• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barclaycard & Microfiche - they are wrong - OFFICIAL

JLW61
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just got a reply from ICO re my complaint...

30th November 2006

Reference RFA0129130

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for submitting your complaint and supporting information regarding Barclaycard. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my reply. Our investigation into this matter has taken longer than initially anticipated.

Complaints such as yours are treated as 'requests for assessments' under section 42 of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act). When we receive a request for assessment, in most instances we have a duty to assess whether it is likely or unlikely that the processing in question has been carried out in compliance with the Act. However, we have discretion as to how we carry out the assessment and as to what action, if any, to take.

I understand from your correspondence that you made a subject access request (SAR) to Barclaycard and made specific reference to bank statements and to charges levied on your account. Barclaycard responded by confirming that it would supply you with information from your bank statements from May 2004 onwards; however statements prior to this date would only be provided at a cost of £3 per sheet. It went on to explain that this was because these older statements were only stored on microfiche which is not a relevant filing system for the purposes of the Act so did not have to be provided as part of a SAR.

It may first be helpful to clarify that although the information contained within your bank statements, such as details of transactions, is considered to be personal data under the Act so must be supplied in response to a SAR, the Act simply states that personal data must be supplied in an 'intelligible form'. This means that the information you have requested must be provided if it is held as personal data, but not necessarily in its original format i.e. as a bank statement.

As you may be aware, the Act only applies to 'personal data' i.e. information which is processed electronically and which relates to a living, identifiable individual. Information which is held in some manual (non-computerised) records can also be personal data for the purposes of the Act if it is stored in what is known as a 'relevant filing system'.

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) produced guidance to help data controllers such as Barclaycard decide whether or not manual records were stored in a relevant filing system; however this was amended following a Court of Appeal ruling a number of years ago (Durant v FSA 2003). In light of the outcome of this case, the ICO revised its guidance and narrowed its interpretation of what constitutes a relevant filing system. This guidance suggests that unless the filing system is highly structured, it will fall outside the scope of the Act and led us to conclude that in our view most manual records fall outside the definition of personal data.

We recognise that the definition of a relevant filing system is open to interpretation and that not all parties will agree. During recent months we have once again been reviewing our interpretation of what constitutes a relevant filing system and intend to publish new guidance in the near future, although this is not as a direct result of the recent issues surrounding bank charges. The new guidance is likely to represent a significant shift in emphasis from our existing guidance and our view will be that many more manual records are likely to fall within the scope of the Act.

Following your complaint and others like it we contacted Barclaycard for a detailed explanation of its microfiche system, including how the information in it is stored and retrieved. It was not clear from the response whether or not the system was a relevant filing system; therefore Barclaycard invited me and a number of my colleagues to inspect it and see the system in operation.

Following our visit, we concluded that the microfiche system used by Barclaycard is a relevant filing system for the purposes of the Act. This means that in our view the information is personal data and should have been supplied as part of your SAR within 40 days and for a maximum fee of £10. As a result, it is our view that it is likely Barclaycard has contravened the sixth data protection principle, as this requires data controllers to process personal data in accordance with data subjects' rights.

As I explained above, we are currently reviewing our guidance on relevant filing systems and are placing greater emphasis on the types of systems that are covered rather than those that are not. This will be based on practical examples of non-computerised filing systems. Our decision in this case has been made with this shift in emphasis in mind and it appears that Barclaycard disagrees with us. In light of the Durant ruling and our subsequent guidance, it is difficult to maintain that Barclaycard has acted unreasonably in this matter and it could plausibly argue that its interpretation and subsequent actions were consistent with the accepted view. If this occurs it will be for the Information Tribunal and ultimately the courts to decide which, if either, interpretation of a relevant filing system is correct.

We have informed Barclaycard of the outcome of our investigation and I will now write to it under separate cover with details of your complaint. If it has not done so already, I will instruct Barclaycard to provide you with the personal data you requested as part of your SAR.

It may be helpful to explain that a contravention of one of the data protection principles is not itself a criminal offence and the Information Commissioner has no power to 'punish' a data controller. In such instances, the Commissioner will seek a resolution to the contravention and once satisfied that it has been remedied then in general no further action will be taken.

In addition, section 13 of the Act gives individuals the right to claim compensation if they have suffered damage as a result of a contravention of the Act. If this is something you are interested in pursuing, I recommend obtaining legal advice and pursuing the matter through the courts. The Information Commissioner is cannot comment or advise upon any claim for compensation.

Thank you for brining this matter to our attention. Your case will now be closed.

Yours sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Casework and Advice Officer

• Haha 1

Action So Far:

HFC - £482.69 - Jaguar Card - Settled in Full :)

HFC - £698.51 - IOD Card - Settled in Full :)

Goldfish £539 - offered full settlement - awaiting refund/cheque.

MBNA (2 Cards) - Goodwill Cheques £1460 accepted - £870 compound interest as well :)

Capital One -£1,115.03 - LBA 6/9/06 - Goodwill Offer £366 rejected MCOL 5/10/06

Citi Cards - £845.38 - LBA 6/9/06 - Goodwill Cheque £273 accepted as part payment

Morgan Stanley - £461.51 - LBA 6/9/06 - Goodwill Cheque £160 accepted as part payment

Tesco - £291.20 - LBA 6/9/06

Marbles - £635.31 - Prelim 13/9/06

Egg - £663.08 - Prelim 13/9/06

Nat West Bank - £9,264.24 - Prelim 13/9/06

Barclacard - Awaiting Statements

Amex - Awaiting Statements

Airmiles - Awaiting Statements

Nat West Card - Awaiting Statements

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You star - absolutly brilliant!

I sent off my complaint a few weeks ago but they said they hadn't recieved it so a duplicate went yesterday - should mean I can get the info to get b@stardcard asap!

Can we claim charges for 6 years prior to our original SAR to b@stardcard rather than the current date on the grounds that they obstructed our claim in order to reduce total of the claim? All my charges are right back near that 6 year threshold so the later they force me to claim the less I can get back?

Anyone know?

Thanks

The Badger

Being a little stupid, can I ask how we can use this letter? Can we refer to the case number from ICO in correspondance to Barclaycard, or is there a data protection issue even in that? Is it simply a case of writing to bcard now on a normal SAR?

Personally, I sent a SAR, and a chase letter when the initial request was denied on m/fiche argument. My intention is to now send a LBA for the statement request on the basis of them already having had my money and not fulfulled the request, and then file in court if they still decline. I may refer to the findings of the ICO in my LBA. Does this seem a fair course of action?

PS VERY WELL DONE FOR GETTING THIS OUTCOME OUT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Darnation I was about to post the same letter as I just recieved it, same date and identical letter as a response to my complaint to the ICO.

I guess I need to write to barclaycard pointing out the error of their ways yet again. :D

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

Being a little stupid, can I ask how we can use this letter? Can we refer to the case number from Information Commissioners Office in correspondance to Barclaycard, or is there a data protection issue even in that? Is it simply a case of writing to bcard now on a normal S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)?

Personally, I sent a SAR, and a chase letter when the initial request was denied on m/fiche argument. My intention is to now send a LBA for the statement request on the basis of them already having had my money and not fulfulled the request, and then file in court if they still decline. I may refer to the findings of the Information Commissioners Office in my LBA. Does this seem a fair course of action?

PS VERY WELL DONE FOR GETTING THIS OUTCOME OUT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.

Just write to them saying something along the lines that following the ICO decision that their microfiche is a relevent filing system you now expect your SAR to be satisfied in full otherwise you will issue proceddings for non compliance without further notice.

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

You star - absolutly brilliant!

I sent off my complaint a few weeks ago but they said they hadn't recieved it so a duplicate went yesterday - should mean I can get the info to get b@stardcard asap!

Can we claim charges for 6 years prior to our original S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to b@stardcard rather than the current date on the grounds that they obstructed our claim in order to reduce total of the claim? All my charges are right back near that 6 year threshold so the later they force me to claim the less I can get back?

Anyone know?

Thanks

The Badger

Its my intention to use the original S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) date as a starting point Badger for the same reason.

They have been deliberately obstructive and dragged this out for 6 months. Now watch the Barclays claims rise rapidly :)

Mine will be going off Monday. They've been stalling since MARCH in my case, and I haven't dealt with it as much as I should have, got my other claims out of the way first.

Mr T., the time of reckoning has come. And it's gonna feel GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOO-OOOD. :mad:

Mine will be going off Monday. They've been stalling since MARCH in my case, and I haven't dealt with it as much as I should have, got my other claims out of the way first.

Mr T., the time of reckoning has come. And it's gonna feel GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOO-OOOD. :mad:

Mine is going out monday as well Bookworm and it's going to be double pleasure for me as this crowd are in serious default of my CCA request as well, having sent nothing but an application form which doesnt even mention the CCA. Oh and i had a final response in relation to my SAR letter.

Guess it's time to wake them up and remind them I am still here :D

I rang the Information Commissioners Office to see if they had got my responce to my complaint and they said they received it 15th Nov. They have given me a Case Ref Number IGL*******

They said it will now go to their Credit dept and will be allocated a case worker.

Its now a matter of time before they write to Barclaycard and tell them they need to supply me with the info I require, then i'll hit them hard.....

Happy days.

Tanz

"...Section 13 of the Act gives individuals the right to claim compensation if they have suffered damage as a result of a contravention of the Act. If this is something you are interested in pursuing, I recommend obtaining legal advice and pursuing the matter through the courts. "

As an elegant bit of reciprocity for Barclaycrud's unlawful attempt to hide behind the microfish red herring obstructing our legal rights under th Data Protection Act, a template for claiming compensation for damages under DPA section 13 would be useful.

I suggest the following as a start. (Shoot me down in flames if necessary)

(Shamelessly Plagarised from justwon's thread Contractual Interest: Full Details of Case against RBS including pleadings)

See below

Sorry- messed up on the cut and paste front. Try again.

1) £100.00 as compensation for the significant inconvenience caused to the Claimant by the Defendant contravening the sixth data protection principle.

2) £500.00 compensation for distress caused to the Claimant by the Defendant contravening the sixth data protection principle.

3) £100.00 to remunerate the Claimant for printing, photocopying, admin, general and other expenses necessarily incurred, and also the time spent in preparation and perusal for this claim;

4) £150.00 exemplary damages;

5) £100.00 aggravated damages;

Oh hooray!!!! Im soo happy, wonder when i will get my letter? how long ago did you complain to the ICO JLW61?

Nadia.

------------------------------------------------

Barclays Current Account - S.A.R 22/09/06 - Prelim sent 23/10/06 - part pay accepted - sent LBA 16/11/06 - Payment out of court March 07. Hooray!

Capital One Credit Card - Sent S.A.R 22/09/06 - statements recived 30/10/06 - Settled Dec 06.

Egg Credit Card - Sent S.A.R 22/09/06 - statements recieved 30/10/06- about to send prelim

Barclaycard - S.A.R 22/09/06 - Microfishe letter - non com. 29/09/06. - wont comply letter - 16/10/06 16 days left- getting nowhere letter back! 16/11/06 Information Commissioners Office compaint - 18/12/06-Statments sent - prelim going out 24/5/07.

Virgin/MBNA - S.A.R 22/09/06 - part pay accepted - settled.

Nads,

Complaint was made about end of September... got a couple of emails saying "it was being looked into".. then this one last week...

Have now written to B'Card asking for all statements plus some compensation for inconvenience :)

I'll post any reply from them here too

Action So Far:

MBNA (2 Cards) - Goodwill Cheques £1460 accepted - £870 compound interest as well :)

Citi Cards - £845.38 - LBA 6/9/06 - Goodwill Cheque £273 accepted as part payment

Morgan Stanley - £461.51 - LBA 6/9/06 - Goodwill Cheque £160 accepted as part payment

am at the stage of about to issue court papers..

40 days was up some time ago.. I was planning on claiming for the 2 years they supplied.. then going after the rest

Now that I have Information Commissioners statement.. have told them I expect additional 4 years statements as part of my original SAR

Action So Far:

Hi i also put in a complaint some time ago now & have just received the exact same letter as JLW 61. No more microfiche treatment for anybody else - hopefully. I had previously started the ball rolling, claiming an estimate for any missing statements.

The Biter Bit !

Im just wondering....can I include a copy of this (including reference) in a SAR?

-------------------------------------------

Mr Pain Vs Barclaycard - Pending

Mr Pain Vs Halifax - Pending

Mr Pain Vs Halifax CC - Pending

Mr Pain Vs Student Loans - Thinking about it

Mrs Pain Vs First Direct Pending

Mrs Pain Vs First Direct CC

-------------------------------------------

this is indeed good news. I've issued legal proceedings and need to submit my documents into the court in the next couple of days. Hopefully this will spur Barclays into settling. I had made the decision to pay for the statements and claim the money back - Barclays were refusing.

Whilst noomill060 came up with some great figures, they almost seem as magical as the ones the banks make up when charging us (sorry - no offence intended). Anybody any idea of a realistic cost we can put on the compensation amount? Any precedent set before us?

Barclays - £268 - Moneyclaim

Capital One - £172 - Moneyclaim

Abbey (2nd claim) - Moneyclaim

---------------------------------------------------

HSBC - £2164.46- PAID IN FULL

MBNA - £471 - PAID IN FULL

NatWest - £307 - PAID IN FULL

Abbey Business - £314.15 - PAID IN FULL

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks