Do I have a claim?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6280 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

During the storms in January a roof blew off one of Biffa Waste's buildings and landed on my new caravan which was in storeage. My insurance company say that I am not covered for accidental damage but only fire and theft. I contacted Biffa with photographs of the totally destroyed caravan and they put me onto their loss adjusters Cinningham Lyndsey who inform me that I do not have a claim due to it being an act of god. What should I do now? Are they right? My caravan cost me £12000 less than a year ago. :(

Polly

Have you got legal expenses cover on any policy? If so get them to instruct Sols straightaway they are trying it on

HSBC 1st preliminary letter £3692 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

HSBC 1st Preliminary Letter £3280 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

Capital 1 SADR 11.10.006

Halifax Visa SADR 11.10.06

CITI SADR 12.10.06

HSBC Gold card SADR 23.10.06

Yes which area do you live in

HSBC 1st preliminary letter £3692 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

HSBC 1st Preliminary Letter £3280 10.10.06 LBA sent 24.10.06

Capital 1 SADR 11.10.006

Halifax Visa SADR 11.10.06

CITI SADR 12.10.06

HSBC Gold card SADR 23.10.06

I am not so sure that you do have a valid claim. It would really depend on the condition of the roof before the damage.

If the roof was relatively new, or in a good state of repair, then this can be classed as an "Act of God".

However, if the roof is shabby then you will have a valid claim. Take photos of the roof, and it might be best asking Cunningham Lindsey if they have records of the roof maintenance - They wont divulge them to you, but this will see how strong their stance is.

If it is a strong stance have you looked at the contract of your storage company?

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Contents cover in storage from a general insurer is really limited, its usually only things like theft by forced entry and fire that are covered so i'm not supprised your insurer has turned down the claim. I would have thought that Biffa would have some sort of third party liability cover to deal with this situation although as craig said, it would all hinge on whether you could prove they were negligent (i.e they knew the roof needed repairing it but did nothing) if not, then you might not be able to claim from them without going down the legal action route.

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

Thanks Craig Jayne and Angel for your advice. I think I will visit a solicitor and get them to fight Biffa for me.

The storeage ficility were the caravan is kept is a within a caravan sales shop and the owners of that have a claim against Biffa for the same freak windy day so they should settle mine also.