Budget/Confused.com

oktopusinc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6270 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have used confused.com before which is a web bot that retrieves multiple online insurance quotes by entering one set of details. I used them to buy car insurance. Having moved in January 2006 I used confused.com again in October 2006 to get insurance with Budget Insurance for my wife, the main driver, and myself.

We were stopped by police in December because a nearside brake light bulb had blown and they informed us we had no insurance - we were surprised by this as the money had gone out of my account.

The following day I rang Budget and it transpired thay had our address wrong which I thought might have confused the police. Throughout the day it gradually transpired that they had on file half of our new address and half of our old address (so totally ficticious as we are in another county now!) and that not only had they recently cancelled our insurance but had charged me around £90.00 for the privelage.

They had sent four letters to the ficticious address before cancelling the insurance but had used standard post and had not bothered to try and telephone or email me (bearing in mind that this was an internet transaction) They even suggested that email and telephone were not secure methods of communication!

They also admitted that the four letters, which amounted to about £80.00 of the cancellation charge, were automated letters.

I decided to write a letter asking for the money back and pointing out that the address was not valid and that they seemed more keen to cancel our policy than to contact us to see why we had not responded to their letters. I quoted the relevant laws that we use for our bank claims in relation to charges being proportional to their actual cost. I also mentioned that I would give them 14 days to reply and that if they did not they would receive a letter before action giving them 14 days before I made a claim against them. Before I sent the letter I rang to check the exact amounts they had charged and was told that I had actually been charged too much (around £40.00) due to an error.

I received a letter recently and it was clear they had not read my letter properly as I had mentioned the error with the charges yet they still decided to say they were refunding me £40 as a gesture...I have now sent a letter before action, thanking them for the downpayment of £40 and asking them to pay me the rest within 14 days.

I beleive the address error has happened somewhere in the backend of either confused.com's website or budgets website as I definitely entered the correct address - why would I enter a non-existent one????

Will post when I receive a reply.

HSBC - Pre Lim sent 12-12-06, LBA sent 27-12-06, reissued 5-1-07. Part offer rejected 17-1-07, MCOL 19-1-07, AQ - 21-2-07. Settled

Nationwide - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Pre lim sent 5-1-07, LBA sent 19-1-07, MCOL 2-2-07, WON 22-2-07.

Capital One - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Pre lim sent 17-1-07, LBA sent. Settled

MBNA - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Offer rejected 19-1-07, Pre Lim 19-1-07, LBA sent, Setteled 21-2-07.

MBNA Loan PPI - Pre lim sent 19-2-10, Settled.

MBNA CC PPI - Pre lim sent 19-2-10, WON 2-7-10.

HSBC PPI - Pre lim sent 19-2-10, with Court

EGG PPI - Pre lim sent 19-2-10, FOS upheld 3-7-10