legal and general - non disclosure - non payout

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6253 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to all members. You might want to take a deep breath before you read on, so he we go I'll do my very best to explain as clearly as I possibly can.

Last year my father passed away unexpectedly through natural causes. Natural Pneumonia was the cause. My father was a fit and healthy man for his age, visiting the gym at least twice a week, but due to a viral infection he picked up his body wasn't strong enough to beat the throws of natural pneumonia.

Some five years previous my father undertook a life assurance policy which was to cover the outstanding amount on his mortgage, and nothing more. There was no financial gain to be made by my father. The policy was necessary due to my father having to re-mortgage his home due to the divorce of his wife, my mother.

On the death of my father a claim was placed on behalf of myself and my sisters. Legal and General took several months to come to the decision, their decision being refusal to pay on the grounds of non disclosure.

As the policy was deamed to be in it's early term, Legal and General requested further information be supplied with reference to the claim. My late father's doctor provided with my consent completed a medical questionnaire, which made a suggestion of health problems. L & G's query being an in-eligable entry made by a previous doctor which turned out to be an irrelevant entry with no bearing on Legal and General's decision to refuse the claim. Because of this request for further medical records L & G came across some entries which were relevant to my fathers application and their point of non-disclosure.

My father's marriage break down caused him some distress and at that time he visited a previous doctor who made a note in my father's medical records stating he couldn't cope, quiet a natural reaction to a marriage breakdown i would say! My father would have also required help via prescription do ease his stress, but only for a period of a week, he required no consultation or follow up. I have his previous doctor at the time of his marriage breakdown and his last doctor both verifying that my father was fit, healthy and of a sound state of mind, and that it is only normal for anyone experiencing divorce to naturally feel low and down. The doctors are both happy to testify against L & G's decision in writing. I hold full medical records of my father.

question:have you at any time had, or been advised to have, any medical investigation or consultation, advice, operation or treatment for any of the following:

f)any form of nervous or mental disorder, or have you ever required tranquillisers or anti depressants?

My father obviously thought that he didn't feel his 1 week stint on prescription medicine was relevant and certainly his feeling low period was only kind of natural, my father never received any consultation, advice, operation or treatment of the above stated apart from the prescription he took. My father was a very very hard working man who never took time off work for illness, and working meant paying for his premiums too. My father never expected to pass away and he certainly never passed away due to mental disorder!??!?!

I am currently in communication with two past doctors who are willing to support me in everyway possible. I understand that i should exhaust my free options, ie; dispute the decision of L & G, then if the refuse again to go to the Financial Ombusdman, then if that fails, rely on a court of law?

A year later Im getting to the stage now where battling on my own is feeling like forever and I would love to hear from anyone who was or is in the same position as me, just so I can seek some support and advice. Should i use a solicitor now? should i seek letters of support from his past employers to state his clear state of mind? should i question L & G professionalism? Did L & G ask for a full medical when he undertook his policy application, bearing in mind he was mid forties? Any little bit of input would be wonderful and I look forward to your responses.

Thanks for reading, I really do appreciate it

Baboon

I think this is just the insurer doing their level best to avoid paying out. Like you, I think they are rampiung up the seriousness of your late father's condition in the hope that you'll accept it and go away.

You have nothing to lose by asking them to look again at the matter, and if they feel unable to pay out on the policy as sold, you require a 'letter of deadlock' to permit your claim to be escalated to the Financial Ombudsman who has jurisdiction in these matters (Financial Ombudsman Service).