Advice Sought Re Endowment Shortfall With A Difference

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6301 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help with this but I bought a Standard Life Endowment Policy, direct from Standard Life in the full knowledge it was being used for a mortgage. Like many there is now going to be a substantial shortfall.

Standard Life admit that they sold me the policy direct and gave no advice re the suitability of the product for my needs but state that as they gave no advice they could not be held liable for giving me wrong advice. Now I can understand the logic in this but surely the fact they gave me no advice is just as bad if not worse?

The ombudsman has stated verbally that they can only look at mis-selling due to wrong advice, not no advice!

Not sure where to go now or even if I have a case here.

Can anyone give me advice re my next step?

Thanks

10/09/06 - 13/11/06 reclaimed full charges and interest of £2781.45 for friend from Nationwide;)

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can help with this but I bought a Standard Life Endowment Policy, direct from Standard Life in the full knowledge it was being used for a mortgage. Like many there is now going to be a substantial shortfall.

Standard Life admit that they sold me the policy direct and gave no advice re the suitability of the product for my needs but state that as they gave no advice they could not be held liable for giving me wrong advice. Now I can understand the logic in this but surely the fact they gave me no advice is just as bad if not worse?

The ombudsman has stated verbally that they can only look at mis-selling due to wrong advice, not no advice!

Not sure where to go now or even if I have a case here.

Can anyone give me advice re my next step?

Thanks

Am no expert here, but I fear the Ombudsman is probably correct. If they didn't advice you, they couldn't have advised you incorrectly. As no advice was provided or asked for, the logical conclusion will be that you knew the score with what you were buying.

Just my best guess.

Jeremy

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

• 2 weeks later...

Feel free to PM me with confidential answers. I am an IFA.

Key things -

How did you buy it? You say direct, but key question here - did you meet with someone and do you still have copies of the paperwork?

When were you informed of the shortfall?

And (answer this honestly) did you purchase the endowment because you wanted an endowment? What research did YOU do into choosing the right vehicle for repaying your mortgage? Did you right SL and say "I want / need an endowment ...", contact them, and then take out the endowment?