Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

BAILIFFS - The Law and Your Rights

Written by John Kruse, one of the leading experts on Bailiff Law, this consumer friendly guide is essential reading for anyone who comes into contact with a bailiff.

The book is easy to understand and clearly explains the rights a bailiff has, and also what they cannot do when collecting debts and repossessing goods etc.

£13.95 + £2.00 (P&P)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder Gallen Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Apr 2006

Default Parking ticket - Whilst loading in Loading bay

Few months back I was buying some weight lifting gear from Argos. There is a loading bay 50m away. I parked there and opened my boot ready, as it would have been impossible to carry the gear round town.

I got to Argos and realised (as soon as I walked in) that I had left my wallet in the car. I went back to the car (less than 1 minute after parking) to find a traffic warden taking photos etc.

I explained what I was doing, and that I was "loading" my car with heavy weight lifting equipment, and asked why I was getting a ticket?

She told me I had the "wrong type of vehicle" and that if it was an estate car I would have probably been ok.

I have since paid the ticket.

I was annoyed that the warden was obviously hiding out somewhere, and the lack of discression that they were willing to use (It was clearly proveable that I was collecting heavy weight lifting equipment). My only alternative would have been to park on double yellows outside of Argos whilst I nipped in.

Just to help get this off my chest, [edit]

Similar Threads:
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative

Cagger since
    Aug 2006

Default Re: Parking ticket - Whilst loading in Loading bay

The "wrong type of vehicle" quote is absolute crap.

There is nothing whatsoever in parking legislation that restricts loading/unloading exemptions to any class of vehicle.

There may be a natural presumption by TWs and PAs in favour of commercial vehicles, this is not backed up by law.

Basic Account Holder gwc1000 Informative gwc1000 Informative gwc1000 Informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Many years ago the tax disc for all cars was issued as "Private". To avoid this sort of confusion almost all cars these days are taxed as "PLG" or Private/Light Goods. You are therefore taxed to carry Light Goods and are eligible to load your vehicle subject to normal loading restrictions.

Basic Account Holder amandafairman Novitiate

Cagger since
    Sep 2006

Exclamation Re: Parking ticket - Whilst loading in Loading bay

Actually there is a difference in private and commercial vehicles, different rules apply when loading.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    dpick Highly informative dpick Highly informative dpick Highly informative dpick Highly informative dpick Highly informative dpick Highly informative dpick's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    Teesside

Quote Originally Posted by amandafairman View Post
    Actually there is a difference in private and commercial vehicles, different rules apply when loading.
    I got a ticket thrown out when I accidentally left wifes my blue disabled badge in car when loading car in a loading only area the warden booked me when I was loading a brand new electric wheelchair for my wife.

Warden would not even discuss this was just arrogant.

dpick

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...hat-youre.html

Halifax
    Paid in full 2295

MBNA 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One
    07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full 1666
    19/01/2008 recovered PPI 2216 + costs

Littlewoods
    12/08/2007 write off 1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full 640
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative

Cagger since
    Aug 2006

Quote Originally Posted by amandafairman View Post
    Maybe in the approach of councils, but absolutely not in law.

Legally, there is no difference between the two; councils just tend to be a little more lenient with obviously commercial vehicles

tlusnoc

Loading and unloading bays are intended for commercial vehicles only and not for shoppers. If everyone decided to park in these, then how are deliveries going to be made. And it is no good saying I will only be 5 minutes etc., for if a wagon turns up, where is the driver meant to park in the meantime?

Basic Account Holder Filthy Monkey Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2006

Actually, they're intended for loading and unloading by any vehicle, commercial or otherwise. It is the activity being carried out that determines whether the vehicle may be parked there, not the type of vehicle.

tlusnoc

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    Actually, they're intended for loading and unloading by any vehicle, commercial or otherwise. It is the activity being carried out that determines whether the vehicle may be parked there, not the type of vehicle.

That is totally wrong, they are for the delivery and collection by commercial vehicles (that can include a car) and are not intended for shoppers.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Number 4, Stygia Avenue, Hell...come in, we have beer and Pringles.

tlusnoc, please post the regulation that states that all loading bays are for commercial goods only. This may clarify your assertion. Until then, I'm afraid I have to go with patdavies in that private vehicles are classed as Private/Light Goods.

-----
    Click the scales if I've been useful!
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Aug 2006

Quote Originally Posted by tlusnoc View Post
    Loading and unloading bays are intended for commercial vehicles only and not for shoppers. If everyone decided to park in these, then how are deliveries going to be made. And it is no good saying I will only be 5 minutes etc., for if a wagon turns up, where is the driver meant to park in the meantime?
    The same place that most of them park when another shop's wagon is there

Basic Account Holder Filthy Monkey Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by tlusnoc View Post
    That is totally wrong, they are for the delivery and collection by commercial vehicles (that can include a car) and are not intended for shoppers.
    Eh, no, it's not totally wrong. In fact, it's perfectly correct. I did not say that a loading bay is intended for shoppers. I said that it is intended for loading / unloading. I think you'll find a clue in the name...

There are a number of reasons why a loading bay would be used for non-commercial purposes. For example, your statement implies that somebody would not be allowed to turn up in a van and unload new furniture for their flat because that is not commercial use.

I think you'll find that your statement is the one that is 'totally wrong'...

Basic Account Holder Notpayinapenny Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2007

The Parking Adjudicator has examined loading with respect to parking enforcement in the decisions reported as Jane Packer Flowers and Others on 19/07/97.
    It is quite clear from the decision in Jane Packer Flowers and Others that private cars are capable of loading for these purposes and that loading does not have to be of a commercial nature, and that loading includes the period away from the vehicle and that a period of several minutes is not unreasonable.
    It is also clear for the Parking adjudicators decision in Douglas v Brent (PAS case No. 1960031276) that, since the driver had right to park for the purposes of loading, the burden of proof lies with Transport for London (substitute for your LA) to prove that the driver was not loading .

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash Authoritative demon_x_slash's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Number 4, Stygia Avenue, Hell...come in, we have beer and Pringles.

Thank you, NPAP

-----
    Click the scales if I've been useful!
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Notpayinapenny Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2007

No problem follow the link below for a bit of light reading

http://www.parkingandtrafficappeals....ts/LOADADJ.pdf

Basic Account Holder myboyelvis Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

this is brilliant as i too was given a parking ticketicon whilst loading my car parked in a loading bay and was told that i had the wrong sort of vehicle. So i will certainly be writing to the council to reject my parking ticket.

Basic Account Holder Gallen Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2006

Thanks you guys for your help. Just to follow up, I have sent the following letter. I have been eMailed back, asking for a postal address to which they can respond. I will keep you posted, obviously:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

On 05/06/2006 I received a parking ticketicon whilst loading my car in the designated loading bay, West Avenue, Clacton on Sea.

I spoke to the traffic warden at the time, making it clear that I was loading my car with heavy weight lifting equipment that I had previously bought from the Argos store shortly before, and that I had moved my car into the loading bay simply just to collect it.

I was told by the traffic warden that I had the “wrong type” of vehicle to use a loading bay - I will point out that the taxation class of my vehicle is PLG, therefore I am entitled to carry Light Goods. Also, it has recently come to my attention that the Parking Adjudicator has examined loading with respect to parking enforcement in the decisions reported as Jane Packer Flowers and Others on 19/07/97.

It is quite clear from the decision in “Jane Packer Flowers and Others” that private cars are capable of loading for these purposes, and that loading does not have to be of a commercial nature, and that loading includes the period away from the vehicle and that a period of several minutes is not unreasonable. (Details of this case can be found here: http://www.parkingandtrafficappeals....ts/LOADADJ.pdf )

Also, I quote, “It is sometimes said (e.g. in the Parking Attendants Handbook) that shopping is not goods. This is an oversimplification. Certainly a person buying small items is not covered (Sprake - v - Tester ) …However, the fact that goods could be described as "shopping" does not prevent the exemption applying if the other criteria are met - for example, if the goods are heavy and bulky their actual transfer to a vehicle would be "loading" under the examples given in Sprake - v - tester. And if a motorist for example brings his car round to pick up the goods once a purchase has been made” as in this case “…that would also be a "collection" provided the goods warranted the use of a vehicle (Richards - v McKnight).”

Taking this information into account, I would like to bring to your attention that the ticket was issued unfairly and not warranted, and on this basis request a full refund. (Copy of digital Receipt below).

I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely

Site Team Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    The Zone

Good letter - very concise and leaves little room for dispute

Basic Account Holder bribri Novitiate

Cagger since
    Aug 2006

Could someone in Wood Green Haringey London check what the signs are around the Shopping City area of Green Lanes. Because they do say something like, 'Heavy goods vehicle loading'. Thus Private cars would be the wrong sort. This assumes that such a sign has a legal status and isn't just made up by the council.

Basic Account Holder Jesteruk Novitiate Jesteruk Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2007

Smile Re: Parking ticket - Whilst loading in Loading bay

Quote Originally Posted by bribri View Post
    Could someone in Wood Green Haringey London check what the signs are around the Shopping City area of Green Lanes. Because they do say something like, 'Heavy goods vehicle loading'. Thus Private cars would be the wrong sort. This assumes that such a sign has a legal status and isn't just made up by the council.
    Your right a lot of loading bays will have a sign post along side stating "Loading/unloading by commercial vehicles only"
    Being a lorry driver i see it all the time especially in towns where there is no enforcement. 99% of cars parked in loading bays are shoppers and not collect heavy things from argos. I have often double parked along side offending cars and they are always bloody shoppers - If people were not so lazy then there would never be an issue with loading bays.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE