Derisory settlement offer

Tenner
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The father of a friend of mine has had his car written off by a drunken ( but insured ) driver. The facts :

A guy ran amok in a town, damaging numerous vehicles on the way. He was caught and faces charges.

My pal's dad ( a pensioner ) had his pride and joy smashed. He was covered Fully Comp., and was given a courtesy car whilst the damage was assessed.

Eventually, his insurers declared it was a 'write-off' and they made an Offer ( and asked for the courtesy car to be returned.)

They offered him £200

Similar cars in AutoTrader are £600

His LawAssist 24/7 Helpline ( the card you get for £10 when you take car insurance ) have suggested he gather evidence from AutoTrader, but they dont hold out much hope

He feels agrieved that he is suffering through no fault of his own

I have suggested ABI help desk

Does anybody have any suggestions, please, as to a course of action ? I know it's not a major claim, most of us would consider it a point of principle - but in this case it's a major issue for a pensioner

My thanks

Tell the insurance company that the offer is not acceptable, and back it up with the prices of similar vehicles in Autotrader, Exchange and Mart and local papers. If they are not prepared to raise their offer then go through the company complaints procedure. If they still stick by their guns it can be taken to the insurance ombudsman.

Agree.

Also send in the Service History of the vehicle to confirm it was a well looked after car

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

Absolutely agree - this is what insurance companies will always do in the first instance. He is fully entitled to reject the offer, suggesting what he would be prepared to accept, providing that the estimate of worth is borne out by the stated value that your father's friend quoted to the insurance company on his policy, and evidence that identical or similar values are selling for that price in the local area. Service history or bills for work carried out may support this, as will car price guides or loca buy and sell publications.

On the last occasion that I had a claim, the amount I eventually settled at was more than double what they first offered.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!