Carpet disposal - Consequential Damage?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6251 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I stupidly dropped a hot iron on my lounge carpet which left a big burn. As I have accidental damage cover with my insurer (Liverpool Victoria) I made a claim for replacement. They have accepted liability and have (after some persuasion) allowed me to use an independent carpet supplier/fitter rather than their own preferred supplier. So far so good.

My problem is with what they (Liverpool Victoria) are prepared to cover. They will pay to take up the old carpet and fit the new carpet. They will not pay to replace the underlay. So far so good. However, they are refusing to pay for disposal of the old carpet which they are trying to say is "consequential damage". I understand that my policy explicitly excludes claims for consequential damage, but I do not accept that disposal of a carpet that they are paying to replace is "consequential" - I see it as very much part of the initial claim. After a long conversation with one of their stroppy claims advisors they have placed their position in writing - disposal is not covered.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting them to pay for the disposal? Is this really consequential damage? Any pointers would be well appreciated.

Cheers,

Ryderboy

Most companies now take this stance.

However, contact you local council. Most pick up, and dispose for free

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I consequential - what are they talking about - that's nonsense.

Your insurance company SHOULD pay for the disposal of the damaged carpet afterall they are to put you back into the position you were in before the accident happened. I think you will find that if you escalate your complaint to the Ombudsman, you will find in your favour.

What I would do is pay the Council to dispose of your carpet but get them to provide a receipt. Then complain, and if necessary, ultimately go to the Ombudsman.