Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder silverbirch Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Feb 2006

Default HSBC overdraft charges

I went overdrawn christmas, on 17th January £125 of charges was applied to my account. They did not write to let me know these charges were going to be applied, the first i knew about them was when checking my online statement.

I emailed them asking for a breakdown of these charges and also mentioned that i was in financial difficulties and these charges, without warning had just made my situation a whole lot worse.

This is there reply:

Case: ******* statement enquirese (why a case number, i just asked a question)

I can confirm that you will be charged an overdrafticon review fee of £25 on each occasion that you go overdrawn by more than £10 or then further increase the overdrawn balance by more than £10. A maximum of £125 can be charged in any one charging period.

Please be advised that the overdraft review fees of £125 occurred during charging period 27 nov - 26 dec and were due to the following:

6 dec - £1553.33 overdrawn
    7 dec - £1662.16 overdrawn
    12 dec - 1548.07 overdrawn
    13 dec - 1606.07 overdrawn
    14 dec - 1984.37 overdrawn

please note that we will only charge an overdraft review fee every time you go overdrawn or further overdrawn without our agreement or exceed or further exced an agreed overdraft limit.

Although we cannot refund these charges which have been correctly calculated and applied in accordance to the Banks standard tariff, we may be able to help you to avoid this situation in the future by giving you an increased overdraft limit.

Yours sincerely
    M Bowden
    manager customer credit services

Similar Threads:

Cagger since
    Feb 2006

Default HSBC overdraft charges

I went overdrawn christmas, on 17th January £125 of charges was applied to my account. They did not write to let me know these charges were going to be applied, the first i knew about them was when checking my online statement.

I emailed them asking for a breakdown of these charges and also mentioned that i was in financial difficulties and these charges, without warning had just made my situation a whole lot worse.

This is there reply:

Case: ******* statement enquirese (why a case number, i just asked a question)

I can confirm that you will be charged an overdrafticon review fee of £25 on each occasion that you go overdrawn by more than £10 or then further increase the overdrawn balance by more than £10. A maximum of £125 can be charged in any one charging period.

Please be advised that the overdraft review fees of £125 occurred during charging period 27 nov - 26 dec and were due to the following:

6 dec - £1553.33 overdrawn
    7 dec - £1662.16 overdrawn
    12 dec - 1548.07 overdrawn
    13 dec - 1606.07 overdrawn
    14 dec - 1984.37 overdrawn

please note that we will only charge an overdraft review fee every time you go overdrawn or further overdrawn without our agreement or exceed or further exced an agreed overdraft limit.

Although we cannot refund these charges which have been correctly calculated and applied in accordance to the Banks standard tariff, we may be able to help you to avoid this situation in the future by giving you an increased overdraft limit.

Yours sincerely
    M Bowden
    manager customer credit services

Cagger since
    Feb 2006

to continue, my overdrafticon limit is £1500 and after having these charges i then cleared my overdraft with my Eggicon card. Just checked my online statement today and they charged my another £125 on 17 Feb so now i'm overdrawn again.

Really feel they are taking the **** and its time to fight back but what can i do, is the wording of the above letter there get out clause or can i still demand my money back?

Cagger since
    Feb 2006

to continue, my overdrafticon limit is £1500 and after having these charges i then cleared my overdraft with my Eggicon card. Just checked my online statement today and they charged my another £125 on 17 Feb so now i'm overdrawn again.

Really feel they are taking the **** and its time to fight back but what can i do, is the wording of the above letter there get out clause or can i still demand my money back?

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder has disabled reputation BankFodder's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2006
    I am in
    Please consider making a donation if we have helped you. Thanks
    Blog Entries

demand your money back
    If you know how much then you can just send a letter from the libraryicon giving them 14 days to cough up or else they get the good newsicon.

Open another account elsewhere

Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.
    All attribution rights and moral rights in my copyright work are asserted
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

Site Team The Consumer Action Group BankFodder has disabled reputation BankFodder's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jan 2006
    I am in
    Blog Entries

demand your money back
    If you know how much then you can just send a letter from the libraryicon giving them 14 days to cough up or else they get the good newsicon.

Open another account elsewhere

Please don't pm me about specific questions unless you have posted and it has not been dealt with or unless the matter is confidential.
    Advice & opinions of BankFodder, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.
    Follows
    Following

The banks appear to be under the impression that they can charge "punishment charges" to people, and then follow the logic that if they can create the situation that they can apply the punishment charges to, that gives them some god-given right to go ahead.

One thing that disturbs me greatly is they are widening the scope of this. Originally it was specifically the low paid (benefits a main target) who were subject to this, but now they appear to be extending it to ANYONE who has an overdrafticon. ANYTHING to drive those people a few pounds over the agreed limit, and then they have an excuse to apply charges without warning, when doing so would again cause the overdraft to go over its limit - result: a domino effect of charging which is extremely hard for the customer to break out of, and extremely profitable for the banks.

The banks appear to be under the impression that they can charge "punishment charges" to people, and then follow the logic that if they can create the situation that they can apply the punishment charges to, that gives them some god-given right to go ahead.

One thing that disturbs me greatly is they are widening the scope of this. Originally it was specifically the low paid (benefits a main target) who were subject to this, but now they appear to be extending it to ANYONE who has an overdrafticon. ANYTHING to drive those people a few pounds over the agreed limit, and then they have an excuse to apply charges without warning, when doing so would again cause the overdraft to go over its limit - result: a domino effect of charging which is extremely hard for the customer to break out of, and extremely profitable for the banks.

Cagger since
    Feb 2006

Well, i'm getting organised, i've gone through my online statements on this account and my other accounts with HSBCicon and the total charges they have taken in the last 6 yearsicon = 767.00 I've put this with the dates in the spreadsheet provided here and the interesticon takes it to 952.17

I've opened a bank account elsewhere for myself so i have a back up and hubby is in the process of doing the same as the one account is joint so nearly ready to go.

Something i noticed though when going through all the charges is that the charging amounts used to be the same every month regardless of how much i exceeded my overdraft limit, it was always a set fee of 27.50 which in 2003 went up to 36 then in 2004 dropped to 18, 2005 it was 20 so why in 06 does it suddenly shoot up to 125 for both jan and feb? Have hsbc changed there terms and conditions relating to charges? does anyone know? as if i had been charged similar to previous occasions i know i wouldn't be taking steps to get my money back but would have just accepted it.

confused

Cagger since
    Jan 2006
    I am in
    Blog Entries

You know that you don't claim the 8% yet, don't you. Only when you ut the claim in. As to why ....? I'm sure that God only knows - maybe.

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Feb 2006

Yes, i know i don't claim the 8% yet, just like to be prepared.

Thanks

Basic Account Holder indysteve Novitiate

Cagger since
    Aug 2011

Default Re: HSBC overdraft charges

i got charged 150 quid, no warning, just pre notified on my statement, went into the bank to find out why ect, very unhelpful staff. of course there was also on top of that a 12.95 account fee and i got interesticon added to my account of a whopping 1.02.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE