Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder John Evans Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Feb 2006

Default Halifax home insurance.

I have been systematically overcharged for home insuranceicon by the halifaxicon which they refuse to refund my original policy cost was £737.35 and the re-applied for policy cost was finally settled at £337.54 for identical cover, an annual overcharge of £400.00.

If you are a Halifax policy holder of a few years standing, log on to :-http://www.halifax.co.uk/insurance/insurance_home.shtml click the Home Insurance Quote and follow the instructions; you will find that a quote will not be given as they already have details on file. The information that blocks the quote is the address and the date of birth of the oldest resident (if you try next doors address or change the date of birth [one day older will do] and ‘hay presto’ a new quote will be displayed). I think you will be amazed at the result !

Similar Threads:

Basic Account Holder Alvickers Novitiate

Cagger since
    Oct 2006

Default Re: Halifax home insurance.

John,

I encountered the same problem last year, £230.00 off my bill.

Well done, I'll take another look'

Al

Basic Account Holder RedDeath Novitiate RedDeath Novitiate RedDeath's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006

Sorry John, but i am on the halifaxicon's side for this one. I used to work in a call centre and those queries were quite frequent. Insurance prices vary on a day to day basis. Its a bit like buying a pair of shoes and then finding them cheaper a month later in the sales. Or plane tickets, tv, or anything else. The price was set at the time based on claims criteria and so on, the market has since changed, they have changed their loadings for your particular area and so on. Your only other option would be to cancel the insurance with the halifax (check what the refund would be, also there is a cancellation charge of about £30-£50 depending on the company) and then set up a new policy online. Yes, a silly method, but that's the system at the moment.

Its life, sometimes prices go up and sometimes they go down.

Basic Account Holder Kizan Novitiate

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    North of England

As a rule of thumb, you should never take out your home insuranceicon with your lender as they are normally not competitive on premium.

When I arrange a mortgageicon or remortgage for a client it is extremely rare for a lender to ever have the most competitive premium. Once or twice Nationwideicon have been the cheapest, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

My advice to everyone is to either shop around for the insurance yourself, or if you are using a broker, let him do it for you

Donate to your favourite charities without it costing you a penny. For more details please visit www.insure4charity.co.uk
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder John Evans Novitiate

Cagger since
    Feb 2006

Hi, you must be a spy - renewal quote £737.35 similar to year before - call centre quote £337.54 a reassessment of 218.45% hardly a day to day variation ! My wife works in another division of the halifaxicon (this why I used them in the first place) and workmates of hers have also been systematically overcharged !

Cagger since
    Dec 2006

ha ha, yes I am a spy!!! You can call me 007 if you prefer.
    Suppose at this point check how much it will cost you to cancel the policy and set up a new one if need be.

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    North of England

If John switches to another household insuranceicon company at the renewal date, the lender should only charge him an adminicon fee of £25 to inspect the new policy.

Tell your new insurance provider to name the halifaxicon on the policy schedule as an "interested party". The lender will insist on this and will want to see a copy of the new policy schedule to ensure they are mentioned on it; thus the £25 adminicon fee for inspecting the same.

From what you've posted above John, this will be £25 well spent.

Good luck.

Donate to your favourite charities without it costing you a penny. For more details please visit www.insure4charity.co.uk
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Dec 2006

First I have heard of that Kizan. The interested party should be noted as the mortgageicon provider (in case of a total loss that way the mortgageicon company get their payout).

Some insurance companies do offer an incentive to switch over, so maybe thats what the £25 is for.

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    North of England

Yes sorry guys,

I didn't explain that very clearly.

If you are remaining with your existing lender, in this case the halifaxicon, but wish to change your household policy to another (cheaper) provider, you will need to ensure that the new household policy contains the name of your current lender on it (in this case the Halifax) as an interested party. Normally the lender would charge an adminicon fee of £25 to inspect the new household policy schedule to ensure that both the building sum assured amount was high enough and to ensure that they (the Halifax) were mentioned on the policy schedule as an interested party.

I hope that makes more sense this time

Follows
    Following

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE