Parking ticket - Whilst loading in Loading bay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Few months back I was buying some weight lifting gear from Argos. There is a loading bay 50m away. I parked there and opened my boot ready, as it would have been impossible to carry the gear round town.

I got to Argos and realised (as soon as I walked in) that I had left my wallet in the car. I went back to the car (less than 1 minute after parking) to find a traffic warden taking photos etc.

I explained what I was doing, and that I was "loading" my car with heavy weight lifting equipment, and asked why I was getting a ticket?

She told me I had the "wrong type of vehicle" and that if it was an estate car I would have probably been ok.

I have since paid the ticket.

I was annoyed that the warden was obviously hiding out somewhere, and the lack of discression that they were willing to use (It was clearly proveable that I was collecting heavy weight lifting equipment). My only alternative would have been to park on double yellows outside of Argos whilst I nipped in.

Just to help get this off my chest, [edit]

The "wrong type of vehicle" quote is absolute crap.

There is nothing whatsoever in parking legislation that restricts loading/unloading exemptions to any class of vehicle.

There may be a natural presumption by TWs and PAs in favour of commercial vehicles, this is not backed up by law.

Many years ago the tax disc for all cars was issued as "Private". To avoid this sort of confusion almost all cars these days are taxed as "PLG" or Private/Light Goods. You are therefore taxed to carry Light Goods and are eligible to load your vehicle subject to normal loading restrictions.

• 2 months later...
Actually there is a difference in private and commercial vehicles, different rules apply when loading.

I got a ticket thrown out when I accidentally left wifes my blue disabled badge in car when loading car in a loading only area the warden booked me when I was loading a brand new electric wheelchair for my wife.

Warden would not even discuss this was just arrogant.

dpick:mad:

Actually there is a difference in private and commercial vehicles, different rules apply when loading.

Maybe in the approach of councils, but absolutely not in law.

Legally, there is no difference between the two; councils just tend to be a little more lenient with obviously commercial vehicles

Guest tlusnoc

Loading and unloading bays are intended for commercial vehicles only and not for shoppers. If everyone decided to park in these, then how are deliveries going to be made. And it is no good saying I will only be 5 minutes etc., for if a wagon turns up, where is the driver meant to park in the meantime?

Guest tlusnoc
Actually, they're intended for loading and unloading by any vehicle, commercial or otherwise. It is the activity being carried out that determines whether the vehicle may be parked there, not the type of vehicle.

That is totally wrong, they are for the delivery and collection by commercial vehicles (that can include a car) and are not intended for shoppers.

tlusnoc, please post the regulation that states that all loading bays are for commercial goods only. This may clarify your assertion. Until then, I'm afraid I have to go with patdavies in that private vehicles are classed as Private/Light Goods.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Loading and unloading bays are intended for commercial vehicles only and not for shoppers. If everyone decided to park in these, then how are deliveries going to be made. And it is no good saying I will only be 5 minutes etc., for if a wagon turns up, where is the driver meant to park in the meantime?

The same place that most of them park when another shop's wagon is there

That is totally wrong, they are for the delivery and collection by commercial vehicles (that can include a car) and are not intended for shoppers.

Eh, no, it's not totally wrong. In fact, it's perfectly correct. I did not say that a loading bay is intended for shoppers. I said that it is intended for loading / unloading. I think you'll find a clue in the name... :)

There are a number of reasons why a loading bay would be used for non-commercial purposes. For example, your statement implies that somebody would not be allowed to turn up in a van and unload new furniture for their flat because that is not commercial use.

I think you'll find that your statement is the one that is 'totally wrong'...

The Parking Adjudicator has examined loading with respect to parking enforcement in the decisions reported as Jane Packer Flowers and Others on 19/07/97.

It is quite clear from the decision in Jane Packer Flowers and Others that private cars are capable of loading for these purposes and that loading does not have to be of a commercial nature, and that loading includes the period away from the vehicle and that a period of several minutes is not unreasonable.

It is also clear for the Parking adjudicators decision in Douglas v Brent (PAS case No. 1960031276) that, since the driver had right to park for the purposes of loading, the burden of proof lies with Transport for London (substitute for your LA) to prove that the driver was not loading .

• 1 month later...

Thanks you guys for your help. Just to follow up, I have sent the following letter. I have been eMailed back, asking for a postal address to which they can respond. I will keep you posted, obviously:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

On 05/06/2006 I received a parking ticket whilst loading my car in the designated loading bay, West Avenue, Clacton on Sea.

I spoke to the traffic warden at the time, making it clear that I was loading my car with heavy weight lifting equipment that I had previously bought from the Argos store shortly before, and that I had moved my car into the loading bay simply just to collect it.

I was told by the traffic warden that I had the “wrong type” of vehicle to use a loading bay - I will point out that the taxation class of my vehicle is PLG, therefore I am entitled to carry Light Goods. Also, it has recently come to my attention that the Parking Adjudicator has examined loading with respect to parking enforcement in the decisions reported as Jane Packer Flowers and Others on 19/07/97.

It is quite clear from the decision in “Jane Packer Flowers and Others” that private cars are capable of loading for these purposes, and that loading does not have to be of a commercial nature, and that loading includes the period away from the vehicle and that a period of several minutes is not unreasonable. (Details of this case can be found here: http://www.parkingandtrafficappeals.gov.uk/user_documents/LOADADJ.pdf )

Also, I quote, “It is sometimes said (e.g. in the Parking Attendants Handbook) that shopping is not goods. This is an oversimplification. Certainly a person buying small items is not covered (Sprake - v - Tester ) …However, the fact that goods could be described as "shopping" does not prevent the exemption applying if the other criteria are met - for example, if the goods are heavy and bulky their actual transfer to a vehicle would be "loading" under the examples given in Sprake - v - tester. And if a motorist for example brings his car round to pick up the goods once a purchase has been made” as in this case “…that would also be a "collection" provided the goods warranted the use of a vehicle (Richards - v McKnight).”

Taking this information into account, I would like to bring to your attention that the ticket was issued unfairly and not warranted, and on this basis request a full refund. (Copy of digital Receipt below).

I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely

Good letter - very concise and leaves little room for dispute :)

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Could someone in Wood Green Haringey London check what the signs are around the Shopping City area of Green Lanes. Because they do say something like, 'Heavy goods vehicle loading'. Thus Private cars would be the wrong sort. This assumes that such a sign has a legal status and isn't just made up by the council.

Could someone in Wood Green Haringey London check what the signs are around the Shopping City area of Green Lanes. Because they do say something like, 'Heavy goods vehicle loading'. Thus Private cars would be the wrong sort. This assumes that such a sign has a legal status and isn't just made up by the council.

Your right a lot of loading bays will have a sign post along side stating "Loading/unloading by commercial vehicles only"

Being a lorry driver i see it all the time especially in towns where there is no enforcement. 99% of cars parked in loading bays are shoppers and not collect heavy things from argos. I have often double parked along side offending cars and they are always bloody shoppers - If people were not so lazy then there would never be an issue with loading bays.

Halifax Bank - Owed £1599

23/3 - Data Protection Act sent

24/5 - Data Protection Act finally arrived

25/5 - Demand for repayment sent

04/10 Court bundle filed with court and Halifax

29/10 STAY ISSUED

JAN 08 - Currently being harrased by debt collectors!

Mar 08 - New DCA - Stopped in there tracks

Jun 08 - And another

Jul 08 - Complaint made to HBOS

Nov 08 - My accounts been sold to a DCA

Jan 09 - New complaint issued against HBOS

Mar 09 - Halifax re-aquired the debt

Apr 09 - Applying for Hardship.

at least they removed 2 defaults in selling accounts! :D

I dont not claim to know everything and any advice i give should be treated as MY opinion.

If ive been helpful tip the scales!

or better still

DONATE TO CAG - every tenner helps!

Hi,

I got hit by a ticket while parking in a loading bay on the main London Road at Thornton Heath Pond. The thing is as I parked I noticed to femail wardens right across the road. they saw me park. I waited to see if they would either move me on or shouyt at least to say that this was the wrong place to park. They walked on without so much as a wink. Anyway I walked into the local KFC to get lunch. every now and then I looked out to see if the wardens were there. I was in the KFC about three minutes, came out and saw them swiftly write up the ticket as I was getting into the car. They had obviuosly hid out of my line of sight to issue the ticket. B****es! However since looking at this thread I will check the status and wording of the ticket to see if I can also get this waived, or thrown out.

• 3 weeks later...

just as an aside, here in southport there was a bay with a sign that said"coaches only 15 minutes parking" .someone parked a private car there and received a ticket which he took all the way to to NPAS and they ruled in his favour because the council had ommited the full stop after "only", implying cars were not restricted!

Just as an aside, here in Southport there was a bay with a sign that said "coaches only 15 minutes parking". Someone parked a private car there and received a ticket which he took all the way to to NPAS and they ruled in his favour because the council had omitted the full stop after "only", implying cars were not restricted!

Lovely.

Shows that being a stickler for correct punctuation does sometimes pay off.

Good spelling also helps - I took the liberty of correcting yours in the quote :)

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.

I Received a response re:this thread:

"I am writing with regards to your recent correspondence received on 22/5/07, in relation to the above penalty charge notice.

This notice was paid and fully closed on 6/6/06, and is past the period of challenge. As such, I regret to inform you that we are unable to reconsider this matter.

Yours sincerely....."

...So not only does it seem that they took my money unfairly by issuing an invalid ticket and refusing to listen to my reasoning at the time - but are now saying that because it is paid you cant ask for it back! (Regardless of validity or not!).

What do you guys think...?