Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder blackmanfamily Novitiate blackmanfamily's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Oct 2006
    I am in
    United Kingdom

Cool HSBC _ Metropolitan collection services

Hi all
    need some help here
    have done SARicon, got statements, asked nicely for money back... was going to use it to clear my overdraft, the bulk of which is covered by the charges. Got a nasty letter from HSBCicon collections
    Wrote to them and said account was in dispute, please cease from any further action until the account issues are resolved
    and guess what they have passed the debt to a collection agency
    is this lawfull?
    what can i do to chase the debt agency away?
    can i complain about hsbc

any ideas???

Similar Threads:
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder LeeS80 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Oct 2006

Default Re: HSBC _ Metropolitan collection services

Hi,

I'm no expert, but there are a few people who might be along shortly can put you right. It is my understanding that once a debt is in dispute, nothing can be done with it until the dispute is resolved.

Cheers,
    Lee

HSBC - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 30/10/06

07/11/06 - Letter refunding cheque and informing statements will be along shortly.
    08/11/06 - Statements from Jan-2001 to Jan-2004 rec'd. Requested more but am waiting.
    09/11/06 - Sending of prelim request for refund! 913.50
    27/11/06 - Letter from Royal Mail, original prelim lost in post!!
    06/12/06 - Another prelim sent
    19/12/06 - Reply from Mr Langdale saying complaint received and that I'll have a proper response by 5th January 07....

Capital One - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 31/10/06

Sent off prelim for 392.00 - All adds up I suppose! 06-12-06
    Partial Offer received 19/12/06 - 152, offer accepted as part settlement only......

GE Capital Bank - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) 31/10/06

Store card account. Charges approx 200, prelim being sent off in the new year!
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder manogwent Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2007
    I am in
    devon

re MCS , they have a website www.paymcs.com where payments can be made and also has contact details. they are are very heavy handed and agressice collection service which fits in with HSBCicon's handling of my wife's account

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    Mostly in here

I have a strange feeling that the account is not in dispute until you file a claim through the court. I maybe wrong about that though. Have you filed a claim with your court yet?

If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Metro are a wholly owned subsidiary of HSBCicon in other words its just HSBC's debt collectionicon department.
    Like all debt collection companies all they care about is getting money off you and they can be pretty heavy handed doing it. Just keep replying to any letters they send confirming that the debt is in dispute and they should refer the matter back to HSBC.
    If they phone you (and they will try this) tell them you don't discuss financial matters over the phone and put all of their questions it in writing, it worth noting they are not allowed to talk to you if you don't answer their security questions so don't answer them

The balance of your account (the debt) is in dispute as soon as you ask for your charges back however they could try to argue this point if you haven't started litigation.

Have a look at post #213, #314 and #319 on my thread if you want some ideas about what to put in letters.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...rn-claims.html

good luck

pete

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy Authoritative jowalshy's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    Mostly in here

As it is a bit quiet on here at the moment I have done a little bit of researching into when an account becomes in dispute. Here is a post from a site helper to someone who asked a few questions regarding this matter.

Q1. At what point does a queery about a debt formally become a dispute?

A: When you dispute the amount owed, whether this be partially or in it's entirety, and have presented the dispute in writing.

Q2. What is not allowed while a debt is in dispute?

A: The creditor is not lawfully allowed to take any action against an account while it is in dispute.

Q3. Who ultimatly do you complain to if the creditor is ignoring the protocol while a debt is in dispute?

A: The creditor themselves, Trading Standards, the OFT and the fosicon.

Q4. Two of the CRA's show defaults on my report, these are now over four and a half years old, the third CRA, Equifax, does not show these defaults and looks ok, Any ideas as to why they dont appear on the Equifax report?

A: Different companies use different CRA's. Equifax and Experian don't share info on defaults.

Q5. If a default stays on your credit file for six years, what happens if after the six years you are still paying it back, its still not settled?

A: It doesn't appear on your credit file, so doesn't affect your credit rating.

I hope this helps

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder maners Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2008

To those asking for a phone number for metropolitan collections (freephone) 0500 992299

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Feb 2007
    I am in
    Mostly in here

thanks maners

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Spicecat Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2008

ok so where do people that have never banked with HSBCicon in any way shape or form stand with regards to this collection agency calling them? I've never had an account with HSBC but I have been receiving calls from this collection agency today. Can anyone give me some clue as to how I can stop them calling me as I have no outstanding debt with these people.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest Authoritative Castlebest's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Hiya spice have they said why they are calling you? I've never known Metro work for any other bank or financial body so unless they are branching out it will be to do with HSBCicon.

If they phone again see if you can get some more detail off them.

pete

Basic Account Holder daviddd Novitiate

Cagger since
    Sep 2007

I live in Slovakia and have asked a friend in the UK to send two recorded delivery letters to their address in Edgbaston RDicon, Birmingham as I had to answer two letters from them where there were inaccuracies.

I wrote in May and August, 2nd class recorded delivery.
    Neither letters are confirmed as having been received on the royal mail website.

It's not unknown for me to send recorded delivery letters for them to be received but not to come up on the royal mail website.

However, it's a little strange that BOTH recorded delivery letters have not registered.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

That is a little strange David, are you sure your friend posted the letters?

pete

Basic Account Holder Sundancer23 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Sep 2008

Hello,

I'm new at the forum and can't fgure out how to make a new threadicon, so sorry to interrupt.

Can someone please tell me the address for HSBCicon's Metropolitan Collection Services?

Many thanks

Cagger since
    Sep 2007

castlebest

yes, she did. She posted both the post office's recorded delivery receipts...

Cagger since
    Sep 2007

Sundancer 23

Metropolitan collection Services Ltd
    56 St James Road
    Edgbaston
    Birmingham
    B15 1JL

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Quote Originally Posted by daviddd View Post
    castlebest

yes, she did. She posted both the post office's recorded delivery receipts...
    Then contact Royal Mail and find out why the letters wernt delivered/no receipts were issued.

pete

Basic Account Holder Carolyn28 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Sep 2008

Hi all!!

I was just wondering if you knew the contact number for metropolitan if you are ringing from abroad. I have tried to use the UK number but to no avail.

Thanks!!!

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

Hiya Carolyn, write to them, there is absolutely no point in phoning them they will just try to get money out of you and you wont be able to prove anything you or they have said

the address is above

pete

Basic Account Holder Messydesk Novitiate

Cagger since
    Nov 2008

We are bankrupt and one of the debts was to HSBCicon. Despite being told by the Official receiver to leave us alone Metropolitan Collections have continued to hound us. If it is illegal to hound someone who is bankrupt how to HSBC get away with it. We have put in a complaint to the FSO but it is taking forever to be dealt with.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Feb 2007

I'm assuming Metro are phoning you, start logging the calls you receive and tell them you are doing this, date, time and the name of the person who is calling you.

They shouldn't discuss anything with you until you have answered their security questions so refuse to do this and tell them you don't discuss financial matters over the phone and to write to you instead.

Have you spoken to the fosicon? told them you are being harassed by Metro?

pete

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE