Claim on Building (house) Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6308 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a bit complicated and I wonder if anyone can advise about an appropriate course of action.

My wife and I act on behalf of her 88 years old widowed aunt who has a circa 1926 3 bed semi in Manchester. We take care of all her affairs as she is unable to cope.

Last July I renewed the building and contents insurance, as I have in recent years, but changed the insurance company.

Last August I noticed a quite wide crack (wide enough to insert fingers) in the brick dividing wall between the front room and the hall. The crack has torn the wallpaper in the front room but is not evident on the hall side.

Although I had not seen the crack before (I don't often visit) it did not appear to be of recent origin.

We got in a structural engineer who found cracks to front and rear exterior walls and dishing to the upper gable. He suggested the house needed underpinning, costing about £15k.

I contacted the (new) insurance company who sent round their own surveyor (loss adjuster). I supplied a copy of our engineer' report.

After 6 weeks hassle from me the loss adjusters said the insurance company would monitor the cracks but would not pay for repairs as the damage obviously preceded the start of the insurance policy.

I was able to point out to them the ABI Agreement for dealing with such claims when there has been a change of company.

So the loss adjuster came again, this time with a building contractor who dug a couple of holes and lifted some floorboards. The upshot was that he found a complete fracture of the sewage drain spur pipe where the soil stack joins it, so that every flush of the bathroom toilet results in a water escape into the subsoil. Apparently, this makes the subsoil spongy and unable to support the structure - hence the wall cracks at that particular location. They agreed to mend the fracture and in fact are at present doing it.

As for the internal crack (and cracking over the porch), they say this is due to 'differential movement' between the external perimeter wall, which is built on footings, and the internal wall, which is built on the oversite. Therefore there is no need for underpinning. They have agreed to monitor all cracks and will repair rear cracks once stability has been established.

Our own engineer has been made aware of the situation and stands by his report.

So we have a conflict about cause and effect, with possibly a substantial amount of expense involved. Can anyone help to resolve the matter? I have thought about engaging another structural engineer - but where does it all end?

Follow the Insurance Companies complaints process, advising you want the house underpinning, once they have issued the Final Decision Letter go straight to the Ombudsman.

For your peace of mind you can get a second opinion - If this second opinion also states that the house needs to be underpinned I am sure it will be resolved quicker.

Good Luck

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!