Please help - Pension policy and death

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6272 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I would be grateful if anybody could help me, the circumstances are rather unique.

My father died of cancer in 2005 and my mother has been contacted by an indepentent financial advisor recently who managed a 'Group Life Assurance Scheme'.

My father worked for a small company for 2 years around 2001-2003. A 'Group Life Assurance Scheme' was setup shortly after he started and was active for about 1 1/2 years, he was then made redundant and months later the company became 'Dissolved' (I assume this is bankrupt?).

I assume my father forgot about this pension as he never mentioned it. Norwich Union (who the policy is with) have sent us a letter basically saying there is £4k and they want to send us the cheque...However...

We have found the origional documents for this policy and there is a 'Acceptance Terms' and it says...

Lump Sum: £8,000

Also explains in death of member 3 X Salary will be paid (printed as lump sum £78,000)

SO my question is, can my mother (next of kin) claim this death benafit?

Its confusing as the company he worked for is now dissolved.

The documents state...

DEATH BENAFIT

In the event of your death whilst a member of the plab, the full value of the accumulated fund will be paid to your dependants. In addition they will also receive 3x your normal annual salary.

Thank you ever so much for reading.

Thank You,

Sorry to hear the loss of your father.

I would suspect that the 3 times annual salary only applies if the member dies whilst in service, as to whether the £4k is reasonable or not I persoanlly do not know, but I wll see if I can find someonw who is more up on this subject than me.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

My father died in 2001 and just before Christmas my sister recevied a letter from the DWP enclosing a letter from some pension fund or other. My father apparently had a pension from donkeys years ago that he had forgotten about and which my mother had also forgotten about. My sister signed the forms and got them witnessed by a solicitor and sent them back and received a cheque for over £5,500 which included accrued interest from 2000 which was when my father reached 65. I would think Norwich Union have probably got the figures correct and the sum no doubt includes interest. I would agree with Gizmo the 3 x salary probably would only be paid out if your father had died whilst still employed by them. We have a similar clause in the pension fund I am a member of at work.