Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

BAILIFFS - The Law and Your Rights

Written by John Kruse, one of the leading experts on Bailiff Law, this consumer friendly guide is essential reading for anyone who comes into contact with a bailiff.

The book is easy to understand and clearly explains the rights a bailiff has, and also what they cannot do when collecting debts and repossessing goods etc.

£13.95 + £2.00 (P&P)
+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder thereshope! Novitiate thereshope! Novitiate thereshope!'s Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Dec 2006

Default Do I Really Need To Take My Vw Golf To Be Serviced At A Vw Garage ???

Hi all

I've had my VW Golf TDI from new (just had 1 st MOT) and it is also due a service next month.

So far, all the servicing has been done by local franchised VW garage.
    I have no problem with the workmanship,that was fine. The price was pretty steep tho', if I recall correctly it was over 400 !

Do I really need to have VW garage to to do the service, or would a cheaper alternative garage do the job ok ?

What are the implications of not having a VW garage service ?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated !

Thanks Guys

Hope xx

Similar Threads:
    You need to read this if you have ever consolidated lending through your bank,

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...verdrafts.html

NatWest
    S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) LETTER SENT15/12/06 - STATEMENTS RCD 22/12/06
    PRE-LIM AND SOC SENT 11/01/07
    FULL CLAIM OF 4093.04 INCLUDING CONTRACTUAL INT
    JUST WAITING FOR STANDARD BOG OFF LETTER...
    LETTER FROM STUART HIGLEY TODAY 20TH JAN THANKING ME FOR MY LETTER AND ADVISING ME THAT THEY ARE CONSIDERING MY CLAIM.... YEAH, BET THEY ARE !!!
    LBA SENT 29/01/07

**** G.W.G PAYMENT OFFER RECEIVED TODAY FOR 2160. THAT WILL DO NICELY AS PART PAYMENT MR HIGLEY !!! ****

Member of the official Bill-K appreciation thread cos he's just ape !!
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Rob S Informative Rob S Informative Rob S Informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Welwyn Garden City

Default Re: Do I Really Need To Take My Vw Golf To Be Serviced At A Vw Garage ???

No, the best thing you could do is find a good independent garage who can service it according to the VW service schedule but they won't charge franchised VW service rates.

Basic Account Holder noclue Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Default Re: Do I Really Need To Take My Vw Golf To Be Serviced At A Vw Garage ???

They have to use VW approved parts though.

Basic Account Holder thereshope! Novitiate thereshope! Novitiate thereshope!'s Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006

Thanks guys !

How do I find a good independant and how do I ensure they use vw parts ?

Sorry for sounding so thick !

I live in wakefield west yorks so if anyone knows of a good independant garage can they please post details.

Hope xx

NatWest
    LETTER FROM STUART HIGLEY TODAY 20TH JAN THANKING ME FOR MY LETTER AND ADVISING ME THAT THEY ARE CONSIDERING MY CLAIM.... YEAH, BET THEY ARE !!!
    LBA SENT 29/01/07

**** G.W.G PAYMENT OFFER RECEIVED TODAY FOR 2160. THAT WILL DO NICELY AS PART PAYMENT MR HIGLEY !!! ****

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Welwyn Garden City

That would only apply if the car is still under warranty. Once the warranty has expired then it doesn't matter if genuine VW parts are used or not.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Welwyn Garden City

A good place to start would be a Google search on VW forums such as :-

TDIClub Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Welcome to VolksWagen Diesel

Diesel Car Forums - Index

They should be a good starting point and no doubt there are some good recommendations available there.

Cagger since
    Dec 2006

With regard to warranty ,i'm not 100% TBH.

Might be the 3rd and final service under warranty ?

Will I find this info in the hand book thingy ?

Hope xx

NatWest
    LBA SENT 29/01/07

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Dec 2006

Thanks for the links Rob S .

I'll have a good look.

Cheers

Hope xx

NatWest
    LBA SENT 29/01/07

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Quintrix Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Hi i am a VW Technician and no you dont need to be serviced at the dealership any garage will do must keep reciepts and also buy the parts from the dealership before you go to the indipendant garage as they will make money of you getting to parts them selfs. Any further questions on your car please mail me i will answer to best of my knowledge. Thanks

Basic Account Holder gbjadyy Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

if its just had its first MOT then it must be at least three years old so the car would be out of warranty anyway, but for anyone else wondering about there car (regardless of manufacturer) you can use a good independent but make sure you retain all invoices as these are in most cases required as proof of service if warranty claim needs to be made (do not rely soley on having the service book stamped) as in many cases the service book is only treated as a reflection on the record but the invoicing shows if all parts were change according to schedule, we deal with servicing on many fleet cars that a brand new but we are not a dealership and the warranties still stand if problems arise

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Welwyn Garden City

The EU removed the block exemption with regards to car servicing which means an independent could service the car from new. The only provisos are that it must be serviced as per the manufacturers schedule, so if the car needs to be hooked up to a manufacturers diagnostic system, the indy garage might not have that equipment, so it will need to be checked by the franchised dealer. It would also be advisable to use service items and parts supplied by the manufacturer during the warranty period. Servicing by an indy should not affect any warranty claims, if teh work has been done properly.

Cagger since
    Dec 2006

Thanks guys for all your replies I really appreciate it.

I will take your advice and buy the parts required myself.

Cheers

Hope xx

NatWest
    LBA SENT 29/01/07

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder yiddo Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

make sure you use the correct oil on these engines as they can fail early on if you dont-this is expensive oil-ibet if you check your 400 bill a big chunk is oil!!

Basic Account Holder gbjadyy Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

many VW's are now using longlife oil ( 0/30 ) as part of the servicing
    it is quite expensive, i have seen it as much as 62 for 5 lts if your struggling to find it at better money try your local vauxhall dealer who sell at 40 retail price.

there is a sensor fited to the sump of these cars that can detect the viscosity of the oil and uses this info to determine when the car should be serviced (puts the "service now" warning on the dashboard) these cars also need to be plugged into the correct equipment to rest the service warning using either the "longlife" schedule or "adaptation"settings so if you do want to use any indepent garage please make sure they also have this equipmet to reset your service warning otherwise they will be telling you to go to the dealer to get it reset (more cost for you)

Banned mistie Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

check which service you need as vw do 2 a basic and a advanced one.
    we got our golf tdi serviced at a vw garage as it was the first time for us, but next time its back to my local garage.
    vw also picked the car up for me (lazy)

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE