcfc Highly informative pmhcfc Highly informative pmhcfc Highly informative pmhcfc's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    sane

If they do call again before they adhere to your harrassment letter...FIRST thing to say to them is.."Can you hang on a minute please, I wish to record this conversation"...leave a dramatic pause, then say "OK Carry On." ....

If the Banks maintain their charges are transparrent and fair, then why appeal against the decision which allows them to be investigated?

<<< Feel free to click my scales if I've helped
    Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative ODC Highly authoritative

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Quote Originally Posted by pmhcfc View Post
    If they do call again before they adhere to your harrassment letter...FIRST thing to say to them is.."Can you hang on a minute please, I wish to record this conversation"...leave a dramatic pause, then say "OK Carry On." ....
    And before you have finished saying OK Carry you will hear a loud click as the highly trained operative at the other end panics and hangs up

Site Team sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2006
    I am in
    it to win it
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pmhcfc View Post
    if you have a touch tone phone press one of the keys to add some sound effects.

always gets 'em.

Basic Account Holder Readybrek Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2006

I had same problems, please listen to advice offered to you . I sent a CCA Requesticon out and they have sent orginal agreement but three days after deadline. They threatened me with bankruptcy and other things but they will not get any more than I can pay and even less if we go to court. Be firm and brave and paythem no more than you can afford . All the best

Basic Account Holder mb2007 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

I have had problems with this company for months after a loan they contacted me about 8 years after the original loan company stopped communicating to me.

I have had bully boy tactics all the way through and they are very threatening. I have just got off the phone to them telling them about the advice from this site.

I remained firm but polite but they weren't, the person quoted before hanging up "I've had enough now we are now going to send the bankruptcy papers out"

What shall I do now?

Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    Kent

If it's been 8 years since you were last contacted, made a payment, or acknowledged the debt; then it would be statute barredicon.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet Authoritative tiglet's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    In SEN heaven

Djdave is write - send them the statute barredicon letter. if they continue after this, then contact OFT and TS.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder C Squared Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2007

Hi, I had my first letter from Ruthbridge 8 months ago and despite me disputing the debt and asking for a copy of my CCAs they have now sent me another letter threatening me with bankruptcy. I too have a mortgageicon and as i also work in finance this puts my 9yr career in jeopardy. After following your advice I am sending one of the letter templatesicon which refers to my right to receive a CCA and that i want all further comunication in writing. What do i do next though if they do not respond within the 12 day time scale? I feel better after reading all of your comments but am still very scared.
    Help!

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

You have already sent them a CCA so they are in default and have committed a criminal offence. The ALLEGED debt is in dispute and they cannot do anything about it. You do not have to CCA them every time they come up with a new threat

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE