Fredricksons Debt Collectors Advice. Is it illegal to not give them address details??

powerful_rogue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6288 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just looking for some advice.

Received a letter from the above debt collectors at my parents address. It appears they have been instructed to recover a £300 debt from Nationwide.

I though this account was closed a long time ago, but appears not. Contacted Nationwide asking for statements so I can see what its all about.

In the process of getting free statements to see whats going on, but was told on phone its made up mostly of charges!

Phoned Fredricksons debt collectors to advise them this was in dispute. They were very rude and abrupt when I told them I was not going to give them my new address. I told them to contact Nationwide who gave them the debt to get it. (I gave nationwide my new address on the phone).

The lady from the debt collectors said "Its illegal not to provide your details to a debt collection agency" Once again I said get them from Nationwide. I dont want to give them to you as the debt is currently in dispute.

She said "I will mark up that you a re refusing you give your correct details. Goodbye" and then she hung up!

Is this correct? Its illegal not to give your details to a debt collection agency? Im guessing its just scaremongering tactics.

Well you've told the legal owner of the debt of your change of address.

DCA's are just used to getting their own ways in demanding information and misinforming people of their rights.

Send them the no-telephone contact letter as well as a CCA request.

23/05/06 DPA Sent to Halifax

I Love You All :D

Well you've told the legal owner of the debt of your change of address.

DCA's are just used to getting their own ways in demanding information and misinforming people of their rights.

Send them the no-telephone contact letter as well as a CCA request.

Thanks for your reply.

Just back on the phone to Nationwide to advise of the behavior of the debt collection agency. He's not happy about it at all and is now speaking with the liason department. :)

There was no way I was giving my address to a debt collection agency I know nothing about and when the debt was in dispute.

Just wanted to check whether it was correct when she said "Its illeagl not to give a debt collection agency your address".

Just wanted to check whether it was correct when she said "Its illeagl not to give a debt collection agency your address".

It's more illegal for a debt collection agency to tell you it's illegal !

Rest assured, it's total hogwash ! you don't legally have to tell them anything at all :D

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum

Don't know why they are making such a fuss. All they have to do is sarch

your credit file and get it from there.

Ideally you should have sent an sar to NW to get all your info, not just statements, if you wish to reclaim the charges.[see FAQS on the forum first page]. If NW are still the creditor, there is no point in sending a CCA request to the DCA as it only needs to be answered by the owner of the debt.

Once you send off your letter to NW asking for your money back can you really claim that you are in dispute with them, and if you write to the DCA

then, should they phone or write to you asking for paymeint, or threatening

you, they commit an offence.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have sent my letter off to Nationwide to claim back my charges, however received a letter from the DCA stating ive got 7 days to pay or its off to court!

I phoned them up and explained the account was in dispute and im currently dealing with Nationwide.

They said they would mark it in dispute for one week and that I need to send them all letters I receive from Nationwide!

I tild them I was not going to do that as im dealing with Nationwide and nationwide only. If they want any further information then to contact Nationwide.

The DCA stated that they are the legal owner of the debt, funny how Nationwide said that they are the owner!

The DCA started asking "Are you married?" "Are you a homeowner?" - told him it was none of his buisness!

Anyway, the converstaion kept going round in circles, so I told him I had made my position clear and terminated the call.

Do I really have to keep the DCA updated and send them all letters? I thought they would have got all this info from Nationwide?

If this is not the case, is there a letter I can send them stating its in dispute and I want no contact until its resolved?

Where do I stand legally?

Thanks in advance.

If Nationwide claim to be the owners of the debt, deal with them only.

Tell the DCA to take a running jump, but do it as rudely, and agressively, as you possibly can. Then send them a bill for your time spent sorting out their mess, at £9.50 an hour. When they don't pay up, find the names of the directors on the Companies House website, and take them to court, etc, etc, etc....... :D

Nil Illigitimus Carborundum