Legal&general home insurance over charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6239 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need help ripped by insurance for more than 10 years...

Since more than 10 years my mum(80+) has been overcharged by Legal& general insurance.

The premium of her home insurance was £1600/year and they agreed after I complained to the customer service to a premium of £200/per year.

Over 10 years they took advantage and didn't reflect the lower premiums they chargeD other clients "she didn't do any claims".

I asked the manager to refund her the unfair over charge which is about £10000 or make a serious offer, otherwise I'll seek legal advice and may take them to court.

He refused Bla.. Bla. and offered instead 2 years free insurance. I told him to send the insurance docs by post.

The letter posted by L&G, The offer was reduced to 1 year. As I mentioned Court during my previous telephone conversations he stated in the letter that i have six week/or/month to take this claim to court!

He admitted over the phone and in writing that L&G didn't act fairly.

When I recieved the insurance invoice I didn't take the 1 year free of charge and paid the £200 premium as if no offer has been made, I thought that it would be wiser if we want to take this case to court in the future and be refunded for 10 years.

What are my options here? is it the same procedure as banks charges?

What should my next step be? Is he bluffing when he states a time limit (6 weeks or months) for my possible action?

I will be happy to provide additional details.

Please help me.

I.Dowek

Ouch...sorry to hear that story.

I can understand how you feel about the price especially as it's your mum, so i am just going to raise some arguements.

How were the policies renewed? Every year your mother renewed the policy at the price she was offered, and that price was never challenged. Maybe her family could have helped her out back then as they are now.

Also the charges may be £200 now, but what were they 10 years ago? Could have been higher.

Just giving you a couple of arguements you may face. Take the 2 years free insurance off them, and who knows a claim might just happen.

Thanks for reply,

They just sent on a yearly basis her insurance renewal and she paid what was on the invoice ! as simple as that : no challenge at all.

The £200 mentioned is the new premium, instead of £1600, It was paid in order to be covered.

They offered over the phone 2 years and when the offer was recieved there 1 year not 2 !

On their website L&G have no deal similar to my mum's. I think that they have to invoice a service in a resonable way, they have a public responsabilty. Then if they overcharge her it is unlawful, I presume ?

that is my question, can we do something to get a refund + for the past 10 years?

Thanks again

I.Dowek

Sorry to hear you are having troubles but can you clear up as to how/why your mother has been overcharged as you havent explained the circumstances.

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

Thanks for asking,

How? she assumed that L&G was an honest institution, and they were giving her a good deal, she didn't question its current integrity because 20 years ago she had a relative working there and advised to her, things have changed since.

Why? just because they got away with it, she just paid the premium annually no questions asked.

Naivety and greed mixed with some old age. what can i say?

£1200pa! to insure her home where does she live in a mansion!

Your mums an elderly person sounds to me that there are grounds for reporting them to the regulator for mis-selling

Also I suggest you contact Financial Mail on Sunday its just the sort of story they would love to investigate after 1st confronting these sorts of companies

Thanks for asking,

How? she assumed that L&G was an honest institution, and they were giving her a good deal, she didn't question its current integrity because 20 years ago she had a relative working there and advised to her, things have changed since.

Why? just because they got away with it, she just paid the premium annually no questions asked.

Naivety and greed mixed with some old age. what can i say?

Sorry to play devils advocate here but she has been offered renewal 20 times and she has never bothered to check it even once?

Unless you request an insurer to amend cover or you revise circumstances then they will just offer renewal on the standard rate ad infinitum until you request otherwise.

You are still very scant with any useful details other than you believing she has been overcharged.

Wgat was the reason they could do it for £200 rather than £1600?

Cahoot - Rejection of offer sent 14/06/07

Barclaycard - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 22/03/07

This would be interesting as basic rating for standard home covers should not come anywhere near this, is this a standard or High Net Worth type Policy, also the premium has remained unaltered for 10 years ?? Certainly the insurance cycle has come and gone in this time and there must have been increases and decreases ??

Can you shed anymore light on the reason for the error ?

Thanks you all for help!

I don't have the details of previous years, I presume that over the years the Policy Premium has gone up? It is an asssumption.

It is not a high Net Worth Policy, the house went up in value there must be a link, as for the content middle class.

You ask me for useful details that could shed some light on this matter.

I am in the dark I need to investigate the Policy history.

XRCHRIS has got it right, she didn't bother to check!

You are asking for more details, there are no