contents insurance policy endorsements problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

when my renewal letter arrived recently there were two new endorsements 'due to the recent theft'. one of these endorsements was that a burglar alarm must be fitted to the residence. the theft referred to was of a mobile phone stolen from my daughter away from home, my other daughter also had her phone stolen away from home in the last year. when i rang the company and pointed out that an intruder alarm at home would not have prevented either of these incidents they agreed but remained adamant that the endorsements would be enforced. when i contacted another insurance company they said that they would insist on exactly the same conditions being on the policy. the quote for an intruder alarm is £705, a sum that i could not hope to afford. i have started a complaint procedure against the company but would like to know if anyone could offer any advice.

I am afraid you have not got a leg to stand on. If they requested an intruder Mid Policy, they might have a problem, but as it is renewal your insurance contract has ran out. They are offering you a new contract on different terms. It might be because there has been a recent spate of thefts in your area, increasing the risk to your postcode, or numerous reasons. the best thing you can do is shop around, to find a policy that does not require an intruder alarm.

At renewal, Insurance Companies can change the Insurance however they want, as long as they inform you of the changes.

Sorry

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!

good news is that the company contacted me this morning and said that they had reviewed the endorsments and would remove the need for an intruder alarm to be fitted to the residence. this was after i had sent a letter of complaint to customer services. i have heard that complaints that end up before the ombudsman cost the company hundreds of pounds. does anyone know if there is any truth in this ?

Yes they do, even if the Ombudsman find in favour of the Insurance Company. From the Insurance Companies I have worked at I have been told different prices, ranging from £300-£600.

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!