Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basic Account Holder Fishmilk Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Default British Gas homecare

Hi all, i have a british gas homecare account for the last 13 months and although i have had a minor repair to my heating system (the 2 way water valve) i have never had a service.
    I have checked in my contract and it says all new contracts taken out will have a service on services covered within 28 days of contract and subsequently every year. 13 months have now passed, no letter, no phone callsicon, what should i do as for 16 a month i feel like i have somewhat lost out.
    Any advice very much appreciated
    thanks again

Similar Threads:

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2006
    I am in
    Heaven

Default Re: British Gas homecare

Hi Fishmilk.

Give them a ring and query the situation. You may have been accidentally missed.

Regards, Rooster.

Banned happyolddog Informative happyolddog Informative happyolddog Informative happyolddog Informative happyolddog Informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    interworld

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmilk View Post
    Hi all, i have a british gas homecare account for the last 13 months and although i have had a minor repair to my heating system (the 2 way water valve) i have never had a service.
    I have checked in my contract and it says all new contracts taken out will have a service on services covered within 28 days of contract and subsequently every year. 13 months have now passed, no letter, no phone callsicon, what should i do as for 16 a month i feel like i have somewhat lost out.
    Any advice very much appreciated
    thanks again
    I used to work for BG and if you want some advice cancel the homecare contract. It is overpriced. Get a reputable service engineer to look after your system. BG are forever condemming perfectly good systems, so as to sell you another.

Basic Account Holder spencer1959 Novitiate spencer1959's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2006
    I am in
    London

Quote Originally Posted by happyolddog View Post
    I used to work for BG and if you want some advice cancel the homecare contract. It is overpriced. Get a reputable service engineer to look after your system. BG are forever condemming perfectly good systems, so as to sell you another.
    I agree with you the sevice is not worth the money - they prey on the worried - when/if you get them to service the system they are not there for 5 minutes - not good value for money

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

British gas are due to service my system for the very fist tim on 23rd march, i have a baxi back boiler and am worried what will happen if they condem it? If its condemmed is that the end do i have to have a new boiler??

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

HI Fishmilk i work for myself (gas engineer) and your baxi back boiler will not pose any probs, it may be old but you will be able to get all the parts required for it no problem whatsoever.
    BG homecare is very expensive and you do not always get the experienced engineer you think you are paying for due to a big influx of adult trainees, 6 months and they are sent out in their nice vans with laptops, servicing is a thing of the past with most of them they use a telegan flue analyser, probe put in boiler flue and out pops a reading, what ever happened to the cleaning of the exchanger and checking the working parts etc. They have a very high tendancy of saying systems are in need of renewal or upgrading this is because the engineers in question are on a bonus system and have targets to meet, selling of C/Monoxide alarms is a favourite one or your system is now classed as Not to Current Standards (NCS). The service you may find was carried out at the start when they service and insperct at the same time before going on the plan but it is now overdue and needs to done asap, they are famous for dragging this out though so good luck.

Basic Account Holder martin2006 Novitiate martin2006's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jul 2006
    I am in
    tergalactic space ranger

Ive been Corgi Regd for 19 years and dont know how BG have the cheek to call what they do during your annual visit, a service.

If i went to a customers house and put a probe in the flue and said its ok love 150.00 please, im sure few would pay me.

Good old strip down servicing, Especially with an Open flued BBu is ESSENTIAL.

Insist they do it. If heres there for less than an hour hes not done it right.

Martin

Basic Account Holder Karma1 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Right so if your 200 valve pump on your boiler brakes. Who will replace that for free ? ..... Homecare will. Sorry but replacing a 350 fusebox when it breaks on a 4.50 a month electrical service is NOT crap.

Basic Account Holder half ax I Novitiate half ax I's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2007

I took out HomeCare 6 months ago as house now about 7 years old and no previous services done. Took a while to get first inspection visit for Service. Shortly after the Control Unit needed replacing and was done swiftly and the engineer redid the service properly this time! A couple of weeks ago the expansion vessel needed replacing. I'm happy and quids in at the moment. It's an insurance deal at the end of the day and avoids unplanned big payouts when things don't work.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative Bigmac versus Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Right so if your 200 valve pump on your boiler brakes. Who will replace that for free ? ..... No one will you are paying an insurance for it, what i am saying is that the service they offer for what they ask is not value for money, there are plenty of competitors out there and unfortunately a lot of people think yes they are dearer but hey its BG we wont have any probs, yeah right, insurance is available elsewhere cheaper, to put it in comparison for you Karma1 ask them for a quote for new boiler or heating then come back to me that they are value for money, hey and thats another thing you can phone company (A) out for a quote and say they say 2500 then contact BG who quote 4750 and feel that although BG are dearer you feel as a big company you wont have any probs so decide to take the BG offer, guess what: BG a lot of times sub contract the work out which could go to YES YOU GUESSED IT company (A).
    Im not saying BG are bad, they have good engineers also, but for value for money im afraid there isnt any.

Site Team The Consumer Action Group MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2006
    I am in
    no doubt that Banks give a bad deal
    Blog Entries

Some excellent posts here,and good to see some people here who are in the front line and therefore qualified to add substance to the thread.

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Recieved a cheque off British Gas this morning for 30 'in recognition of the problems you have had experienced in your dealings with us'
    Lets hope they do actually turn up and service my boiler properly!!

Site Team The Consumer Action Group MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030 Highly authoritative MARTIN3030's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2006
    I am in
    no doubt that Banks give a bad deal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmilk View Post
    Recieved a cheque off British Gas this morning for 30 'in recognition of the problems you have had experienced in your dealings with us'
    Lets hope they do actually turn up and service my boiler properly!!

Well dont forget to make him a cup of tea with FRESHmilk .......

Site Team sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2006
    I am in
    it to win it
    Blog Entries

i was considering this homecare lark, thanks for the heads-up.

any of you engineers in the birmingham area? fancy some work?

hehe.

Site Team Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2007
    I am in
    or am I out?

For the premium of 16 per month you could get a brand new boiler every other year, and as it is covered during the first year by the manufacturer, that only leaves one year at risk. If it hasn't broken during the first year then it is highly unlikely that it will during it's second.

Basic Account Holder noclue Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Conniff View Post
    For the premium of 16 per month you could get a brand new boiler every other year, and as it is covered during the first year by the manufacturer, that only leaves one year at risk. If it hasn't broken during the first year then it is highly unlikely that it will during it's second.
    HOW?

Site Team Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2007
    I am in
    or am I out?

B&Q sells combi boilers for less than 500

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Conniff View Post
    B&Q sells combi boilers for less than 500
    That maybe...

But you still need to get it fitted.

I also think you get what you pay for!

Cagger since
    Mar 2007
    I am in
    or am I out?

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, but just making a point about the 'non value for money' of the BG service.

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

ahhh... ok

I see where you are comming from.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE