• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Flower v. Yorkshire Bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3500 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bit worrying to hear that you lost! Did you not appeal it? Just so I can brace myself for what may be in the pipeline - once judgment was entered for YB how reasonable were they on terms of repayment??

x

The Claimant was Robinson Way. Judgment was forthwith so their solicitor objected to my attempt for a time order and convinced the judge that my application for a time order should be considered at the claimant's application for the charging order.

BTW, I was speaking for a colleague in small claims. I would not attempt to challenge an agreement at an higher level as costs can quickly mount up unless it was an 100% winner on appeal.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you so much for the replies - I was beginning to think I was going to have to face this alone (with Ford!)

Advice needed today on what to do next! As they have finally satisfied my S78 request - should I now issue an application for leave to file an amended Defence based on S127?? I have only just received their documentation and therefore the majority of my Defence was based on S78.

I have also started to draft a letter to Sutcliffe's which will end in inviting them to withdraw the proceedings??

Dear Sirs

Re: Case No XXX

I refer to recent correspondence received from you in the above matter enclosing your completed Allocation Questionnaire and providing documentation which has been requested from yourselves and/or your client since June 2010.

It is noted that you have provided a reconstituted agreement and have enclosed copy terms and conditions – thereby finally fulfilling your obligations under S78.

At the same time I made a CCA request to your client, I also made a SAR request and within the information received from the SAR request, was a copy of my original application. It is therefore interesting to note that within these proceedings you have provided me with a reconstituted agreement as opposed to the original agreement which is clearly within your client’s possession. It is also interesting to note that the original agreement in my position, states a different account number to the one pleaded within these proceedings.

The original agreement contains no prescribed terms as required by S127 of the Consumer Credit Act. As you are more than aware, Lord Nicholls in Wilson and Others v. The Secretary of State for Trade and Industry (2003), recognised the importance and drastic consequences for lenders in this position but also stated that non compliance would lead automatically and inflexibility to a ban on the making of an enforcement order whatever the circumstances.

In relation to the reconstituted agreement – again this is lacking prescribed terms as there is no mention of the APR to be applied. Although it may be claimed that such terms were contained within the terms and conditions provided, I am sure you are also aware that the requirements are for the prescribed terms and conditions to be within the 4 corners of the signature document – not on accompanying paperwork.

So which is the best course of action - letter to Sutcliffes - application to amend...... or both??

Many thanks!!

Thank you so much for the replies - I was beginning to think I was going to have to face this alone (with Ford!)

Advice needed today on what to do next! As they have finally satisfied my S78 request - should I now issue an application for leave to file an amended Defence based on S127?? I have only just received their documentation and therefore the majority of my Defence was based on S78.

I have also started to draft a letter to Sutcliffe's which will end in inviting them to withdraw the proceedings??

Dear Sirs

Re: Case No XXX

I refer to recent correspondence received from you in the above matter enclosing your completed Allocation Questionnaire and providing documentation which has been requested from yourselves and/or your client since June 2010.

It is noted that you have provided a reconstituted agreement and have enclosed copy terms and conditions – thereby finally fulfilling your obligations under S78.

At the same time I made a CCA request to your client, I also made a SAR request and within the information received from the SAR request, was a copy of my original application. It is therefore interesting to note that within these proceedings you have provided me with a reconstituted agreement as opposed to the original agreement which is clearly within your client’s possession. It is also interesting to note that the original agreement in my position possession, states a different account number to the one pleaded within these proceedings.

The original agreement contains no prescribed terms as required by S127 of the Consumer Credit Act. As you are more than aware, Lord Nicholls in Wilson and Others v. The Secretary of State for Trade and Industry (2003), recognised the importance and drastic consequences for lenders in this position but also stated that non compliance would lead automatically and inflexibility to a ban on the making of an enforcement order whatever the circumstances.

In relation to the reconstituted agreement – again this is lacking prescribed terms as there is no mention of the APR to be applied. Although it may be claimed that such terms were contained within the terms and conditions provided, I am sure you are also aware that the requirements are for the prescribed terms and conditions to be within the 4 corners of the signature document – not on accompanying paperwork.

So which is the best course of action - letter to Sutcliffes - application to amend...... or both??

Many thanks!!

Sols first Flower and then subject to response application.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

flowers

if they have not sent accurate prescribed terms in their reconstruction, then they may not have strictly satisfied s78 (see Kotecha case)?

so, if defending, would still put them to proof re s78 & s127, and anything else that may be in issue/relevant?

would cpr 18 be of any use? for eg re different account number? what form are they relying on? etc

imo

Edited by Ford
typo

.........!

:)

as you say, you now have some other input, so you can relax a bit now!

Edited by Ford
typo

• 3 months later...

An update on how this is going.

Still plodding on - witness statements due to be filed next week. Letter received from Sutcliffes today which includes

"In response to your point raised in relation to interest rates, please note that all of the prescribed terms which much be included in the agreement under the Consumer Credit (Agreement) Regulaions 1983 are stated in the credit agreement already provided. The APR is not a prescribed term and therefore the debt is not unenforceable under S127 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

I acknowlegde that my client has taken some time to provide all the documentation you have requested and apologise for the issues this has caused. In order to bring the matter to a conclusion and save further time and possible costs to both parties my client would like to resolve the matter and have requested I discuss the possibility of agreeing a Tomlin Order with you."

Am I wrong in thinking that the interest rate is one of the prescibed terms.

Anyone have any thoughts on their letter???

Thanks.

Flower

What are the Prescribed Terms for an Unenforceable Credit Agreement?

For a credit agreement to be enforceable in a court of law it must contain a number of prescribed terms. If any contract is missing any of these prescribed terms then it can be deemed ‘unenforceable’ and the debt cannot legally be collected by the lender.

In section 127(3) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 it clearly states;

(3) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1) (a)(signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner).

Here is an overview of the requirements of section 127(3) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. For a credit agreement to be enforceable it must contain the following prescribed terms;

1) Amount of credit

There must be a term on the agreement which states the amount of credit which has been issued

2) Credit Limit

The agreement must include regarding a credit limit or if a credit limit is not required (i.e. in the case of a loan)

3) Repayments

The agreement must contain information on how the debtor is to make repayments. This could be in the form of any of the following points;

a. Amount of repayments to be made

b. Date the repayments are to be made

c. Timing of payments

d. Frequency of payments

e. Total number of repayments (For instance, when a loan is required)

f. The power of the creditor to vary any of the above mentioned

f. The manner in which any of the above is to be determined.

4) Rate of interest

There must be a term referring to the rate of interest to be applied to the credit agreement

Credit Cards;

If you have a credit card then sections 2, 3, and 4 apply to you.

Loans;

If you have a loan sections 1 and 2 apply.

What if my credit agreement doesn’t contain any or one of these points?

You credit agreement does not comply with the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and is invalid. If you credit agreement was to be taken to a court the judge would not be able to make an enforcement order to enable to debt to be collected by the lender.

When this happens the debt effectively sits in ‘limbo’ as it cannot be legally collected and you are not obliged to repay it. Most lenders don’t want loose ends or debts sat in ‘limbo’ as it takes up more of their resources maintaining dormant accounts so in the majority of cases the lender will write the debt off.

Section127(3) also provides that the court may not make an enforcement order unless a document containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor. This basically means a lender needs to be able to supply a ‘true copy’ signed copy of a credit agreement, along with signed terms and conditions in order for it to be enforceable in a court of law. If a lender cannot supply this then the debt can also be rendered unenforceable.

What are the terms of the Consent Order Flower?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

APR is NOT rate of interest.

Rate of interest is covered in Schedule 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983.

APR is within Schedule 1 of the same SI.

Only the prescribed terms in Schedule 6 attracts the thorny provisions of s 127(3).

So they are right in their letter. I would, if it was me, continue digging into the agreement for any thing else that may preclude the court from making an enforcement notice.

Edited by TweedleDee
typo

There's no mention of any interest rate at all.

First thought is "great!". You should have mentioned that to them in your letter and not APR.

I hope this is an original document you are using for reference and that you have it all such as the front and back of the agreement, etc., as you don't want them to argue in court that in the back it would have contained the prescribed terms if you only have the front.

Hi and thanks for replying.

My letter to them said

My Defence also contended that any agreement held by the Claimant fails to comply with S127 (3) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 in that the agreement fails to contain all the required prescribed terms. Both your “true copy” of the agreement received, and the original copy of the agreement fail to mention any mention of interest rates to be applied.

The documentation I have is scanned into this thread. There is the original agreement (blank overleaf). However, their "true" copy they sent through does have the back printed - again no terms; in fact the only payment instructions come under "direct debit conditions".

x

I don't want to "muddy" this thread any more than I already did... I just pointed out that they are correct in that the APR is not a prescribed term and here is the part of the letter that you mentioned APR as a prescribed term:

If you want to negotiate with them or fight them all the way is up to you, you just need the agreement as a whole so you can make an informed decision. Otherwise if you fight them, they **may** ambush you in court with the back of the agreement which does have the prescribed terms. No one can advise you to sign or not sign the TO, that is something for you to decide based on whether you can fight them on the facts infront of you.

Ps. You should hopefully have the post-execution copy of your agreement which would have come with your card as well. It would have contained, your credit limit, etc.

Edited by TweedleDee

• 2 years later...

In a nutshell,

the whole court process died a death a couple of years back.

Nothing further was heard and I presumed that it had either been stayed indefinitely....

Yesterday I received a letter from a new firm of solicitors, McClure Naismith, threatening to commence proceedings unless I made arrangements to pay....

Can they do this when there were already ongoing proceedings...

.. a second bite at the apple???

In a nutshell,

the whole court process died a death a couple of years back.

Nothing further was heard and I presumed that it had either been stayed indefinitely....

Yesterday I received a letter from a new firm of solicitors, McClure Naismith, threatening to commence proceedings unless I made arrangements to pay....

Can they do this when there were already ongoing proceedings...

.. a second bite at the apple???

They will need to make application to the court to have the stay lifted - it might make the court think about why they have left it stayed for so long. I will ask andyorch to look in and give some advice on this.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The claim is still live irrespective of being stayed......change of Solicitors often happens on stayed claims..wait and see if they do try to commence or whether its just a a last role of the dice to frighten them into making proposal...they would have to come up with a very good explanation to make application after 2 years.

Here you go, Flower :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D