HSBC overdraft charges

silverbirch
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4616 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I went overdrawn christmas, on 17th January £125 of charges was applied to my account. They did not write to let me know these charges were going to be applied, the first i knew about them was when checking my online statement.

I emailed them asking for a breakdown of these charges and also mentioned that i was in financial difficulties and these charges, without warning had just made my situation a whole lot worse.

This is there reply:

Case: ******* statement enquirese (why a case number, i just asked a question)

I can confirm that you will be charged an overdraft review fee of £25 on each occasion that you go overdrawn by more than £10 or then further increase the overdrawn balance by more than £10. A maximum of £125 can be charged in any one charging period.

Please be advised that the overdraft review fees of £125 occurred during charging period 27 nov - 26 dec and were due to the following:

6 dec - £1553.33 overdrawn

7 dec - £1662.16 overdrawn

12 dec - 1548.07 overdrawn

13 dec - 1606.07 overdrawn

14 dec - 1984.37 overdrawn

please note that we will only charge an overdraft review fee every time you go overdrawn or further overdrawn without our agreement or exceed or further exced an agreed overdraft limit.

Although we cannot refund these charges which have been correctly calculated and applied in accordance to the Banks standard tariff, we may be able to help you to avoid this situation in the future by giving you an increased overdraft limit.

Yours sincerely

M Bowden

manager customer credit services

I went overdrawn christmas, on 17th January £125 of charges was applied to my account. They did not write to let me know these charges were going to be applied, the first i knew about them was when checking my online statement.

I emailed them asking for a breakdown of these charges and also mentioned that i was in financial difficulties and these charges, without warning had just made my situation a whole lot worse.

This is there reply:

Case: ******* statement enquirese (why a case number, i just asked a question)

I can confirm that you will be charged an overdraft review fee of £25 on each occasion that you go overdrawn by more than £10 or then further increase the overdrawn balance by more than £10. A maximum of £125 can be charged in any one charging period.

Please be advised that the overdraft review fees of £125 occurred during charging period 27 nov - 26 dec and were due to the following:

6 dec - £1553.33 overdrawn

7 dec - £1662.16 overdrawn

12 dec - 1548.07 overdrawn

13 dec - 1606.07 overdrawn

14 dec - 1984.37 overdrawn

please note that we will only charge an overdraft review fee every time you go overdrawn or further overdrawn without our agreement or exceed or further exced an agreed overdraft limit.

Although we cannot refund these charges which have been correctly calculated and applied in accordance to the Banks standard tariff, we may be able to help you to avoid this situation in the future by giving you an increased overdraft limit.

Yours sincerely

M Bowden

manager customer credit services

to continue, my overdraft limit is £1500 and after having these charges i then cleared my overdraft with my egg card. Just checked my online statement today and they charged my another £125 on 17 Feb so now i'm overdrawn again.

Really feel they are taking the piss and its time to fight back but what can i do, is the wording of the above letter there get out clause or can i still demand my money back?

to continue, my overdraft limit is £1500 and after having these charges i then cleared my overdraft with my egg card. Just checked my online statement today and they charged my another £125 on 17 Feb so now i'm overdrawn again.

Really feel they are taking the piss and its time to fight back but what can i do, is the wording of the above letter there get out clause or can i still demand my money back?

demand your money back

If you know how much then you can just send a letter from the library giving them 14 days to cough up or else they get the Good News.

Open another account elsewhere

demand your money back

If you know how much then you can just send a letter from the library giving them 14 days to cough up or else they get the Good News.

Open another account elsewhere

The banks appear to be under the impression that they can charge "punishment charges" to people, and then follow the logic that if they can create the situation that they can apply the punishment charges to, that gives them some god-given right to go ahead.

One thing that disturbs me greatly is they are widening the scope of this. Originally it was specifically the low paid (benefits a main target) who were subject to this, but now they appear to be extending it to ANYONE who has an overdraft. ANYTHING to drive those people a few pounds over the agreed limit, and then they have an excuse to apply charges without warning, when doing so would again cause the overdraft to go over its limit - result: a domino effect of charging which is extremely hard for the customer to break out of, and extremely profitable for the banks.

The banks appear to be under the impression that they can charge "punishment charges" to people, and then follow the logic that if they can create the situation that they can apply the punishment charges to, that gives them some god-given right to go ahead.

One thing that disturbs me greatly is they are widening the scope of this. Originally it was specifically the low paid (benefits a main target) who were subject to this, but now they appear to be extending it to ANYONE who has an overdraft. ANYTHING to drive those people a few pounds over the agreed limit, and then they have an excuse to apply charges without warning, when doing so would again cause the overdraft to go over its limit - result: a domino effect of charging which is extremely hard for the customer to break out of, and extremely profitable for the banks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i'm getting organised, i've gone through my online statements on this account and my other accounts with hsbc and the total charges they have taken in the last 6 years = £767.00 I've put this with the dates in the spreadsheet provided here and the interest takes it to £952.17

I've opened a bank account elsewhere for myself so i have a back up and hubby is in the process of doing the same as the one account is joint so nearly ready to go.

Something i noticed though when going through all the charges is that the charging amounts used to be the same every month regardless of how much i exceeded my overdraft limit, it was always a set fee of £27.50 which in 2003 went up to £36 then in 2004 dropped to £18, 2005 it was £20 so why in 06 does it suddenly shoot up to £125 for both jan and feb? Have hsbc changed there terms and conditions relating to charges? does anyone know? as if i had been charged similar to previous occasions i know i wouldn't be taking steps to get my money back but would have just accepted it.

confused

You know that you don't claim the 8% yet, don't you. Only when you ut the claim in. As to why ....? I'm sure that God only knows - maybe.

• 5 years later...

i got charged 150 quid, no warning, just pre notified on my statement, went into the bank to find out why ect, very unhelpful staff. of course there was also on top of that a 12.95 account fee and i got interest added to my account of a whopping £1.02.

• 7 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/05/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4616 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks